Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still make something like that. I scramble a pound of hamburger, add a cup of rice (cooked first), chopped onions and celery, sprinkle of salt and garlic powder, and black pepper. I don't like the veggies in there, so I don't add those but make them separately. Since I live alone, I prepare food ahead of time. For this, I eat one serving, and freeze the other three portions. This is one of my favorite meals. 

About the angel fish in a 10-gallon tank. It's true, they never got to be 6-8 inches long. They were about 3 inches long, but they were still beautiful. And tame as I said. If you got close to the tank, they would swim right over to look at you.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Great babbling news!  It sounds like the interview went really well, Donutte.  And great that you heard back Tallyollypia.  (For some reason, I can't tag anyone.)  Plus there is cutie pie Echo who will hopefully get a home soon.  And soon we will hit 2000!  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, don't know what's going on here, but think I mentioned already that our Solar Water Heater broke down and we had a flood in our garage and partially in the house?  Well, still in the midst of working on getting that cleaned up (still have bar walls down to the studs in the garage and waiting for insurance to finish up with the claim, and now my oven blew up
.  Well, not literally, but the heating element caught on fire while i was preheating the oven, so IT appearently blew up
.  Good thing I have a crock pot and that our microwave can also serve as a convection oven as needed.  You know how things happen in threes?  I'm just trying to think of something else that has already happened,!  Hopefully something already did and I didn't think too much of it.  Otherwise.....

On another subject @Anne, I think your trip to Oregon/Alaska sounds great.  You remember I drove down from Alaska to Arizona in October that year and wrote about it?  It was great fun even though harrowing at that time of year!  August should be great...perfect time of year.  Perhaps a little chilly up there.  I don't know.  Last time I was in Alaska in August it was in the mid 70s and felt hot
.  This coming from someone from Arizona

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting @Tallyollyopia. I'm happy they finally called you. That has to be a huge relief after such a long, stressful wait.
Well, the wait's going to be just a bit longer. Apparently there's a computer error that they can't get fixed until Monday morning, so I'm supposed to go back Monday afternoon. 
 I want to start working already! 

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens have you broken a nail lately? Maybe cracked a dish, scratched a piece of woodwork, put a dent in a can, burned a meal? Any of those things could be counted as one of 3 things to happen! :idea:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay @Donutte! So happy for you. That's great news.

@Handsome Kitty one of my favorite whole 30 meals is also the simplest. Brown 1 lb. Ground beef with half an onion. Then add 1/4 cup, canned coconut milk, 2 cups frozen broccoli, 2 cups frozen carrots, 1 tsp curry powder, salt and pepper to taste. It's great for those days when everything goes wrong as it only takes about 15 minutes to cook. You can mix up different kinds of veggies in it too. I like cauliflower and carrots just as well. I always seem to have broccoli on hand, though.
That's a great idea.  Yesterday I made chili w/ground beef, carrots, celery, onion and tomatoes and some spices.  The recipe also called for zucchini but I didn't have any.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@mrsgreenjeens have you broken a nail lately? Maybe cracked a dish, scratched a piece of woodwork, put a dent in a can, burned a meal? Any of those things could be counted as one of 3 things to happen!
Ooh, yes!  I think I've done ALL of those within the past week or so.  I KNOW i've broken a nail, just yesterday.  And darn it all, it had a pretty blue polish on it that I don't have any of 'cause I treated myself to a pedicure.  Luckily it's my little toenail that broke,so it doesn't show too much

I sure hope that counts as the 3rd item

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
got the cats groomed today. 
Will post photos once phone charges. I was awake at 3am worrying about how to be calm and collected while restraining my hellions. I tried really hard not to be nervous because Honeybee was growling when she clipped the claws. I was hoping she would behave. She did better this time. Only tried to bite me five times. Last time she had to wear a cone of shame because she bites the clippers and the groomer. Even with the restraining of her scruff that didnt stop her. This time we were finally able to clip her armpits. She hates her front paws/chest messed with. But she calmed right down after. She is an energizer bunny. 

