Lip licking cat

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
However, his surgery is on Monday, so he should get through the weekend just fine.  If you can't tell if there is blood, it should keep till then.  IF, however, he should start peeing solid red, GET HIM TO AN EMERGENCY VET IMMEDIATELY!   I really doubt that this will happen.  Deep breath, Darlin.  I know you are worried, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't an oncoming train!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys. I'm sure he'll be fine. I don't think there is any blood, but I was just wondering. He has cream colored beds, so if he was peeing blood, I'm sure I'd see stains somewhere.

Asti's breathing has been pretty normal lately. He's still eating & drinking his normal amount. He's been a bit restless, but he still has times where he'll sleep a good amount of time. He's also been seemingly nauseous recently & licks himself quite a lot, especially his belly. I hope all of these bad things go away after his surgery.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that much of it will.  I know when I have an arthritis flare-up and am in constant pain in my hip, I can get a little nauseous from it.  Poor Asti.  If only there were some way to explain to them that it will all go away soon, and they will feel much better!

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asti's surgery is tomorrow & I'm freaking out so much. [emoji]128547[/emoji]

Today he hasn't even eaten a full can of food, which is unusual. He usually finishes 2 cans (or close to it) by midnight.. Also, (I'm not sure if I've mentioned this) since he was impacted by feces & we changed his diet, he's been pooping very dark stools. Like blackish color. I brought a picture to the vet & she says it looks like a really dark brown to her but I'm still worried. This has been going on for a month now. It isn't mushy or anything. It's actually very formed. Is it unlikely that he has upper GI bleeding? The vet said it might be due to the change in diet but she doesn't think it's a problem because it has been going on for so long.

I'm just so nervous

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to figure out how to answer this post without TMI.  Pretty sure I'm going to fail.

Food can stain poop.  Fat can play havoc with poop.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trying to figure out how to answer this post without TMI.  Pretty sure I'm going to fail.

So you don't think it's a GI problem as well?? I guess I'm trying to find some reassurance. When the food he eats dries out, it does turn a lot darker. & what do you mean fat can play havoc with poop?? Like it can change the color as well?

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asti's surgery is tomorrow & I'm freaking out so much. [emoji]128547[/emoji]

Today he hasn't even eaten a full can of food, which is unusual. He usually finishes 2 cans (or close to it) by midnight.. Also, (I'm not sure if I've mentioned this) since he was impacted by feces & we changed his diet, he's been pooping very dark stools. Like blackish color. I brought a picture to the vet & she says it looks like a really dark brown to her but I'm still worried. This has been going on for a month now. It isn't mushy or anything. It's actually very formed. Is it unlikely that he has upper GI bleeding? The vet said it might be due to the change in diet but she doesn't think it's a problem because it has been going on for so long.

I'm just so nervous
Your anxiety may be rubbing off on him. Cats can tell. My boyfriend told me a few weeks ago, "if you act like Meph is dying, maybe she thinks she's dying!"

Don't worry hun 
 we're here for you!

I can't say anything about the poop. Definitely the diet can affect the color of stool. Even in people, have you ever eaten fresh beets and then freaked out like crazy the next day? haha, it turns both urine AND stool red. So definitely the food can have an affect. I haven't gone back to check what specific food your feeding but it could definitely be the cause.

A photo is good, but next time bring it in, lol. You say it's formed, but how's the consistency? Firm but still squishable? Or kinda hard? Need more data! ;)

Big breath, Asti's going to do fine!! Try not to worry. Eat ice cream. Or whatever your dessert of choice is. 

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, TMI.

If you are not used to fat in your diet, it gets squishy and floats.  But if you are used to fat and remove it, everything is firmed up.

And poop can be all sorts of interesting colors and still be normal.  Red, green, orange, I've even seen what I swear is black in the toilet.  But a lot of time it's based off of what you ate the night before.  And since cats eat the same darned thing every day, they are going to get the same staining every day.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much. I always appriciate the information, even about poop [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]. & everyone always makes me feel so much better.

Nevroth, it's not too squishy. It's more one the hard side, bUT not like when he was constipated. My mom says the same thing to me about Asti! He probably thinks he's dying because of me.

Arouetta, I understand what you mean now. Thank you for clarifying. It makes me feel so much better knowing it's probably normal. He's never had this color until he started eating the CD wet food. I'm going to see if they have another blend of it & see if it changes the color.

I'm going to try to relax for the rest of the night & cuddle with him for as long as he'll let me. Thank you all once again. [emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji] say a prayer for us tonight.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LOL...never TMI where the health and well-being of our cats are concerned!  One of our threads for a cat with serious IBD is filled with cheers every time there is poop, and we all want to know how much, what color, and what texture!  Never mind the HUNDREDS of close-up photos of random kitten fannies whose owners want to know their sex!

