Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrot is the biggest talker I know. He thinks he's a Siamese (maybe he is somewhere in there). When not enough attention is payed to him he'll grab the nearest toy and parade the house meowing. 

Angua was silent as a kitten, but she's starting to pick up Carrot's habit. She meows mostly when she is frustrated by anything (like a bug out of reach), but lately she's thrown a few out there randomly. When I am in the shower they both sit at the bathroom door and meow tentatively every few minutes.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, interesting thing. Sinead O'Connor was said to be missing in Wilmette today, which is about a five minute drive away from me. Anyway, she played with a friend's David Bowie tribute band when they played after David Bowie died, and they actually showed that show on the news this afternoon. So I had to tell my one friend that plays in that band that I saw him on the news today.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's definitely a job hazard. It's something I worry about too, not to mention it would be very difficult for me to stoop to clean the litter pans.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
NewYork1303 NewYork1303

Working at a shelter would probably decimate me. I'm nearly buggers from all the kittens who die from problems on this site. It's a tough job!

I'd want to take them all home too! All my cats have been rescues!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I've been destroyed by some of the sad stories on this site, too. It hurts like it was my own cat. I don't know if I can read many more of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose

Yes, it's very hard. I've been helping someone who has lost two orphans in the last 24 hours. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

It's not for the faint of heart. It hurts, even when you never knew them. I keep going, because where there's life, there's hope! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteered when I was in middle school. The shelter has a whole room of FeLV cats and it is killer since they have many adorable kittens that don't make it. Probably now I would volunteer at off site adoption centers. Many more happy stories then sad ones there.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sometimes, just handing your number out to people you want to have it isn't enough. I've been job searching, which means my number has been going everywhere, and I occasionally get crank calls. (And for some reason, I keep getting calls from a 212 area code that speak Spanish when I call them back.)
That's what Caller ID blocking is for.  It doesn't require a smart phone; most cell phones have it.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what Caller ID blocking is for.  It doesn't require a smart phone; most cell phones have it.

Margret
Mine doesn't. Mine doesn't hook to the net, doesn't allow me to download more ringtones, take pictures, or anything that most people take for granted with their phones (even some flip phones). All it does is send and receive calls and texts. That's it. 

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking about volunteering at my local cat shelter. Problem is I worry that I will bring home all of the cats. 
I volunteer at our local shelter and am usually with the cats. It's definitely hard. And there are rules that can't or won't be broken by the staff. There was a little kitten there at one time, that was very sick. It was only about 9 weeks old. I was worried that it wouldn't get the attention it needed to survive. I asked if I could take it home and nurse it back to health. My plan was to take it straight to my vet, get it meds, and take it home for around the clock care. I didn't want to adopt, because I already had so many cats. I just wanted to give it a chance.
I was told that it was against the rules and left without it that evening. I thought about it all night. It's tiny face looking up at mine and crying as if asking for help.
I called the shelter the next day to see how it was doing. No one knew which one I was talking about, as the lady who ran the adoption site left for vacation.
I couldn't stop thinking about it. I spoke with my husband, and we decided, in order to get around the rules, we would adopt it. We went the following day, but no one could find it.
Finally they realized the one I wanted had passed away the first day I seen it.
I was so heart broken and still think about that kitten and see its face and hear it's pitiful little cry, whenever I remember. I have tears in my eyes writing about it now. I never wanted to go back.
But then I think about how for 3 hours, it was held in arms that loved it and warmed it. It had 3 hours of undivided attention. It was cuddled, it had its eyes cleaned with warm water and tissue. It had a clean cage with a fresh blanket in it to fall asleep on. If I hadn't gone that day, it wouldn't have had any of that. So I kept going back to give the other cats some love. Left each visit with a heavy heart and at the same time, a light heart, knowing that the cats got attention they wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't gone.
So I take a deep breath and, as my kids say, I "suck it up, buttercup" and go.
It is very hard, but also very important.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Margret
My cheesy work cell phone doesn't
It's a "fake Blackberry" type phone. I get way too many telemarketing and junk phone calls on my work cell phone and I have never given the number out to anyone. The most frequent one is from Verizon calling about a recent bill. My work cell phone is on AT&T service, not Verizon. Then there are the messages left in Spanish about winning a vacation getaway. If I don't recognize a phone number, it's sent directly to voicemail.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad/sad news.... 

It don't look like I will be able to get the house after all. It has nothing to do with the loan, that has been approved. Unfortunately it has to do with the insurance claim I turned in when my mobile home burned along with a few other items with the new house.