Floey just hisses and howls. She hates being on her back even with a cushion under her. So her haircut didnt come out as neat looking because I told her to use a longer comb-I should have let her use the shorter one. I need to bath her and see if the dirty fur looks better after. She has gotten alot of dandruff. And looks like she lost some weight. I have been cutting back the amount of kibble I leave down at night. So she did ok but seemed her sides were tender to the touch. We have already done tons of tests and ultrasounds and found nothing. So I wonder if she gets gas from the miralax-this is finally the thing that is helping her stay regular. So tomorrow supposed to be hot=and now the long hair kitties don't have to be too hot!

@Donutte   Good job on the job interview-you are going to be an inspiration for the rest of us stuck in a rut. For now I will stay where I am for the summer. This fall I will see what is available near me as long as I dont have anymore financial hurricanes.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hadn't considered that.  The muzzle went on after lots of hissing and swipes.  I don't know what country he was from originally but he was very quiet when he spoke and didn't seem to have the confidence I've seen in other vets.  I just assumed he was fairly new.
He may have felt uncomfortable with his ability to handle her; cats sense that and it worries them.  It also seems to worry them when people try too hard to make friends with them.

Well, there are some people most cats just don't like. I don't know if it's scent, or if it's physiology, or even some kind of chemistry that doesn't mix right, but there are some people that cats hate on sight. I had a lot of trouble with that as a kid, and I think the only reason why our cats like me is because not only am I the caregivier (food, litter, grooming. etc), but we've had most of them since the day they were born (quite literally). Then again, cats love  RB; even shelter cats fawn all over him. (And he, of course, doesn't notice.) 
Yes, that goes along with cats feeling better about people who don't try too hard to be friendly.  Have you ever noticed that if there's one person in the room with an allergy to cats, that's the person the cat gravitates to?  It appears to be because the person with the allergy is trying really hard not to attract the cat's attention.  (And one must hope that it's not a severe allergy, because there's a big difference between can't stop sneezing and anaphylactic shock.)

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

OK, don't know what's going on here, but think I mentioned already that our Solar Water Heater broke down and we had a flood in our garage and partially in the house?  Well, still in the midst of working on getting that cleaned up (still have bar walls down to the studs in the garage and waiting for insurance to finish up with the claim, and now my oven blew up
.  Well, not literally, but the heating element caught on fire while i was preheating the oven, so IT appearently blew up
.  Good thing I have a crock pot and that our microwave can also serve as a convection oven as needed.  You know how things happen in threes?  I'm just trying to think of something else that has already happened,!  Hopefully something already did and I didn't think too much of it.  Otherwise.....
Mars is retrograde.  People get more heated, arguments break out, and any appliance having to do with producing heat, or things like solar power, go haywire.  Hang in till the 8th...I think...thereabouts.  Mars retrograde is a real lady-dog, although not so bad as Mercury retrograde, which messes with any and all communications.  I might as well put my old Computersaurus Rex in a closet during Mercury retrogrades.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeling poor today. Ended up having generic boxed mac & cheese with a can of generic mushroom soup for dinner. I call it tuna surprise (surprise! there's no tuna!). I haven't made it in ages and it's as fantastic as I remember. I used WAY too small of a pot though.

I think this weekend, I will try something I came across many months back. It's actually something for a SNAP challenge, but it's a stir fry made with veggies, ramen noodles and home-made sauce. (using soy sauce, brown sugar and sriracha). It sounds REALLY good and pretty inexpensive, so gonna try that this weekend :D

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeling poor today. Ended up having generic boxed mac & cheese with a can of generic mushroom soup for dinner. I call it tuna surprise (surprise! there's no tuna!). I haven't made it in ages and it's as fantastic as I remember. I used WAY too small of a pot though.

