Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cheesy work cell phone doesn't
It's a "fake Blackberry" type phone. I get way too many telemarketing and junk phone calls on my work cell phone and I have never given the number out to anyone. The most frequent one is from Verizon calling about a recent bill. My work cell phone is on AT&T service, not Verizon. Then there are the messages left in Spanish about winning a vacation getaway. If I don't recognize a phone number, it's sent directly to voicemail.
Well, fortunately that's your work phone, so you're not paying for the extra minutes.  Sending them to voice mail is a good option, except that then you still have to wade through them to find your genuine voice messages.  The one from Verizon is probably about an account that used to have the same phone number.  I've gotten quite a few of those.  I once got a text message from a young man asking his mom for a loan to get him and his wife through the weekend -- his mother had apparently gotten a new phone and let the number on the old one lapse, and didn't give out her new number to her son!  (Of course, considering the kind of texts he was sending her, I can understand why.)

Margret

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anne Anne I took one picture of Autumn playing with her new toy. I'll have to get more of the other cats playing when they wake up. They're all zonked out right now, lol. They played themselves into a long nap.
View media item 349108Its a little blurry because she was going bonkers with it!

kntrygrl256 kntrygrl256 Oh yeah, definitely. They've already picked out nearly $200.00 in items. They must be getting to re decorate!

@MServant I was shocked at how fast they came. I figured it would take a couple of weeks, at least. Looks like they have a speedy process. That's good, because I will ordering some items. They have some great items for cats.

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks @MServant. I have applied for a mobile home. My best friend took me out looking Saturday and I found one that my DD and myself really love. I know it's sad about the house but I believe things happen for a reason so I'm not going to dwell on it.

I turned in my application for the mobile home today and already found a place to put it. I talked to the MH dealer and he said I should not have ANY problem getting one. He is even the one who gave me the owner of the lot where I'm planning on putting it. Maybe this is God's way of saying I need to be closer to my friends and family instead of out in the middle of nowhere.

It also has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, not just 1, so my cats will still have their own room and since it will be mine I can still foster. I'm just taking things day by day right now. I'm afraid to get happy or excited about it yet. I'll celebrate when I can spend the first night in my new home.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks @MServant
. I have applied for a mobile home. My best friend took me out looking Saturday and I found one that my DD and myself really love. I know it's sad about the house but I believe things happen for a reason so I'm not going to dwell on it.

I turned in my application for the mobile home today and already found a place to put it. I talked to the MH dealer and he said I should not have ANY problem getting one. He is even the one who gave me the owner of the lot where I'm planning on putting it. Maybe this is God's way of saying I need to be closer to my friends and family instead of out in the middle of nowhere.

It also has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, not just 1, so my cats will still have their own room and since it will be mine I can still foster. I'm just taking things day by day right now. I'm afraid to get happy or excited about it yet. I'll celebrate when I can spend the first night in my new home.
That is very true. God knows what we need better than we do. I do sooooooo hope you find the right place soon. It is wonderful when you can finally be settled and make a place your own. I'll be praying for you!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
@kntrygrl256   While I feel sad about the home falling through, I think  this is a great opportunity..

It sounds as if the mobile home is really large.. that is great...

I am starting to really believe that things happen for a reason. Lately I have seen that occur so often in my life, and is what happened in the past.. one thing led to another--good or bad...    
   ((hugs))  

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mine doesn't. Mine doesn't hook to the net, doesn't allow me to download more ringtones, take pictures, or anything that most people take for granted with their phones (even some flip phones). All it does is send and receive calls and texts. That's it. 
Try Googling "how do I enable caller ID blocking on my [name of your phone]".  You may be surprised.  The worst that can happen is that there will be no good answer.

For what it's worth:
  1. It is illegal in the U.S. to make automated spam calls to cell phones, and it is the obligation of the spammer to know that this phone number belongs to a cell phone.  If you're getting these on your cell phone you should keep track of the number the call came from and report them.
  2. The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. To register by telephone, call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). You must call from the phone number that you want to register. To register online (donotcall.gov), you will have to respond to a confirmation email.  (Copied and pasted from the FTC's website: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0133-cell-phones-and-do-not-call-registry.)
  3. There is no deadline for registering your cell phone for the Do Not Call Registry.  It does take a while, however, for the registration to take effect; the government sends out updates at specific times.  It is the legal obligation of anyone selling things over the phone to buy a copy of the list and integrate it with their calling list.  Cost of doing business.
  4. The Do Not Call list does not apply to either charities or politicians.
  5. If you're getting calls from a creditor looking for the previous owner of your cell phone number it's worth using up the minutes to talk to the caller and let them know that you're not the person they're looking for.
  6. Our land line home phone has been on the Do Not Call Registry since it began.  I once got a call from someone trying to sell me a fancy walk in bathtub.  When I informed him that this phone number was on the Do Not Call list, so his call was illegal, he said, "Well, technically I'm not selling anything, so I'm exempt."  (i.e., the call may have been annoying but it was legal because he wasn't empowered to actually make a sale over the phone.)  So I said "And we both know that you're splitting hairs, and you've just informed me that if I ever am in the market for a walk in bathtub I don't want to buy it from your company."   He hung up the phone very suddenly and I haven't heard from that company since. 
I hope that at least some of this helps.  I've been fighting this particular battle, with both cell phones and land lines, for a very long time.

Margret

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the sunny Southwest. New Mexico. Today the 17th of May it is all of 53 degrees with every indication that it will be even colder tomorrow.

