Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful. You are going to have such fun

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHHH yeah! I love them - if you ever need a cat sitter

And the boy is typical - just wait till he hits the "bratty teenage stage from 6 months old on"......we wouldn't trade Charlie for anything; even if he's a brat right now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Oh they are BEAUTIFUL, all in CAP'S! I LOVE their adorable little faces, and those big beautiful ears.
Yes, their ears are funny, like alien antennae...

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they're both great! Ears and all.

Thanks for posting pics, I'm looking foward to watching them grow up on TCS.

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I'll have better pics soon, possibly even some DV on YouTube. (Here is a funny vid of a chocolate silver Ocicat on a treadmill.)

These little rascals are going to be a wonderful addition to our family. We never got to see the Abys in the end but they would definitely have been the next choice of breed.

I just found out that one of the kittens left us a small present on the carpet. Any advice re. how to reinforce litter training?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you keeping them? I'd confine them to one room with food/water and litter pan for about 1-2 weeks till they get used to things. Allowing them free access to the entire house is a bit overwhelming. We let Charlie out under supervision for about 1/2 hour, then put him back in the library for awhile in case he needed the pan.

He didn't have free access unsupervised to the entire house for 3 - 4 weeks

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww
they're lovely. And they will grow into their ears.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful!

I wish more people would be like you Bagher when looking for cats.

Well Done!

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Where are you keeping them? I'd confine them to one room with food/water and litter pan for about 1-2 weeks till they get used to things. Allowing them free access to the entire house is a bit overwhelming. We let Charlie out under supervision for about 1/2 hour, then put him back in the library for awhile in case he needed the pan.

He didn't have free access unsupervised to the entire house for 3 - 4 weeks
I'm in two minds about this, GK, and would appreciate knowing peoples' experiences. The kittens are confined to a little library with concertina gates through which they can see the living room. Their litter is in the downstairs bathroom next doo and another screen prevents them from going upstairs. Already they seem eager to explore and my old Persian seems vaguely aware of their presence but not too bothered. Segregating the cats and cordoning off sections of the house like this is a pain and involves a lot of awkward activity. I'd like to be done with it and it's becoming tempting to let it all hang out. By Thursday all exterior doors will be screened.

Also, how do you suggest we prevent the cats from eating each other's food? Obviously the dietary needs of a geriatric cat are different from those of eleven week-old kittens but they don't know this. What to do, I wonder?

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all they're absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations

Secondly with the litterbox, kittens often can't travel far to litterboxes consistently. So either you have to confine them to one room with a litterbox for a while or make sure you have litterboxes on every floor and maybe even more than one on each floor if the footprint of your house is big.

The recommedation for multiple cats is the number of cats plus one litterboxes, i.e you should have three. This is to prevent psychological warfare around the boxes between the cats. They can sometimes play dominance games and try to block a cat's access to a litterbox just by sitting in a strategic location etc.

Your kittens are still too small for any of that to be a problem but it's something worth thinking about and they are small enough now so they can't travel far for their litterbox.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well said! I was trying to say that, but I was browsing on my phone & was being "cryptic."
Originally Posted by Siggav

First of all they're absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations

Secondly with the litterbox, kittens often can't travel far to litterboxes consistently. So either you have to confine them to one room with a litterbox for a while or make sure you have litterboxes on every floor and maybe even more than one on each floor if the footprint of your house is big.

The recommedation for multiple cats is the number of cats plus one litterboxes, i.e you should have three. This is to prevent psychological warfare around the boxes between the cats. They can sometimes play dominance games and try to block a cat's access to a litterbox just by sitting in a strategic location etc.

Your kittens are still too small for any of that to be a problem but it's something worth thinking about and they are small enough now so they can't travel far for their litterbox.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realised I have an error in my post. With three cats you should have four litterboxes, not three since 3+1 = 4 not three.

Basic math, oops *blush*

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens usually have to use the box, right after they eat and shortly after they wake up from a long nap.

Make sure they know where the box is and that's it's close by for easy access.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, pick up a few extra litter pans to use for awhile. Then you can see how well they all "share" the pans. We have 2 cats and for awhile 2 litter pans, but Ling has no objection to both using the same pan, so I currently have one really big one with plenty of litter.

As far as feeding: do you let the persian free-feed? or does she have scheduled meals? Do you feed wet or dry to her? I'd feed the kittens a scheduled meal about 3 times a day till they are 5 months old - then twice a day.

In both cases, you may have to confine the persian and the kittens in separate rooms till they finish their meal.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my new arrivals, I introduce them over a period of a few days, and segregate them periodically, like if one of the Bengals is threatening to eat them ... but usually after a few days I'll let them start to roam the house. It's pretty standard, at least for my crew, for them to be completely timid and scared the first day or two.. sometimes it takes a little longer. The Pogue didn't come out and start exploring for a good three days.

After they start roaming the house.. but they're still little, I'll lock them up when ever I leave the house, but let them roam when I'm home. Basically, locking them up when they're unsupervised.

I can't really help with the diet, as my old(er) cat and my kitten and the ones in between all get the same diet. (And the reason for that is, just so you don't think I'm nuts.. is that they are on a raw diet, supplemented with a high-protein no grains dry.. and that's recommended for all stages of life, as compared to the commercial foods) So, guess I still might be crazy, but now at least there's an understanding into the reasoning.
When we fed different types of food... we segregated them during feeding time. And if you're free feeding dry, pick the dry up and only feed it at certain times, or... pick it up for a few hours before you feed the babies, so they're hungry, and will eat their kitten food. I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing if they get the other food.. as long as they're getting their "kitten nutrients" as well. Just my personal opinion.. but the breeders on here know more about that I'm sure, or sharky.. who knows nutrition better than I do.

Best of luck, and they're gorgeous!!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I agree, pick up a few extra litter pans to use for awhile. Then you can see how well they all "share" the pans. We have 2 cats and for awhile 2 litter pans, but Ling has no objection to both using the same pan, so I currently have one really big one with plenty of litter.

As far as feeding: do you let the persian free-feed? or does she have scheduled meals? Do you feed wet or dry to her? I'd feed the kittens a scheduled meal about 3 times a day till they are 5 months old - then twice a day.

In both cases, you may have to confine the persian and the kittens in separate rooms till they finish their meal.
I often put down extra "kitten" pans when a new arrival comes.. although you ought to see the large cats trying to use the kitten pans.. but I scatter them throughout the house so there's always one nearby. When they're a little older, I just always pick them up, although, I *know* you're not actually supposed to just remove them.. I've never had a problem with my cats when I did that, and resumed using the "normal" boxes only.