Little Ginger girl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, some positive vibes please.  Ellie has been missing since last night.  I was not worried at first as she's stayed out all night before, and our neighbors are working on a new deck so likely the noise and people spooked her.  But she's always returned for breakfast and  has never gone far when she goes outside.  But no sign of her,today,  I've searched the area and called and called.  If she has chosen to find a new family that's fine, she is healthy and spayed and has shots now and that is her choice, and we don't have predators in our area. But -- I worry for her. 

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ellie is safely spayed and recuperating nicely at the vet, where she is staying overnight just for a precaution, especially given her respiratory problems in the past (no extra charge!).  She had her teeth cleaned as she had a lot of old tartar build-up but no extractions needed, and her EKG and blood work were fine.  No problems with her breathing either.  She had her shots as well, so when she is recovered she will be able to play outside when she wants to.

Now here is a little mystery.  When my vet just called with a progress report (for which I was anxiously waiting) he dropped the little bombshell that guess what, "she was already spayed"
   But she was not tattooed to indicate that, which is apparently something vets and clinics always do to avoid just this situation of being opened up needlessly.  He said the only alternative was that she never developed her ovaries etc, which would be pretty rare.  If she was spayed, then she is not a true feral (unless she was TNR'd without being ear-tipped, again unlikely I would think) and probably had a caring home at some point in her life.  It certainly wasn't the awful place I rescued her from, those folks couldn't care less about her (I hiss, hiss at that memory!)  Oh Ellie, if only you could talk and tell me your history and how you ended up where you did.  Somehow it seems worse to have suffered so much if she started life as a loved cat with a home, but perhaps that would help explain her huge issues with trusting humans.  I will be sure to whisper to her when she comes home tomorrow that I will never abandon her and she can stay with us as long as she wants to and become a cranky old cat who hisses at everyone if she likes and we'll just say (as I do now) "oh hiss Miss Hiss, you just go ahead and hiss".

which reminds me to ask the vet how old he things she is.  I'm going to stop by later and bring her a little of her favorite food and check on her.

so just a heads up to everyone having cats spayed/neutered to make sure they get their tattoo!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Oh dear, some positive vibes please.  Ellie has been missing since last night.  I was not worried at first as she's stayed out all night before, and our neighbors are working on a new deck so likely the noise and people spooked her.  But she's always returned for breakfast and  has never gone far when she goes outside.  But no sign of her,today,  I've searched the area and called and called.  If she has chosen to find a new family that's fine, she is healthy and spayed and has shots now and that is her choice, and we don't have predators in our area. But -- I worry for her. 
My outdoor cats are all worrying me silly at the moment too. Now that the warmer weather is here they keep taking it in turns to disappear for 48 hours, just as one shows up again another of them will go missing. I think they must go off on hunting trips as they are never that hungry when they get back.

Ellie is used to being outside and she knows the neighbourhood, I hope she's just gone off on an adventure.

Have you tried checking around her old home?

Lots of vibes for you and your girl.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no.  Please come home Ellie.  I didn't realize she was staying out all night.  I hope she is safe.

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no!!!!!
PLEASE God keep her safe and bring her HOME!!!!
I'm so sorry! Please let us know as soon as you know.
I'm worried!!!! :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to read this news.   Hopefully she will find her way back to her safe haven soon.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately she is still missing.  I have scoured the neighborhood and no sign of her.  I have not given up hope that she will eventually come home or has found herself a new home, but I am very worried about her.  However she was on the streets a long time before we rescued her and knows her way around, so we are hoping for the best.  It will be so sad to lose her after she has made such great progress.  The day before she went missing I was going to take photos of her to show how well she looks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Unfortunately she is still missing.  I have scoured the neighborhood and no sign of her.  I have not given up hope that she will eventually come home or has found herself a new home, but I am very worried about her.  However she was on the streets a long time before we rescued her and knows her way around, so we are hoping for the best.  It will be so sad to lose her after she has made such great progress.  The day before she went missing I was going to take photos of her to show how well she looks.
I am just so sad.  I keep sending energy to dear sweet Ellie that she will return home to you.  Please know that you both are in my thoughts.

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I know when our little girl got out we went down to the Humane Society and filled out a missing report offering a reward just encase someone found her and took her there.
Try going out at night and calling her name, just encase she's trapped in someone's garage or shed. It's that time of yr for yard work and she may be trapped.
At night it's quiet and you might hear her calling back to you. Kitties very rarely wonder from home. Especially when fixed.
M
I'm praying for a safe return. Our baby was gone 10 days. We kept food and water outside where we found her eating. Our baby had never been out.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the support and encouraging words.  Yes I have contacted the humane society and animal control (nothing) and posted flyers, have been out every evening calling and looking and talking with neighbors and folks walking dogs who are good eyes to have out there.  I also have a note on the flyer that if you have adopted her terrific, just please let us know!  I've made some interesting discoveries in this trawl of the neighborhood, that at least 3 people within a 5 block radius report "the folks at that house feed a whole bunch of stray cats" - which is something I never knew.  So that means food is available elsewhere, so if she is "on the loose" she may be finding it.  I've also collected several unsolicited donations of cat food, which I don't need but is a nice gesture.

