Looking For Larger Particle Clumping Litter

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Help please! We’ve been using Crystal litter, which has become SO expensive, because so much needs to be thrown out every day to keep it clean. I have a rare nerve disease that causes me physical pain to many sounds, sensations, smells etc, and sand is one I cannot tolerate. The first litter I tried was an arm and hammer one that was very fine, sandy and got EVERYWHERE, not to mention it stunk! I’m looking for a clumping litter that has larger particles that won’t track as easily, I find the crystals don’t track as much since they are big. Any suggestions are much appreciated, thank you!!!
EDIT: looking to change to clumping litter! Sorry!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I copied this from another thread although it's from 2013 so I don't know if they're manufacturing it differently now - would it be an option for you?
The Exquisicat crystals vary in size, I'd say the biggest is about the size of a Northern White Bean. It is in a see-through container, though, so you can go to Petsmart and see the crystals yourself. I did notice, however, that the crystals are jaggy like rocks. My kitty doesn't have to stand on the litter, so this has never occurred to me as an issue, but if you're going to use it like regular litter, maybe a smoother shape would be better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I copied this from another thread although it's from 2013 so I don't know if they're manufacturing it differently now - would it be an option for you?
The Exquisicat crystals vary in size, I'd say the biggest is about the size of a Northern White Bean. It is in a see-through container, though, so you can go to Petsmart and see the crystals yourself. I did notice, however, that the crystals are jaggy like rocks. My kitty doesn't have to stand on the litter, so this has never occurred to me as an issue, but if you're going to use it like regular litter, maybe a smoother shape would be better.
Thanks for looking I’m sorry I forgot to say I’m looking to switch to a clumping litter! I’m sorry you looked without that info, sheesh! I’m hoping to find a clumping litter that has larger grains I guess. We are hoping to toilet train, but I want a back up box for sure, if toilet training doesn’t work we will go back to two boxes. :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats wont use most large particle littler, especially the crystals, but they do like the sand like textures of small crystals, and i don't find it tracks bad. i use
Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag

You may want to try one of the pellet litters? my cats were not fans, but different cats. :)
most pellets are not clumping Okocat makes a few, and they also have a clumping wood that is larger particle, but not pellets. none of theirs smell, too me. the paper pellets were not bad, but they don't clump.

Okocat / Litter / Litter & Accessories / Cat - Free shipping at Chewy.com

yesterdays news has a softer texture unscented, mine used it after surgery. the regular news i thought smelled, the unsented did not.
Yesterday's News Softer Texture Unscented Cat Litter

that being said, grass litter is nice, no smell and it clumps well. its nice a fluffy, so light weight, but it will track a bit.

I also use a Littermaid walnut litter, i can only find it at walmart. Fairly light weight, no smell, no dust, and i dont think it tracks bad at all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to worry, I think that was mostly me :thumbsup:
And ironically enough, the litter I actually had in mind but couldn't remember at that particular moment of my earlier post :compsurfing: was the OKOcat wood clumping cat litter. As always, duckpond duckpond got it squared away so I'll just get OUT of the way LOL :running:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just had to copy this and share, from one of the reviews from the OKOcat wood litter...

My old man (11 years old) and my baby girl (1 year old) took to it immediately. My terrible two boy pees in the litter box, but will not poop in it since this litter. But he takes some out of the box, puts it in a pile on the floor and poops there.. But the litter is so great, I do not mind picking up the floor deposits if that is the price I have to pay!
LOL, cats are so weird :lol2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the one in the plastic jug was Walmart's new brand Vibrant Life. I can't find it online but that makes sense because it's new. It was at Walmart anyway, lol. I opened the top to take a sniff and the scent was OK. It seems like the latest trend is larger-particle clumping litters so probably every brand will have one soon.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw a new one at Walmart. . .I think it's a Fresh Step variety? It has larger particles and says it doesn't track. Yep here it is: Fresh Step Clean Paws Multi-Cat Low Tracking Cat Litter

I also saw one in a plastic jug, let me look around and see if I can find what brand it was. . .
I bought a couple of boxes of the Fresh Step clean paws and the particles are definitely bigger. It does track a little but not nearly as much as finer textured clumping litter

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just had to copy this and share, from one of the reviews from the OKOcat wood litter...

