Life in Danger.

jazmynn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know where you comming from. My fiance and mine's old roommate (who made threats to beat me up because I supposedly said he was homosexual) moved into the apartment next door to us and would come over and ask my fiance to "step outside" then continue to make threats against us. It even got to the point that he would send strangers to knock on our doors late at night with their hands in their pockets and looking very etchy. We moved, managed to make ammends, and are happy now.

My suggestions are: 1) break your lease and move out. If you have police reports filed, have a copy of your contract, notified the landlord of their threats AND you can state the dates you've notified your landlord of the activities it would definately hold up in court that you had reason to move. If your landlord tells you he will take you to court, tell him you'll meet him there gladly AND you'll counter sue for the court costs and moving costs. Even if you were to loose at least you'd be out of the complex. 2) Play nicey nice with the neighbors untill you get out of the complex. Go up and "apologize" about calling the police frequently and tell them youdon't want to fued with them anymore. You just want to live as neighbors. Get air purifiers for you home, and perhaps listent o your own radio late at night to help put you and your child to sleep. This way you won't have too much "beef" with them untill you move out. This will give you time to find a place that accepts animals. 3) Find a trailor court to move into. Almost all courts have a place to rent, the homes can actually be VERY nice, and they allow indoor pets (for the most part). Some may charge a fee but pets are definately worth it! 4) Look for loop holes in your contract. If your going through one person and not a company or anything chance are there will be LOTS of loopholes in your contract. If you can find a legitimate one, use it. Keep yourself and your son, and your pets safe.

Either way goodluck. Keep us posted and stay safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is such a long story (sorry)

So I moved here last November and at the time our landlords name was Corneilus. He sold the property and the new landlords tookover the property on Jan 1st of this year. Coneilus knew Patricia (the mom) who lived up there for a year before we moved. Chris(her son) got out of jail at the end of October and moved in with mom for Nov so Corneilus didn't really know what a trouble maker he is, plus under the contact, he isn't even suposed to be living there.

The situation now is that the women who owns the building is in another province with her dying mother and has left her S/O or husband(Richard) (not sure if they're married or not) to take in rent and such.

I've talked to them on many occassions about the smoking. Heather is much more effective when it comes to dealing with them.

The last convo I had with Richard was about everything. Patricia complained to him about me phoning the cops on them while he was there fixing their taps. He came down to ask what was happening. He said he had know idea. He thought the smoking was the only problem (even though I've phone multiple times about drug use and death threats against my dog). I told him that they do drugs on the property and wouldn't be surprised if they weren't selling on the property too. They are constantly drunk and parting and playing loud music and plus the smoking. I also informed him that Chris made death threats against me and my family or atleast implied that he knew people who could make other people disappear and that even if they get evicted I am still moving because I don't want phyco's to know where me and my family live.

He said he completely understands and next time I have any problem to phone him and the cops so he can be there when it happens.

He also said he has to wait for Heather to get back to evcit them(place and everything is in her name), but that is what is going to happen.

I also informed him I have a place investigating the other tenants for illegal activity and that the rentalsmen (agency that controls tenant/landlord issues) that I could make a claim against Richard and Heather for a new damage deposit, moving expenses and extra monthly costs as I shouldn't be the one having to move. The situation could have been avoided if they had acted sooner and just evicted those people off of prior offenses.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jazmynn

Good for you way to take action! I hope things work out!
I really do too. Thank you
It's tiring and fustrating but I need to fight and stand up for what's right but also balance that with a good dose of safety and knowing when to put my pride and principles aside for the sake of my family's safety.

meowsas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why not move now?
while you can?
Ask the landlord to waver your months notice and get out asap.
Can you imagine what will go down while these people leave having been evicted? then afterwards.
Keep safe.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowsas

Why not move now?
while you can?
Ask the landlord to waver your months notice and get out asap.
Can you imagine what will go down while these people leave having been evicted? then afterwards.
Keep safe.
That is a scary part of the situation. I have no idea how they'll react. I have no money to move right now.

In order to move my landlords would have to return my damage deposit early like now. Plus I am a student with no income right now and we can just barely afford the place we live. This is the aweful and fustrating part of my situation is that either I stay where I am, move out of town or move to a worse area than I'm already in.

If I can hold off on the moving until August 1st so that I can give a months notice, then my landlords may be willing to give us our damage deposit back early and then we can secure a new place.

I'm going to have to end up doing community service to pay off my ticket from my dog. (300 bucks worth) becauase I can't even afford to pay that.