Now, @MerlotandAsti  , you do just what you said.  Relax, cuddle, and try NOT to worry!  Tomorrow will come, the surgery will go well, and after a few days, he'll be a different cat.  FINALLY totally pain-free!  I am so happy for both of you.  You will, of course, keep us posted about the surgery and recovery.  Don't MAKE me come up (out? over?) there!

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Asti just got out of surgery & they said he did really well & is now recovering. They got all of the stones out! His vet said thay his bladder was really thickened & inflamed so it seems that he has had the stones for quite awhile & that it's a really good thing that we got them out of him. He has to stay at the hospital over night to make sure he urinates properly & that no problems arise.

I hope that when he comes home & when he's fully recovers that he isn't nauseous or has any more problems. I'll continue to update everyone on how he does. Thank you for all of your support!!

It's going to be strange to spend the night alone without my little buddy, but I know they're taking good care of him at the hospital.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got to bring my buddy home today. He was making an awful noise on the way home.. but the vet said he did well & showed me his xray, which showed no stones. She also talked to me about his pre-anasthesia blood work. One of his kidney levels was high, one of his pancreas levels was high, & a level that showed inflammation was high. The inflammation one was from his bladder. But she said we don't need to worry about the other two. They sent him home with Orbax & Onsior. I'm a little worried about over medicating him because she already gave him another convenia shot & now I have to give him oral antibiotics as well...

My poor buddy is acting weird & uncomfortable. As soon as he got home, he gobbled down every last bit of food like he was starving. There's an indention in his belly where they did the surgery. Maybe it's because he is overweight.. he acts like he doesn't know what to do with himself & he keeps licking his lips. I'm not sure if he could be nauseous from the anesthesia or maybe his pain meds. I wish I knew how to comfort him.

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YAY! I'm glad he's at home now. How is he feeling? He underwent a big surgery, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in a little pain. He's probably stress licking again 

Don't worry! Hopefully in another day or two he'll be much happier. At least he's eating!! The antibiotics are important so he doesn't get an infection. You have to give him all of it! Keep us posted!

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YAY! I'm glad he's at home now. How is he feeling? He underwent a big surgery, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in a little pain. He's probably stress licking again :sigh:

:alright:  Don't worry! Hopefully in another day or two he'll be much happier. At least he's eating!! The antibiotics are important so he doesn't get an infection. You have to give him all of it! Keep us posted!

:vibes: :heart3:
He keeps going to the litterbox & barely getting anything out. My poor baby is so uncomfortable. He won't stay still for more than a few minutes. I wish he would just get some sleep. His genitals are bloody & idk why. I took a picture to the vet & they said it was normal but it just looks awful.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Having had kidney AND gall bladder stones removed, I can tell you that he is NOT feeling well right now, but that things will improve fairly quickly.  The fact that he is eating well is the best sign there is.  No more sick, just sore.  As for the weird noises...Have you ever spent time in a hospital recovery room?  LOL...I have...was a respiratory tech for years.  LOTS of weird noises after surgery!  

Keep an eye on him, and let him find his own comfort zone.  He'll bounce back quickly, and be a far, far happier cat!

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having had kidney AND gall bladder stones removed, I can tell you that he is NOT feeling well right now, but that things will improve fairly quickly.  The fact that he is eating well is the best sign there is.  No more sick, just sore.  As for the weird noises...Have you ever spent time in a hospital recovery room?  LOL...I have...was a respiratory tech for years.  LOTS of weird noises after surgery!  

Keep an eye on him, and let him find his own comfort zone.  He'll bounce back quickly, and be a far, far happier cat!
I know he's in pain. I just wish he would calm down & stop straining himself. I don't like seeing him in pain :((

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Since he just had surgery on the bladder I wonder if it's swollen and that in turn is tricking him into thinking he has to go to the bathroom when there's nothing in there.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
EVERYTHING down there is sore and feeling funny to him.  And the worst part is we can't explain it to them.  That's why an animal in pain, or a very young child, is the hardest thing in the world to watch.  You just feel so helpless.  But he will bounce back fairly quickly.  Hang in there.  Vent here all you need to so that you can stay calm for him.  He needs that more than anything else.  He's taking his cues from you.  If you are worried and tense, he will be, too, and that will make him hurt more.  Vent away, Darlin.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to let him do his thing but he goes back there every few minutes & now he's yowling at me... I don't know what to do.

I was told that the irritation from his surgery makes him feel like he needs to go. But this is really excessive. Hopefully he'll calm down & sleep tonight. I don't know if the straining is bad for his incisions or anything. I hope it isn't.

Sometimes I forget that he doesn't realize why he's in pain. I keep trying to remind myself that

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is he doing today?  I was offline when you posted that last message, and JUST got it!  

For some reason, three days seems to be the magic number for all things medical for all living creatures.  By the end of the third day, pain has diminished considerably.  Sometimes before, but at least BY then.  Crossing my fingers that you get a "before."

How are YOU holding up?