Licking and kneading tail - getting serious...

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My 6 month old kitten Mishka constantly licks and kneads his tail. He does it whenever he seems comfortable like after he eats and when the whole family is at the table having dinner. He looks to be in a trance like state when he does it.

It seemed strange at first but we just thought it was soothing for him. Now, though, he does it too often. His tail is not as fluffy as it should be. Yesterday a chunk of hair fell off his tail (oh, and I found him tossing this chunk of hair in the air and playing with it...). He now has a tiny bald spot on his tail...

He also had a problem with a hairball a few weeks ago which I believe will only be aggravated by his constant tail licking. 

He is a very happy kitten and always playing. So I don't understand why he should be doing this and, especially, to such an extent.

If anyone has any suggestions, tips or advice please do share.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hm.  That's pretty odd!  I've never heard of a cat that actually kneads on himself.  I've definitely heard of cats licking themselves bald, but they are usually stressed out, and from what you've described, that doesn't sound like your Mishka

Just to be safe, did you check the bald spot to make sure there doesn't appear to be any sort of bite marks (like by a flea or some other little insect) that could have actually caused him issues, or a rash of some sort?  Is he still licking in the same exact place? 

I just had a thought...is he really licking, or is he maybe suckling at his tail.  Suckling and kneading together sounds more likely, and that would indicate to  me that he was taken away from his mother too early, but of course, there is nothing you can do about that now
.  If he is truly licking, then everything I read indicates it's either:

1)  parasites

2)  food allergies (and I've never heard of them licking their TAILS for food allergies, but it's possible)

3)  stress

4)  boredom

Has anything changed at home that may have triggered this behavior (thinking maybe it's stress you're not picking up on)? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Mrsgreenjeens! Thank you so much for your reply and the advice!

Firstly, I am so sorry but it is actually suckling and not licking. I didn't describe it properly. He was about 5 weeks old when we got him. I hope it wasn't too early... Oh, and he purs when he does it. So that's most likely the reason. I feel bad now...sorry Mishka.

About the other things, just to put your mind and mines at ease:
1) We have checked for parasite, thankfully he doesn't have any.
2) I don't think he has any allergy, there's no other symptoms.
3) He is too spoiled to be stressed haha. My parents care more about him than they do me and my sister... We buy him something everytime we go out.
4) We play with him or give him a toy everytime he seems to be walking around aimlessly.

Nothing has changed at home.

Again, thank you for your reply and help

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, 5 weeks is very young to be separated from his mother, and this is what sometimes happens, although I've never heard of a kitten doing that to themselves.  Usually they will do it on a family members' ear or a blanket or something like that.  

I'm going to ask to have this thread moved over to the behavior forum and see if anyone over there knows if there is any way to redirect him to where he doesn't suck himself raw

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mrsgreenjeens. I don't fully understand how the site works just yet but I think I'll get the hang of it soon.

I really appreciate all your help!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, this is not an abnormal thing in kittens, taken to young from their mom's, to do. He is comforting himself. Like a child who sucks it's thumb. You are right to be concerned though, as he could certainly start getting sores on his tail from the constant suckling. You can try and substitute his tail with something more appropriate, such as a small blanket, stuffed animal, or other cat safe toy. These have to be non toxic fabric, with nothing he could ingest, such as eyes, whiskers, ect. Rub the object with your scent or even his own scent, and when you see him starting to suckle his tail, try and redirect him to the preferred item. It will take some time and being consistent. Most cats do outgrow this behavior. My male was a suckler, but he suckled on me lol. He stopped before he was even a year old. Hope this helps.

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Katluver4life! Thanks for the reassurance and the tip. I will definitely try that! Wish us luck.