Little Ginger girl

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update on Ellie.   I love that she knows where home is.   That means she's part of the family now.
  Hope everything went well at the vet today.   And keep the periodic updates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ellie is safely spayed and recuperating nicely at the vet, where she is staying overnight just for a precaution, especially given her respiratory problems in the past (no extra charge!).  She had her teeth cleaned as she had a lot of old tartar build-up but no extractions needed, and her EKG and blood work were fine.  No problems with her breathing either.  She had her shots as well, so when she is recovered she will be able to play outside when she wants to.

Now here is a little mystery.  When my vet just called with a progress report (for which I was anxiously waiting) he dropped the little bombshell that guess what, "she was already spayed"
   But she was not tattooed to indicate that, which is apparently something vets and clinics always do to avoid just this situation of being opened up needlessly.  He said the only alternative was that she never developed her ovaries etc, which would be pretty rare.  If she was spayed, then she is not a true feral (unless she was TNR'd without being ear-tipped, again unlikely I would think) and probably had a caring home at some point in her life.  It certainly wasn't the awful place I rescued her from, those folks couldn't care less about her (I hiss, hiss at that memory!)  Oh Ellie, if only you could talk and tell me your history and how you ended up where you did.  Somehow it seems worse to have suffered so much if she started life as a loved cat with a home, but perhaps that would help explain her huge issues with trusting humans.  I will be sure to whisper to her when she comes home tomorrow that I will never abandon her and she can stay with us as long as she wants to and become a cranky old cat who hisses at everyone if she likes and we'll just say (as I do now) "oh hiss Miss Hiss, you just go ahead and hiss".

which reminds me to ask the vet how old he things she is.  I'm going to stop by later and bring her a little of her favorite food and check on her.

so just a heads up to everyone having cats spayed/neutered to make sure they get their tattoo!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is great news. Poor sweet Ellie, no wonder you react the way you do!
Where I live it's not uncommon to get cute little kittens and lose interest when they grow up. It breaks my heart. Human beings are the cruelest creature on the planet. Now I know not all but they are the only creature who feels justified to torture, mutilate and kill for the pleasure. I'm so glad you found her. She will learn, in time, to trust you. You are her angel.

I never knew about the tattoo. It's a great idea.
Ellie I know you'll have a great life and never have to worry about your future. You are truly LOVED!!!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love hearing happy happy updates.  Poor sweet Ellie.  If only she could talk and tell you about her past.  Someone once did care enough for her to have her spayed and then what happened to her and how did she end of up with those awful neighbors.  She knows she is in good hands now and has her forever home with lots of love and fun and lots of other cats too. 

Mama Patience has come such a far way too.  What a wonderful home you have given them all!!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great to hear the update!   Aww, poor Ellie, yes, wouldn't it be so nice if our babies could talk & tell us of their past!  That's nice that they aren't charging you for the night to keep an eye on her. It's also good news she got her teeth cleaned & didn't need any extractions.

Angel had 2 extractions 3 yrs. ago, & one more this past February!  

I'm glad she is doing well! 

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick update:  Ellie is doing really well since coming home.  She's had no respiratory issues, stitches seem fine, and she's eating really well (more than every before, including a little raw fish and meat), so maybe her teeth were a bigger issue than I knew.  She seems really happy to be home and has come upstairs a few times already and seems more confident and less hissy, she's been purring when I pet her and  rubbing her head against my hand for more. Mr. Patches came to visit her this morning and although she hissed at him she held her ground and didn't bolt back to her bed, and after he had moved on she sniffed where he had been, so that's a big step forward.

I have to give great kudos to my vet practice, who really took great care of her including her EKG and blood work and the overnight for observation and four days of pain meds and a "call any time if you have a problem". Yes a killer bill compared with the clinic, but I think in the case of a cat with fragile health it's worth the peace of mind to have that kind of care.

She's such a sweet girl, I will try to post more pics.  Oh and she's gained almost two pounds, now up to 7.5 (at least five years old!)

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A quick update:  Ellie is doing really well since coming home.  She's had no respiratory issues, stitches seem fine, and she's eating really well (more than every before, including a little raw fish and meat), so maybe her teeth were a bigger issue than I knew.  She seems really happy to be home and has come upstairs a few times already and seems more confident and less hissy, she's been purring when I pet her and  rubbing her head against my hand for more. Mr. Patches came to visit her this morning and although she hissed at him she held her ground and didn't bolt back to her bed, and after he had moved on she sniffed where he had been, so that's a big step forward.