I have been working on a Plan B so hopefully that will work out too. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at our local shelter and am usually with the cats. It's definitely hard. And there are rules that can't or won't be broken by the staff. There was a little kitten there at one time, that was very sick. It was only about 9 weeks old. I was worried that it wouldn't get the attention it needed to survive. I asked if I could take it home and nurse it back to health. My plan was to take it straight to my vet, get it meds, and take it home for around the clock care. I didn't want to adopt, because I already had so many cats. I just wanted to give it a chance.
I was told that it was against the rules and left without it that evening. I thought about it all night. It's tiny face looking up at mine and crying as if asking for help.
I called the shelter the next day to see how it was doing. No one knew which one I was talking about, as the lady who ran the adoption site left for vacation.
I couldn't stop thinking about it. I spoke with my husband, and we decided, in order to get around the rules, we would adopt it. We went the following day, but no one could find it.
Finally they realized the one I wanted had passed away the first day I seen it.
I was so heart broken and still think about that kitten and see its face and hear it's pitiful little cry, whenever I remember. I have tears in my eyes writing about it now. I never wanted to go back.
But then I think about how for 3 hours, it was held in arms that loved it and warmed it. It had 3 hours of undivided attention. It was cuddled, it had its eyes cleaned with warm water and tissue. It had a clean cage with a fresh blanket in it to fall asleep on. If I hadn't gone that day, it wouldn't have had any of that. So I kept going back to give the other cats some love. Left each visit with a heavy heart and at the same time, a light heart, knowing that the cats got attention they wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't gone.
So I take a deep breath and, as my kids say, I "suck it up, buttercup" and go.
It is very hard, but also very important.
The shelter I'd be volunteering with doesn't keep cats or kittens that are that sick in the shelter (well with the exception of the FeLV and FIV cats but most of them are healthy most of the time). If cats need round the clock care and monitoring they are kept in foster homes. In general any kitten they take goes straight to a foster home instead of going to the shelter. Our area doesn't have the same problems that other's have with shelters being overcrowded. The shelter I'd go with actually spends large amounts of money on a regular basis to save special cases. 

I feel bad for the kitten you saw, but at least it did get love and attention from you. This is a good reason to volunteer even if it is sad.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cats toys that I won for being the 1000th post came today! I took some videos, but for some reason I cant upload them. Says the file type is not allowed.
But anyway, the cats love them and are having a lot of fun. They even like the catalog and wont let me have it. Lol
They won the colorful comets catnip balls from Cat Claws Inc.
Ive got some happy kitties! Thank you everyone for helping me win! And thank you Anne Anne for having this contest!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking about volunteering at my local cat shelter. Problem is I worry that I will bring home all of the cats. 
Most of the volunteers at our shelter deliberately adopt cats or kittens that don't get along with other cats. It frees up the single rooms and prevents workers from taking home too many cats.

Bad/sad news.... 

It don't look like I will be able to get the house after all. It has nothing to do with the loan, that has been approved. Unfortunately it has to do with the insurance claim I turned in when my mobile home burned along with a few other items with the new house. :doh3:

I have been working on a Plan B so hopefully that will work out too. 
That's a real bummer. :vibes::vibes: that Plan B works out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I live in a building with quarterly inspections as well.  One time I forgot about them so the inspectors were able to see my home au naturale.   My bed wasn't made or the floors vacuumed and there was stuff all over the floor (mostly cat toys and mats of Paul's black hair).  My kitchen counters were cluttered and I had bags of groceries on the floor that I hadn't put away yet.  However, there were no dirty dishes, the cat box was clean and the trash was out and that appears to have been all they cared about.  I think the main concern is pests.   Is your management group really picky?  I guess I am lucky!
Not until now, they haven't.  In fact, two of the four I've lived under during the past 8 years here flat told us, decent, no fire hazards, no filth.  That's what we are looking at.  THIS one seems to be white-gloving things.  We shall see.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The cats toys that I won for being the 1000th post came today! I took some videos, but for some reason I cant upload them. Says the file type is not allowed.
But anyway, the cats love them and are having a lot of fun. They even like the catalog and wont let me have it. Lol
Ive got some happy kitties! Thank you everyone for helping me win! And thank you @Anne for having this contest!
Woohoo!! Can you maybe post pictures instead of videos.

You can't actually upload videos into a post here, I'm afraid. What you need to do is upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo and then embed that clip here. 

So glad they like the toys!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ive got some happy kitties! Thank you everyone for helping me win! And thank you @Anne for having this contest!
It sound to me like they will be picking out some new toys for you to get them. I can't wait to see pictures or the video of them playing with their new toys.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@kntrygrl256   That's sad news on the house front.  Esp when you have had your eyes on that place for so long.   I hope you manage to find something else, and somewhere that is perfect for you and your cats / plans.

@Rhondalee    Good to hear those toys have arrived and your kitties are having fun with them.
     That was very quick for them to get delivered.  

Having a lazy day here today.  Yesterday I was exhausted and slept almost all day but feeling a bit better today and getting a bit of tidying and cleaning done before I go back to work tomorrow. Mouse is curled up on the sofa close to me and is enjoying having a bit more play time today.  He's coming up for the occasional cuddle and demanding head kisses while I post on TCS - such a hard life living with Mouse.  

Status
Not open for further replies.