I think this weekend, I will try something I came across many months back. It's actually something for a SNAP challenge, but it's a stir fry made with veggies, ramen noodles and home-made sauce. (using soy sauce, brown sugar and sriracha). It sounds REALLY good and pretty inexpensive, so gonna try that this weekend :D
That tuna surprise actually sounds delicious. Do you use the mushroom soup to make the Mac and cheese instead of milk and butter?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
That tuna surprise actually sounds delicious. Do you use the mushroom soup to make the Mac and cheese instead of milk and butter?
It can be, and I considered doing that today. But I decided to do it the way I always have and used butter and sour cream. I never use milk.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He may have felt uncomfortable with his ability to handle her; cats sense that and it worries them.  It also seems to worry them when people try too hard to make friends with them.

Yes, that goes along with cats feeling better about people who don't try too hard to be friendly.  Have you ever noticed that if there's one person in the room with an allergy to cats, that's the person the cat gravitates to?  It appears to be because the person with the allergy is trying really hard not to attract the cat's attention.  (And one must hope that it's not a severe allergy, because there's a big difference between can't stop sneezing and anaphylactic shock.)

Margret
When I was a kid I had a bad problem with cats attacking me for no reason. When I was four I got attacked by the barn cat on OGM's property (still have the scars today), about five or six years later dad got married to the ex-step-monster and her cat, Garfield, would attack me (and it was not  play) every chance he got. I lived in terror of that cat until someone ran it over (I'm not sure it was an accident--I wasn't the only one he kept attacking). Back when I was in high school we thought about getting a cat, so we went up to the SPCA to adopt one. (This was before the building burned down--all the animals were saved--and they moved to a new location.) There was this one cat, a Russian Blue, who looked just like Tom from Tom and Jerry, that I went to pet. (All of the cats were available for visitors to pet--there were no warnings or even an isolation period from when they were brought in to the time they were put out for human interaction.) The cat chomped down on me mid-purr (with absolutely no  warning or change in behavior!), and--well, that killed our ideas of getting a cat. (We did get two dogs--a street stray we named Merlin and one from the SPCA named Goku.) 

And then I watch my brother walk into the lobby of the shelter and have all the cats (who, when I walk in, are indifferent) mew for his attention and try to play with him just from him walking in. (And--he--never--notices!) He wonders why I get a little bit tetchy. (We get the cats their shots through the shelter.)

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, she has five (used to be six) cats. How did that happen? Well, IB noticed that one of his friend's cats was getting picked on by the other cats (they had twenty--not their fault, they just couldn't say no to a furry face and several of them were transitory), and even the humans were treating it poorly. Then the kitten (about three or four months I think) plopped into his lap, and he fell in love with her blue eyes (which are now green). (Where did the other cats come from?) Well, AWM, RB, and IB were determined that Rose (the first cat) needed to be allowed to have a litter. I found massive amounts of online materials about how cats who are fixed before their first heat live better lives, I got research books on the subject (courtesy of Miss Janet, our cat-crazy friendly reference desk librarian who whole-heartedly approved of my quest), and the only thing I couldn't get (because no one would call me back) was veterinary testimony about the health differences between a cat fixed before her first heat and one fixed after her first litter. We kept the kittens. (And when they were big enough I moved mountains to make sure that every last one of them got fixed--I did not  ask!)

Sorry, I know that's not really on subject, but I just finished texting with IB (who moved to Virginia) where he was accusing me of not caring for his (his?!) cats properly. (His  cats? I'm   the one who's been taking care of most of them since the day they were born, and I'm the one who's been taking care of Rose since she came into the house!!!)

Sorry. I'm ranting again. To be honest, I've never seen a cat make a beeline towards someone with a cat allergy, but that's mostly because I don't know anyone who has  a cat allergy. (Dog allergy, dust allergy, goldenrod pollen allergy--but not cat.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to throw Da Bird in Da Trash. Hekitty is completely obsessed.  She would happily chase that little bundle of feathers for 10 hours a day.  She come to my chair and mews pitifully until I give up and grab Da Stick.  The bad thing is, when she's really tired of chasing it, she still wants me to swing the darned thing so she can just sit there and watch, fascinated!!!   HALP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.