I feel like I darned if I do and darned if I don't. Go figure.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I agree too!, call the police and let them know that this individual is threatining you now, I'd also let the landlord know.
I definitely agree. Even if you don't think it's that serious, a police report now could help you later if anything ever escalates.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has recommended this, but maybe you should call an attorney who handles landlord/ tenant disputes to discuss the situation. Often times they offer free consultations. I think the landlord might have an obligation to do a bit more than he is in a situation like this.... I would look into it. You don't have anything to lose my doing so.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I got good news tonight from my landlord. The upstairs people are getting evicted as of the 1st. They don't know it is coming yet because my landlord wants to make sure they get rent from them first. I am really over joyed. They are also never allowed back on the property again ( there are four suite. Two on each side and Patrica and Chris are upstairs, we live down here and then Patrica's daughter rents out the top half on the other side.) and if they do, Patrica's daughter will be evicted too.

we also have a new tenant agreement. There is a downside to it through. I won't be allowed to keep my dog anymore.
But I was trying to find her a good farm home since she got out so I guess it's ok, but I was hoping to get her.

silvermoonmyst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that is a terrible situation. i can only hope that they dont become vindictive to you. Im glad they are being evicted. Its good. I only hope that things get better for you now!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yea, I forgot to add that as soon as they find out they are evicted, I am getting a protective order against Chris.
So if they do try something, he will just end up going back to jail.

I don't think we are going to move anymore, unless, after the 1st, they start something.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad the landlord is doing something about this!
Hope everything works out, and I think it's a great idea to get the restraining order.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I'd get a restraining order just to be on the safe side. That way, if something does happen, you will have already had the order in effect.
I guess I'm just paranoid about things like that though. Hopefully things will resolve themselves peacefully!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Canadian law, once a tenant has threatened to assault the landlord or another tenant they only have to give 24-hr notice that they must leave the premises permanently... otherwise they'd be able to stay at least 14 days from the notice of eviction.

You might want to bring that up with your landlord.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

According to Canadian law, once a tenant has threatened to assault the landlord or another tenant they only have to give 24-hr notice that they must leave the premises permanently... otherwise they'd be able to stay at least 14 days from the notice of eviction.

You might want to bring that up with your landlord.
Wow thanks. I wish I would have known that when it happened. That was a week ago. I wonder if it would still count?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call your local prosecutor's office (called District Attorney, in our area) and ask their advice. This is the sort of thing that makes all of us law-abiding citizens so angry

You have a right to peace & clean air in your home!!! People like that make me mad

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I talked to my mom tonight and she thinks that even though those people are getting evicted, we should still move.

I really don't want to give this place up. It's in a good location, right beside a big park and schools, where I can walk my dog (well not for much longer unfortunately) and I can afford the rent and bills.

She just said that she was worried about the backlash. To be honest, the people upstairs are really unpredictable so I don't know how they'll react. I don't know if they'll blame us or what.

I was scared enough to move a week ago, but I think I'm rationalizing not moving to myself. I don't know what to do at this point.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel in danger than perhaps even if they get evicted your best option is to move. I've gone through a similar situation involving of all people my own family. We had a disagreement they got verbally abusive and threatening.....went so far as to stalk my house since we lived nearby and make a false social services report on us.

Before they made the report they threatened it...so we had already begun plans to move. When social services showed as (we had expected they would even though we weren't told they had been called, if that makes sense)....we told them we had plans in the works to move due to being afraid of (of all people) my own family.

They didn't have a problem with it so here we are. We have since (and I'm talking in the last week), picked up and moved straight out of town, no, make that the whole state....we just moved....because it was the right thing to do for the safety of our family (and my sanity which is still on the rocks cause of the whole situation).

You want to be safe and if you feel as though your life or well being is in danger then the best thing you could do for yourself and your little darlings I see there in your siggy, is to get the heck out of dodge.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have updates for you all on my situation.

The neighbors got their eviction notice a couple days ago and so far nothing has happened. In fact, they haven't done anything bad at all, including that they stopped smoking inside. I guess they just needed to find out they can't get away with stuff like they think they can.

They also have not said a word to me or anyone else and I don't think they blame us at all, which is great. I think they think that Heather(landlord) has wanted to evict them for a while, so it's been coming.

On the bad side, we got a new tenant agreement and I cannot have dogs anymore.
So this past weekend, we took Gracie to DH's parents farm for her to run around on. She misses us, but she is a lot happier with free roam of that big yard. My son misses his "lil sister"
It's hard, but this way atleast we can visit her a lot.