I have to give great kudos to my vet practice, who really took great care of her including her EKG and blood work and the overnight for observation and four days of pain meds and a "call any time if you have a problem". Yes a killer bill compared with the clinic, but I think in the case of a cat with fragile health it's worth the peace of mind to have that kind of care.

She's such a sweet girl, I will try to post more pics.  Oh and she's gained almost two pounds, now up to 7.5 (at least five years old!)
Wow up to 7.5 pounds she was really small and in desperate need of help. I'm so glad she has you and she is doing great!

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she's a tiny and fragile girl, which is why I thought she was really young.  When I first rescued her she was all bones and staring fur and no meat at all on her, from a long history of malnutrition, so she's made great progress to gain 2 pounds.  I can still feel her back and hip bones when I stroke her, but her flanks have filled out quite a bit and she has a nice little belly now.  The totally best thing is her face and eyes which are alive and alert now, and no longer gummed up with discharge, she actually looks like a regular cat and not a starved rat!  She's going to be a pretty girl (I call her my pretty girl all the time) and although I doubt she'll ever be "big" she is filling out nicely.  I am loving her rare but precious purrs and the way she sometimes reaches for my hand when I pet her, no longer with claws and bites but tentatively wanting loves ... like "don't stop, I do like it really, I'm just still a bit scared of being touched". 

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update - Ellie is doing great

She healed nicely from her op and has become more affectionate and confident although still a bit of a scaredy-girl around our other cats.  Slowly she is coming upstairs more and more.  We just started a major kitchen renovation (actually delayed a week to allow her recovery time) and I was very concerned that she would panic and get stressed out, but she seems to be taking it all in stride.  No more respiratory problems, and boy if she'd have them it would be now with all the dust, so I'm convinced it was a stubborn URI plus food allergies.  She continues to do well on Red Barn grain and gluten free food, and is eating voraciously since having her teeth fixed, I'm sure she's gained more weight and her coat is starting to get more sleek and lustrous looking.  She will truly be a gorgeous girl soon!

She worried me yesterday when the contractors were here ripping old cabinets out - she went outside when they left the door open (despite my pleas not to do that thing!) and when I came home from work I couldn't find her!  But all was well, I opened the basement door and when I checked  just before bedtime (for the umpteenth time after much calling) there she was peacefully sleeping in her basket!   She got up and spoke to me quite loudly "where's my dinner" which is another step forward as she is usually quiet apart from hissing.  Clearly she has no intention of leaving us, though I'm sure she's puzzled why all the noise and why the food bowls are in the living room instead of the kitchen.

For anyone new to Ellie's rescue story, it has been nearly five months for her transition from starving and sick semi-feral; a "don't touch me" cat who gave me some nasty scratches and bites for me to remember that by to her present state, illustrating once again the time and patience needed to gain the trust of an (older) abused kitty whose memories clearly haunt her.  So if any of you are in that situation, please please don't give up and be patient! 

Oh, and speaking of Patience (momma to our 3 rescue kittens), last night she was PLAYING with the brown paper from our latest food delivery!  My cranky food-obsessed slightly paranoid girl is finally losing a little weight and realizing there is more to life than food! 

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear how well she is doing as well as Patience! It's so true about taking the time with them. We don't know all they went through. If only they could speak. They are so resilient. I don't think I could ever trust again given the ordeal they have been through!
It sure warms the heart when they do begin to trust. They know you love them!!!!!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find it funny that you started a major kitchen renovation. We started what was supposed to be a three day job a month ago.

Almost done, kind of. We got counters last night. Hoping to install the dishwasher and sink tonight.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, kitchen renovation is a nightmare, another week at least to go.  But Ellie doesn't seem to mind, she seems happy and glad to have a home and good food and go outside a little when the weather is nice. 

We've had a new drama here with Little Grey (Pandora) one of our adopted ferals who injured her tail last week,  not sure how as it wasn't immediately apparent but it made a nasty abscess. I was able to drain and clean it with a hot compress and then took her to next day to our vet thinking follow up antibiotics might be indicated, and the exam revealed a quite extensive wound (happily shallow, but long) in her tail. So now after thorough cleaning and antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and pain meds and sutures she has a big bandage and e-collar and is confined to inside for at least a week!   Poor little girl, she is not happy with confinement or the collar,  but she is milking her convalescence for all it's worth by demanding lots of fuss and attention and her own special shallow food and water dishes so she can manage to eat and drink with the collar.  Back to the vet (great folks, such good care they take) on Tuesday evening for a dressing change and check up.