Mook refuses to get out of her heated bed. Mercy remains hopeful that Mook will get up an play sometime today.

Mercy and I had a rousing game of kitty under the newspaper.

My husband opened a window. In a solid vote of 3 to 1 he lost and the window is now shut.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Try Googling "how do I enable caller ID blocking on my [name of your phone]".  You may be surprised.  The worst that can happen is that there will be no good answer.

For what it's worth:
  1. It is illegal in the U.S. to make automated spam calls to cell phones, and it is the obligation of the spammer to know that this phone number belongs to a cell phone.  If you're getting these on your cell phone you should keep track of the number the call came from and report them.
  2. The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. To register by telephone, call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). You must call from the phone number that you want to register. To register online (donotcall.gov), you will have to respond to a confirmation email.  (Copied and pasted from the FTC's website: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0133-cell-phones-and-do-not-call-registry.)
  3. There is no deadline for registering your cell phone for the Do Not Call Registry.  It does take a while, however, for the registration to take effect; the government sends out updates at specific times.  It is the legal obligation of anyone selling things over the phone to buy a copy of the list and integrate it with their calling list.  Cost of doing business.
  5. If you're getting calls from a creditor looking for the previous owner of your cell phone number it's worth using up the minutes to talk to the caller and let them know that you're not the person they're looking for.
  6. Our land line home phone has been on the Do Not Call Registry since it began.  I once got a call from someone trying to sell me a fancy walk in bathtub.  When I informed him that this phone number was on the Do Not Call list, so his call was illegal, he said, "Well, technically I'm not selling anything, so I'm exempt."  (i.e., the call may have been annoying but it was legal because he wasn't empowered to actually make a sale over the phone.)  So I said "And we both know that you're splitting hairs, and you've just informed me that if I ever am in the market for a walk in bathtub I don't want to buy it from your company."   He hung up the phone very suddenly and I haven't heard from that company since. 
I hope that at least some of this helps.  I've been fighting this particular battle, with both cell phones and land lines, for a very long time.

Margret
I have had the exact same argument. Their theory was they weren't selling anything just calling to ask if someone could call and try and sell me the whatever he wasn't really selling but would like for a qualified salesman to call me to pitch it. And I did. Just not the way they hoped.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there's now nomorobo dot com. it's free through many/participating phone service companies. the system design or set up was the one that won the FTC's robocall challenge. i set it up through my time warner (phone service) account, and now i just never answer a phone call on the first ring. that first ring is for the nomorobo service, and if there is no second ring then the call was a robocall/reported number (in nomorobo's database). peace has returned to my little slice of the world -- rarely do i get any robocalls these days. here's the website, for those interested -- https://www.nomorobo.com/

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried it, and Nomorobo told me that AT&T landlines don't support it. 
 Sounds like a good deal, though. I have Caller ID, and I just don't answer the ones I don't know. I don't get robo calls on my cell phone, thank goodness.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like a good deal, though. I have Caller ID, and I just don't answer the ones I don't know. I don't get robo calls on my cell phone, thank goodness.
I have a rule. If a face or ID doesn't pop up and they don't leave a voicemail the caller is SOL.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For what it's worth:

Margret
Good thing I'm neither politician nor charity! 
 I'll have to look into it.

In other questions, do you know what makes a cat's eye larger than the other eye and "u" shaped? There's a stray hanging around the yard that looks like that.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, me neither. I don't get too many robocalls - maybe once in a while.. Telemarketers though seem to call everytime from different numbers.. even if they are from the same company and for the same purpose..

I just don't pick up whenever I see an unknown/withheld number and that's it. No matter how many times I have complained to Vodafone about not allowing to give my number to telemarketers, they just fail to keep their part on the bargain.. 

Maybe I have this disease, when I speak and no one seems to listen to me.. 

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margret

The Do Not Call registry doesn't work. I've been registered for years and still get hundreds of calls per month. I've reported the calls many times, but nothing happens. The callers spoof phone numbers so the call can't be traced. I've even had my own name and phone number show up on Caller ID. The FTC is working on this.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good thing I'm neither politician nor charity! 
 I'll have to look into it.

In other questions, do you know what makes a cat's eye larger than the other eye and "u" shaped? There's a stray hanging around the yard that looks like that.
Larger how?  Bulging, or as if the socket is bigger?

It sounds like it's either a congenital deformity or an injury.  Beyond that it's hard to say.  It probably needs a vet.  I would advise against allowing your cats to socialize; if it's an injury the stray may be combative, and any stray must be presumed to have fleas, worms, who knows what.

If you decide to try to get it to a vet, be very careful.  Treat it as you would any wild animal.  I know that cats aren't wild animals, but this one has probably had a very hard life and may be inclined to bite the hand that feeds it.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Larger how?  Bulging, or as if the socket is bigger?

It sounds like it's either a congenital deformity or an injury.  Beyond that it's hard to say.  It probably needs a vet.  I would advise against allowing your cats to socialize; if it's an injury the stray may be combative, and any stray must be presumed to have fleas, worms, who knows what.

If you decide to try to get it to a vet, be very careful.  Treat it as you would any wild animal.  I know that cats aren't wild animals, but this one has probably had a very hard life and may be inclined to bite the hand that feeds it.

Margret
The eye looks as if the eye itself takes up more space in the cat's head than the other eye. (Both eyes look normal when the cat's eyes are closed, and the head looks normal; when I first saw the cat I thought it was Spot and he'd gotten something in his eye. Spot was in the house.)

Status
Not open for further replies.