But I too am thinking maybe she is trapped somewhere, that's my worst nightmare, that she is in someone's garage slowly starving to death. I added a note to the latest batch of flyers "please check in your garage". But I'm also hopeful that she may turn up safe and sound.  She has good experience as a street cat in this area and she is well nourished and healthy now, spayed and has her shots, so her chances of survival are much better than when she was sick and starving.  I'm just so sad to lose her after she has come so far, and we've become so attached to her.  Every day I expect to see her sitting on the front door asking to come in, I long to see her sweet face and would welcome a hiss and a swat.

On a lighter note, this evening as I did the rounds calling and looking, I heard a little miaow  and got all hopeful, got down on hands and knees peering into the yard under the fence.  Then I turned around and found the source of the call - Mr. Patches had come out to help in the search - he was right behind me.   He solemnly followed me all around the block again, and every time I stopped to call and listen he stopped too.  So it's not just me looking, Mr. P is on the job too. 

So the wait and search continues,and the prayers for Little Ellie Girl  to please come home, we love you and want you back safely.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's nice to have so many helpful neighbours looking out for her too.

Have you tried going to the house that feed the strays and asking if you can wait around at feeding time? She might show up there.

I really hope she comes home. One of my spayed female cats, Lizzie, was gone for ten days in the middle of the snow season and she made it back home, so don't give up hope yet.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
still no sign of Ellie, but half the neighborhood is looking for her and I have not given up hope.

A strange thing happened tonight.  A man from a few doors down came to my door to say he though a cat was trapped in their garage (on my flyer I had particularly asked folks to check their garages), that he had heard faint cries but he and his wife were not able to open it because their landlord had the key.  I raced over and between us we managed to jack up the door a few inches and wedge a brick in the space.  I called with high hopes .. but when the cat in there finally poked out its head it wasn't Ellie but a stranger, a little gray cat.  I was able to squeeze a shallow bowl of food under the door, the food was all eaten and I refilled it and added a bowl of water.  The kindly and concerned neighbors called their landlord repeatedly until they got hold of him,  he was supposed to come over with the key, still waiting, maybe tomorrow.  I doubt Ellie is in there too, no one else came to the door, but what a coincidence - heaven sent? - that another cat, somebody's cat, will be rescued.  Apparently the landlord had opened the door "some days ago" to access the lawnmower, so for sure this cat would have died from hunger and thirst very soon if the tenants hadn't dutifully checked the garage in response to my flyer.  So that makes Ellie somebody's angel.

So maybe my angel will come home after this rescue, hoping and hoping my little girl makes it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, something good seems to have come out of Ellie going missing. It must be nice to know that you have so many good neighbours too.

I had a very similar experience while I was looking for my cat George. I found a kitten trapped in a garage too, and was able to release her. I also came across a dog that was being neglected and was able to get something done to improve her situation. George never did come home, but I don't think the kitten or the dog would have made it if I hadn't been out looking for him.

You can read my hunt for George here. (Warning: It's a very long thread!)

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/260588/should-i-still-be-hoping-my-missing-cat-will-come-home

I hope your little Ginger Girl comes home soon.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ellie is found  and is safe and sound! 

Apparently she was picked up by a lady on the next block who saw her sitting in the middle of the road.  She runs an adoption shelter and took Ellie there with a view to adoption, and has fallen in love with her and offered to keep her!!  she called me last night having seen the flyer and we had a long talk this morning where I was reassured Ellie will be taken great care of. I will be sad to lose her (although I made clear we would take her back any time) but think she will be happier in a home with fewer cats.  Apparently our Ellie girl is deaf, which we never knew, so cannot go outside, and that would be difficult for us with our in and out lot.  Especially as we are leaving for a month's vacation tomorrow, we have a reliable cat sitter who will be staying here but I wouldn't want to leave her with that responsibility.  I will take her over Ellie's food and snuggle bed etc. later today.  We also share the same vet practice so it will be no problem getting her records etc. transferred.

Here is the kicker.  Her adopter was trying to think of a name for her and came up with "Eleanor" - "Ellie" for short.  And that is her actual name.  So I think we have a destiny thing going on here.

thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers - I am so relieved and happy I could cry at this happy ending.