So how you ask does this relate to Ellie?  Well Little Grey has taken to lying on the top of the basement steps and exchanging LONG staring matches with her.  She's never bothered with Ellie before, it's always been Mr. Patches and Picassa who have tried (without much success) to make friends, Little Grey has just ignored her.  But somehow being injured has conjured an empathy with our little orphan girl, and some slow bonding seems to be going on.  They aren't actively engaging one another, just sitting a few stairs apart looking and - dare I hope - exchanging some sort of sympathy signals.  I've seen a few slow blinks between them, so for sure something is going on.

Cats are mysterious in their ways. 

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed, something is definitely going on between Ellie and Little Grey girl, they've stopped hissing at one another and seem to be actually seeking each other's company, YEAH

Today I took Little Grey to the vet after work for a bandage change (her tail is healing up well and she will soon be ready to have the stitches and the dreaded e-collar removed) and  when I came home with her and let her out of the carrier both Mr. Patches and Picassa came to check she was ok, then all demanded (belated) dinner!  Mr P and Picassa wandered off to play after eating but LG sat on the (new!) kitchen tile rejoicing in being home, and who should come upstairs to visit her - Ellie!  Not much happened, they just sniffed each other, but my heart rejoices at this sign of integration into the family.  Clearly she recognizes that something is wrong with LG and she has morphed from "threat" to "friend"! 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news. Way to go Ellie and Little Grey kitty.

It sounds like they are finally getting used to each other. I guess after a while they will just accept each other as family and won't be able to remember a time when the other wasn't there.

Hope the whole family stay happy and healthy from now on.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohmygoodness I had a lot of catching up to do!

:wow: Spayed? Friends with Little Grey? Oh this is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart2:

She has come SUCH a long way! :rub: She's learning to trust again. Oh this is just wonderful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed we have made great progress in the past few weeks.  It's probably stretching it to say Ellie and Little Grey have become "friends", but definitely some degree of empathy was going on between them, especially when LG first came home with the dreaded e-collar and the other cats were wary of her for a few days.  They didn't seem to realize at first that it was her under that peculiar head gear, Picassa even swatted and hissed at the collar a few times, much to LG's distress.  But Ellie, having been subjected to the collar herself, seemed to understand and they would spend ages lying on the top of the basement stairs and a few stairs down respectively looking at one another while everyone else was outside (LG being confined to quarters during the healing process).

Ellie has been coming upstairs more and more, and although she still flees from the other cats and gets hissy if she's cornered (although happily no physical action) she and Little Grey just skirt around each other like "I'm ok with you,  just respect my space".   They do make eye contact on those occasions so I'm very hopeful!  The only downside is that Ellie has started raiding the other cats food as well as her own grain and gluten free variety.   So far no real problems except intermittent return of a watery eye, but I will have to watch that.  I've switched our 'supplementary' dry food to a mix with primarily grain and gluten free kibble which they all like (except Ellie, who still shuns kibble) but they won't eat the grain free wet food, so there's not a real possibility of switching everyone.  Oh well, we will figure it out.

Little Grey's tail is now healed, she had her stitches out on Tuesday afternoon and was very pleased to have her bandage removed and be allowed outside again.  Now we are just waiting for her fur to grow back where it was shaved so she doesn't look like a poor little orphan! 

Sorry to hear about Pawley's bad behavior, I'll post on that thread later. 

Thanks to everyone for your interest and support in Ellie's long journey.  She's a really good example of the rewards for persisting  with an abused rescue cat and giving her plenty of time and space to adjust.   This weekend I will try to get some photos to post so everyone can see how far she's come; she's gained plenty of weight and her fur is much cleaner and smoother and her eyes are bright and alert!,  I believe she is enjoying her new life!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love reading your updates and journey with Ellie.  She has come so far!  I would love to see pictures of her transformation.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I should have put "friends" in quotes. ;)

I'm sorry that Ellie raiding the other cats' food is causing the watery eye - but I love that she's heading upstairs more! Little by little. :rub:

Yes, pictures, please!