My old man (11 years old) and my baby girl (1 year old) took to it immediately. My terrible two boy pees in the litter box, but will not poop in it since this litter. But he takes some out of the box, puts it in a pile on the floor and poops there.. But the litter is so great, I do not mind picking up the floor deposits if that is the price I have to pay!
LOL, cats are so weird :lol2:
Oh my goodness what is wrong with them LOL!! All their ridiculous behavior is one of things we found so hilarious, and moved us to adopt our first cat. My son cried his eyes out when I surprised him with his kitten, and she makes us laugh! I have always been a dog person, and loved some cats too, but always wanted one and couldn’t because my ex had such unbelievably harsh allergies. I adore my dog, he is so weird and very cat like himself, we love them both so much!!! If I could afford it, I would adopt another cat it’s been so wonderful.:crazy: We love our weirdos!:)

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
saw this on amazon, no idea, never tried it. large particles, and clumps? Made out of Tofu??

another one...lol i guess i like to shop cat litter

Oh my goodness what will they make next, lol!! I swear I love Amazon just for always having things like these, thanks so much for looking! I really appreciate it:)

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought a couple of boxes of the Fresh Step clean paws and the particles are definitely bigger. It does track a little but not nearly as much as finer textured clumping litter
Oh I’m glad! I’ve been waiting for some reviews and I’m glad to hear it from someone here, so I can trust your good judgement!:clap2: How is the smell? I think if the OkoCat I just picked up doesn’t pan out (haha) that’s the next one I will try. They were out of the Fresh Step and had the OkoCat, so that broke the tie! I’m starting it this afternoon, the only good thing so far is the OkoCat is so light to carry:thumbsup:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the one in the plastic jug was Walmart's new brand Vibrant Life. I can't find it online but that makes sense because it's new. It was at Walmart anyway, lol. I opened the top to take a sniff and the scent was OK. It seems like the latest trend is larger-particle clumping litters so probably every brand will have one soon.
Thanks for your opinion! I’m so glad I’m not the only person always sniffing things, lol! How do people buy things without smelling them? You should see me in the grocery store lol! I think you’re right about the large particles, I think everyone was trying to fine mill things best, and now we are realizing that actually means dust and it’s so light it tracks everywhere. I’m excited to try it!;)

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so very much, Furballsmom Furballsmom duckpond duckpond W Willowy Neo_23 Neo_23 Kat0121 Kat0121
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your input and efforts- you are the best!!:heartshape: My stupid health unfortunately makes the rules in the house, temperature, smells, textures, sounds, fabrics and any sensation must be carefully chosen, and even cat litter apparently. :cringe: I’m excited to try this new litter, and I got a new box too, it comes this afternoon! It’s supposed to help tracking significantly, and I just bought a good sized rug at TJMaxx to put in the office so she will also have to walk across it. It’s very fluffy and should be better than the mat to clean her paws. I really hope to toilet train, but for now this should be better! Isn’t the box cool? Does anyone have one? Thanks again!!!:rock:
Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Box, Titanium

Last edited:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! I went with the Oko cat litter and after reading reviews use mostly the Soft Clumping, with a litter of the long hair version mixed in. Reviews were just great for the litter, but the tracking was said to be horrendous, and the box is dumb, lol! That litter box nearly ELIMINATES any tracking in the house! I now have a “high tracking” litter that doesn’t track! Thanks so much!!!:heartshape:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! I went with the Oko cat litter and after reading reviews use mostly the Soft Clumping, with a litter of the long hair version mixed in. Reviews were just great for the litter, but the tracking was said to be horrendous, and the box is dumb, lol! That litter box nearly ELIMINATES any tracking in the house! I now have a “high tracking” litter that doesn’t track! Thanks so much!!!:heartshape:
Glad you found one that works for you and your guys! I think Oko cat is a quality litter.