looking for opinions on felliway diffusers.

rona4u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all.  I've been working on integrating my two cats for just over 3 weeks now.  I'm struggling with the patience thing terribly, but am already very attached to the new little boy so really want things to work out.  We've done the scent swapping, tried the crack in the door meetings, and even attempted a face to face.  Decidded maybe I moved a little fast so dropped back to the door meetings.  My newest worry is a couple of times over the last several days during the meeting time my new little man has scratched, pounced or bitten me.  My resident kitty has been getting better, less growly and less hissy and even seemed more curious about his room because we had taken him to the vet for booster shots.  That could have contributed to the bite I got last night.  Everything was moving along well, resident kitty was watching him and he was watching her.  Then all of a sudden he moved away from the door, couldn't see her anymore and bam, bit my leg, hard enough to break the skin through my jeans.  I don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong.  That kind of thing makes me very nervous that he will be super aggressive and mean to my sweet girl and I can't have that.  I had ordered some of the diffusers and they just came so I was just curious of any feedback anyone has.  Thanks.

Sharon, Sugar Bear and Shadow

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While integrating an aggressive and extremely territorial cat into living quarters with two other cats, we used two Feliway difusers in their common area (approx. 1,500 cubic feet) for over a year. I highly recommend them and honestly don't believe my integration situation would have ever worked without the difusers. The space does have to be relatively small for the diffusers to be effective. Others on this site have had good results with the spray too.

Don't be too concerned or frightened about the bite. How old is he? Your little boy was probably agitated and that's why he bit you. In my experience, the agitation is more likely to come from their frustration of not getting what they want (in this case he may have just wanted out of the door) rather than perposeful aggression towards you. They just have to be taught that it is not appropriate to bite.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been recommending the product based purely on reports, but recently I decided to give it a go. 

My two have never been super friendly and the boy will chase the girl around till she hisses at him.  It's no big deal, but I thought I should just see how Feliway works.

I bought a diffuser which I put in one room that they share for several hours a day.  It definitly cut down the hissing. 

But the thing that really amazes me is that my girl, who was never a big snuggler, now insists on sleeping curled up right beside me in bed. And she's nowhere near as jittery about noises and sudden movement.  I'm really thrilled!

So, after recommending Feliway for ages, based purely on good reports, I can now give a good report of my own. 

Good luck!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been using them since June when I moved, introduced a new cat to my two other cats and made outdoor cats into indoor cats.  It was a lot all at once and I really think the diffusers helped.  I still use them because one of my cats just turned one and I noticed that when the diffusers are running low, he gets a lot more aggressive with the older cats (play with me, play with me) and they all seem to be more agitated.  I am hoping to be able to stop using them after the youngest cat gets to be a bit older.