Let's find some positives in all of this.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this has me chuckling. USA Today had an article saying adult night night clubs across the US were being impacted by the virus. Does this warrant front page? How many of us are thinking about the economic stability of nightclubs at this point? No articles on pet shelters but covering adult night clubs?

Last edited:

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I got to stay home for a few weeks, lol.

I took the dogs out last night and it was absolutely SILENT. Not one sound. Usually on still nights I can hear the interstate 6 miles away even if there's no local traffic. It was kind of weird but also nice.
The train tracks from my part of new jersey to New York City runs across the street from my house, the train station is stops at is 0.4 miles.Every 20min, we get patio furniture rattling, the train horn/whistle sound, and the screeching sound of a train breaking.

We're numb to it. But it wasnt until I read your post, I haven't heart any of that for a week, which was the original reason we left the windows shut at night (totally forgot about that!)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but DOLPHINS are swimming in them!
I misspoke. The dolphins are not actually IN the canals, but in the ports, which were too polluted for them until now. HOWEVER, the canals are so clear that fish can be seen swimming in them.

Life hasn't changed much here...yet. It will. Although my life will only be minimally impacted. I'm disabled, and only go out once a month for grocery shopping, and every 3 months to my doctor's appt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed the sheets on the bed yesterday, and I noticed a small wear hole in it. I pulled at the hole to see if the sheet was still salvageable...a small hole is not a big deal for me. but it ripped a bit more..the fabric in that area is way too thin...funny I didn't notice it when I made the bed originally...
But now, if I need it...I have a nice soft queen sized flannel sheet I can cut up, that can be used as toilet paper! LOL! That should feel nice on the tushie!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed the sheets on the bed yesterday, and I noticed a small wear hole in it. I pulled at the hole to see if the sheet was still salvageable...a small hole is not a big deal for me. but it ripped a bit more..the fabric in that area is way too thin...funny I didn't notice it when I made the bed originally...
But now, if I need it...I have a nice soft queen sized flannel sheet I can cut up, that can be used as toilet paper! LOL! That should feel nice on the tushie!
Flannel make wonderful cleaning cloths (of all kind)!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another good side effect:
"Traffic-related crashes in Washington fell by two-thirds last week compared to 2019, data show
As more drivers are heeding pleas to avoid unnecessary trips, motor vehicle crashes in Washington fell 67% last week compared to the same time period last year, according to reports from the Washington State Patrol.
During the third week of March last year, there were 2,014 crashes. Using the same time period, weekday collision data compiled by the personal injury firm Davis Law Group show there were 656 crashes.
Across Seattle, the number of traffic crashes was 76% lower between 2019 and 2020. Throughout King County, crashes were reduced by 75%."

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
we decided to recall the paradoxical breathing exercises :)
Well that's interesting. I saw you describe them in another thread. In my neck of the woods, paradoxical breathing means breathing that needs to be modified because it's all wrong. Most people actually do breath paradoxically. If I ask students to take a deep breath at least 90% will suck their abdomens in, which is paradoxical. I spend a lot of my time teaching people correct breathing. :lol:

Which brings me to the positive.. so much more time for many for breathing practices and meditation.
Time to see if we can still our monkey-minds.
As Thich Nhat Hanh, the great Vietnamese Zen Buddhist said
You can't calm the storm so stop trying.
Instead, calm yourself and the storm will pass.

I can't hold regular classes, so am working on going online, recording etc. It's quite exciting. After 25+ year of face to face teaching, a new challenge. :)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this will greatly positively impact what we do about the climate change. This was a firsthand experience how quickly things can go downhill, not just for "underdeveloped countries" but even the most modern, most well-educated ones. (It was undeniably a silent thought you know. "Oh it's because they are not developed...") How science should be a priority and is THE only solution - I personally also believe there will be an increase on both funding and more people will turn to study science.

And of course, I think people will re-check how we treat other animals. Or how we live our lives in general.

I am not doing all well during this time but I've never been more optimistic about the earth's future. Stay safe you all 💚

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard that florists are one of the few businesses that are doing well here in the UK, since we just had Mother's Day on Sunday so many people ordered flowers from their websites to send to mothers in self-isolation.
Coronavirus: start‑ups ready to bloom in a crisis
I think this will greatly positively impact what we do about the climate change. This was a firsthand experience how quickly things can go downhill, not just for "underdeveloped countries" but even the most modern, most well-educated ones. (It was undeniably a silent thought you know. "Oh it's because they are not developed...") How science should be a priority and is THE only solution - I personally also believe there will be an increase on both funding and more people will turn to study science.

And of course, I think people will re-check how we treat other animals. Or how we live our lives in general.

I am not doing all well during this time but I've never been more optimistic about the earth's future. Stay safe you all 💚
I hope this will change people's attitudes towards campaigners like Greta Thunberg who work so hard on climate activism. Hopefully COVID-19 and the positive impact self-isolation has had on the planet will make people think "oh, maybe she had a point after all".

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been swamped at work. But the positive thing is that this has really allowed my abilities to shine through I think. I think my managers realized I'm more capable and knowledgeable than they had assumed. I'm hoping there will be a promotion or something for me at some point in the future.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari , that is really nice of you. And that looks like it might be great cat entertainment too.
It would have been nicer if I'd rescued all the school's pets instead of just my class's, but I couldn't bear anything happen to Myrtle. It's a Catholic school, so the priest will probably feed the others, but I just felt better bringing her here.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And here goes Sparkle. The girls are finding the positives in this!
0325201527b.jpg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though I earn money from GPT sites I'm taking a break through this and binging on ID shows. Kind of nice to relax for a change and not have to struggle 18 hours a day making money.