Lily is having emergency surgery, please send prayers

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to read that Lily is feeling better and getting back to her own self.

I agree with whoever said to give the vet a call to get your lab results.

I'll be watching for news.

felineorc

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just dropping in to see how things are going - glad to hear that Lily is feeling better.

Hope you get the results soon. Here are some more vibes for a favourable result:vib es:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took cococat's advice and called the hospital yesterday and again this morning, the lab results came in this morning.

The doctor said it's not cancer, but there are still two options what it might be: FIP or a bacterial infection. Since Lily is recovering very well, the doctor said she's leaning towards the bacterial infection.

I asked why Lily's white blood count could be good if it's FIP, and she said the count goes up initially, then levels off again later, so that's why it's still a possibility. Since the lab already has the tissue samples, she has okayed for them to run the FIP test. Then we will know for absolutely sure.

Also, I have switched vets on the doctor's recommendation we have a new one. Funny enough, it's the vet my best friend takes her kitty to.

Thank you once again, everyone.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I took cococat's advice and called the hospital yesterday and again this morning, the lab results came in this morning.

The doctor said it's not cancer, but there are still two options what it might be: FIP or a bacterial infection. Since Lily is recovering very well, the doctor said she's leaning towards the bacterial infection.

I asked why Lily's white blood count could be good if it's FIP, and she said the count goes up initially, then levels off again later, so that's why it's still a possibility. Since the lab already has the tissue samples, she has okayed for them to run the FIP test. Then we will know for absolutely sure.

Also, I have switched vets on the doctor's recommendation we have a new one. Funny enough, it's the vet my best friend takes her kitty to.

Depending on the FIP test, it should possibly just show there was an "exposure" to coronavirus. In my experience, a cat with FIP doesn't get better.
and has a terrible fever that can't be brought down. (so what I'm trying to say, is that I think she doesn't have FIP, in my opinion)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Depending on the FIP test, it should possibly just show there was an "exposure" to coronavirus. In my experience, a cat with FIP doesn't get better.
and has a terrible fever that can't be brought down. (so what I'm trying to say, is that I think she doesn't have FIP, in my opinion)
Thanks, that is a good opinion!

The surgeon said we will find out for sure if she has FIP, since the only way to do that is testing the actual tissue (not through a blood test), and they have the tissue from the surgery. I agree, she is doing really well, good appetite, usual Lily. It's not often you say, "yay bacterial infection!"

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

I am SO THRILLED - answers to our prayers, for sure!
Hope you're doing okay, too, Mommy!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - not often you cheer for bacterial infection - but let's hope that that's what Lily has and that it can be treated quickly and successfully. Many

snp81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it's not Cancer & hopefully she will continue getting better & make a full recovery.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you got the results back and it isn't cancer. Hope she continues to get better and back to her herself as soon as possible.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news
I'm so happy to hear that it wasn't cancer.

Fingers crossed now that they come back with bacterial infection

It's lovely to hear that Lily is getting back to her usual self

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The surgeon said we will find out for sure if she has FIP, since the only way to do that is testing the actual tissue (not through a blood test), and they have the tissue from the surgery. I agree, she is doing really well, good appetite, usual Lily. It's not often you say, "yay bacterial infection!"
YAY it's not cancer - and I'm SO GLAD to hear she's feeling so much better - and it does feel strange to say "let's hope it's a bacterial infection," but that's what it is!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, one hurdle down and one more, possibly, to go. I'm so very glad Lily is doing well! Do you have any idea as to when the FIP testing will be completed?
Still sending loads of for a full recovery for your precious Lily.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am SO SO SO very happy to hear this
More loving thoughts and positive vibes for next test results!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was scratching my head over this "FIP test" until I saw this post. As far as I know there is no test to positively identify FIP until the post mortem (after death). But tissue samples from inside during exploratory surgery....that can be tested for FIP?

I too am celebrating the not cancer diagnosis and hoping for a diagnosis of bacterial infection. Is Lily already on antibiotics?

Anyway I'm glad you are switching vets, too. How is our Lily today?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad you finally got the lab results back and that they were good. Now, continued vibes that she does NOT have FIP:

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad she's doing better. She's just adorable. I'm hoping along with everyone else that the test comes back negative.

Robin