Longest you would leave cats home alone?

gerard danjou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, yes..I thought of taking my cat on a road trip to the states, i.e Reno, but when they say PETS ALLOWED  at the hotel that I was interest in staying at,,they were referring  to dogs , can you Imagine

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had never considered taking a cat with me on a trip before, but now that I have Zapp, I think he may actually enjoy something like that.  The other cats, I'm not sure they'd appreciate travelling.  

I think it's probably most comfortable for the cat to stay in their own home and have someone come over once or twice a day.  As for a boarding service, it would depend on what it's like.  If it's just a cage with a litter box like an animal shelter, I don't think they'd like it very much.  They'd probably be fine, though.  

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi, yes..I thought of taking my cat on a road trip to the states, i.e Reno, but when they say PETS ALLOWED  at the hotel that I was interest in staying at,,they were referring  to dogs , can you Imagine
Cats are much cleaner than dogs. They should aloud cats.

dejolane

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are also quieter, less destructive, and don't need to be taken out for their business.  Very strange.  

jessyboo3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
from experience i would recommend leaving your cat in its normal environment. i left my cat in boarding at a vet and he was stressed he came home with a swollen lip the vet said it was like a fever blister due to being in a new environment and being extremely stressed because they are very territorial. i am actually away from my little guy right now for mothers day and its killing me i have a friend looking in every other day or two days, but im still worried about him i dont think i will be back till saturday, that will be a total of 8 days gone do you think hes ok? i miss him so much

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to drop mine off (my friend has a pet boarding business) for 4 weeks while I moved :( The condo complex I was in decided to do routine exterminating the first week so I couldn't have her there with the pesticides being sprayed or however they do it.. and I had to stay in a hotel during that time because I have allergies to chemicals so she couldn't come with me. On top of that, I had an out of state trip in the middle of everything, and was moving early (breaking my lease) so while I was still having things boxed up, they had workers coming and going to paint and do minor renovations in the unit so they could update it and rent it faster after I left. I couldn't take a chance of her being terrified by the workers or getting out during the day while I was gone (they had permission to enter for the work, and I'm sure the workers weren't going to carefully open and close the door), so I felt it was the safest option, where at least she would be taken care of daily, played with, fed, and have somewhat of a normal routine. She would also avoid all the chaos and stress of boxes, packing, loud noises, strangers etc... I called weekly to check in and she was doing okay. When I picked her up, we had to go straight to my new place so she wasn't going to a familiar 'home', but I gave her some treats and cuddles and she was fine. I didn't even end up needing the felliway spray I'd stocked up on, but she's very confident/adaptable and doesn't frighten easily, so it worked out well. I would never ever leave her that long again, but it was somewhat of a no-choice situation.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One week. My kitty absolutely freaks out leaving home, so it would be very stressful for her to be left at a boarding facility.  Fortunately I have a brother-in-law who comes over 2x daily and will play with her, just sit around with her in his lap while watching TV, etc.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm a lot more heartless than some,
mine are alone all weekend at least two weekends a month!  For the last year I've traveled to see my boyfriend and we trade weekends. 

Originally they were eating wet food and I had someone come in 2x per day to feed them - then came the traumatic weekend when my mom forgot to feed them... ALL WEEKEND.  They were about 60 hours without food when I found out and called my landlady frantic to go and feed them.  After that, I switched to dry (I had been planning to do it anyway) and now they get big bowls of food to eat while I'm gone. 

I just bought a fountain which is awesome and will be a great resource for their water when I am gone... before that I just filled 4 water bowls up to the top and there was usually water left when I got home.

*shrugs* There's three of them and they've grown up together, so I don't worry about them being too lonely.  I miss them of course!  Soon my boyfriend and I will be living together and there will be no more weekend trips.  Yay!

PS - this thread is REALLY OLD!  lol!!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had to left them alone for 5 days, many water bowls, many food bowls, but then it was just three of them and they were quite calm ones, also they were so ferals that they just did hid when they saw me entering to room they were in.

Lot of toys, window to watch birds and other things, also half the room had litter boxes, they do lot of business in 5 days, so they need lot of cat litter to have clean ones after the 5 days, always overshooting estimates a lot, so never running out of anything even one manages to spoil water or two.

Room temperature was also set quite low as they were used to -20C temperatures, low room temperature reduces spoiling of water for example.

That was when I had travelling job, less than 2 days at home then rest of the week out from home.

I had cameras placed to room and I could monitor what was going on, also system did record all the activity which I watched at evenings for great amusement value. They mostly just watched outside world from window.

Then came 3 more of them, 3 little terrors, I would not leave them even for a day because they are completely brainless hyperactive destroying machines that are constantly moving and causing mayhem. Wonderful creatures, but they need constant monitoring, tens of times I have to had grab one as too wild playing at cat tree has caused cat to be hanging from single paw near ceiling, they are so much more alive that there is constantly some accidents happening.

Good thing I don't have traveling job anymore, even that is really not very good as there are no other jobs either because economy situation.

So in short, it depends from the cat that how long it is possible to leave them alone. Also what kind of rooms are available, I made room which only purpose was to be room for cats, with hideouts, climbing shelves, bridge to run to other side of room near ceiling and so on, no single object that could of been moved by cats except cat toys of such quality that can't pose a threat in any way for their health. No curtains to get tangled on, also I made large litter boxes from wood, each were more than 3 times size of regular box, one was nearly 6 times as large as regular litter box, was kind of desert, real pain to scoop, but really nice for cats.

It is not good thing to do, but also it is not fully harmful in some cases. However very tame cats are such that I think they are not very happy if their human is not around, they are different as they haven't had any need to survive on their own, also they have not faced dangers of the world so they haven't learned to be careful, unlike my feral ones, those abandoned tame ones really lack sort of self preservation skills like being cautious or careful, which makes them very prone to accidents, also if I even quickly visit the yard they are already missing me and are very anxious and vocal when I return from yard, so cats are different, so much that I find it being impossible to find only single truth to this subject.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the big quart feeder and waterer but still a two day max for leaving the cats unattended. Will put out 2 extra litter boxes for the weekend, cause I usually scoop daily try not to leave them very often either. Leave an extra bowl of water in the sink in case they soil the waterer. They usually drink from the fish tank anyway!