Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So....yesterday I had to drive 60 miles , round trip, to get cat food. I stocked up on Natures Logic because I'm a whole foodie, and I want my cats to be whole foodies too. So I got dry kibble and canned. They wouldn't touch it when first offered. They barely ate a can, shared between 6 cats. So I mixed the wet with dry, they ate the wet and left all the dry in the bowl. How they did it, I do not know.

Today I get to make another 60 mile trip to get cat food. I'm going to get 6 different kinds and see what they'll eat.

So now I'll probably be dealing with the whole constipation, diarrhea, anal gland fun stuff because of all the switching. But I don't know what else to do, except shove the food down their fussy little throats. (Don't worry, I won't)

If I have no luck this time, I'm going to put myself up for adoption and let the cats get a new mommy. I'm at my wits end! BLAH!
My cats are like this. With one of them, I mostly just consider any amount of wet food in him good enough. The other has specific and strange tastes. Heaven forbid I add water to their wet food. Now way can I mix wet with dry, Carrot gives me an insulted look when I do. My cats eat Fancy Feast, Nutro, Wuruva, and Sheba. They also eat Wellness under protest and only with a delicious probiotic spread over it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow @kntrygrl256, that house looks idylic!   It's so quaint.  No wonder you've wanted it all this time. Hope all goes well and you are all moved in by the middle of next month.   I can just imagine lots of  happy cats running about there.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you @MServant. It is just adorable and I am ready to get started. I know the lady at the humane society is ready for me to be in also. She has been loaded down with cats and kittens and needs another foster mom. I'm ready to get started working with her. That is something I've wanted to do for years and never was able to.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I was going to sit here and play on TCS for an hour, but the weather is getting bad.  I'm going to have to put on my "ooutside" clothes and make a dash for the dumpster, stop by the office for an AC filter, then hit the mail box.  With any luck at all, I'll still be reasonably dry...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But, looking at the pictures it appears that there may be some maintenance issues you need to look at.  It appears from the last picture that the house's foundation may have shifted.  Do you live in an area with expansive clay in the soil (like bentonite, which we have in our area)?  Check for cracks in the basement, assuming that there is a basement, and you might want to get an independent appraiser to take a look at it before you buy.

I'm an advanced reader for an author I enjoy, and have been having trouble getting her latest book to install properly on my Nook Color.  She is quite concerned about this, as it goes to publication in just a few days.  I'll be trying one last thing today, and emailing her with the results; after that it's out of my hands -- she'll have to rely on Barnes & Noble to figure out where the problem is.  And then I need to see about returning something that I bought inadvertently the other day.  30 day money back guarantee, and the company has a good reputation, so I don't anticipate any problems.

Margret

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's great!  I'm so happy you're finally getting the home you really want.

But, looking at the pictures it appears that there may be some maintenance issues you need to look at.  It appears from the last picture that the house's foundation may have shifted.  Do you live in an area with expansive clay in the soil (like bentonite, which we have in our area)?  Check for cracks in the basement, assuming that there is a basement, and you might want to get an independent appraiser to take a look at it before you buy.

I'm an advanced reader for an author I enjoy, and have been having trouble getting her latest book to install properly on my Nook Color.  She is quite concerned about this, as it goes to publication in just a few days.  I'll be trying one last thing today, and emailing her with the results; after that it's out of my hands -- she'll have to rely on Barnes & Noble to figure out where the problem is.  And then I need to see about returning something that I bought inadvertently the other day.  30 day money back guarantee, and the company has a good reputation, so I don't anticipate any problems.

Margret
I've already had it inspected and it's been appraised inside and out. the foundation is actually good. it just has an underpinning type, like what they use under mobile homes. I plan on taking that out and putting in a permanent block or brick around the house. It does need some maintenance since it's been empty for a few years but most of it is cosmetic and a lot of TLC. The house is only 30 yrs old and nobody seemed to take care of it like it needs. I have everything planned out how I'm going to work on it and have several friends and family that will be around to help.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has probably occurred to you already (and you probably already have a plan for this), but you may want to have professional exterminators go through it before you move in. It's a lot  easier to deal with an infestation before  you move in than after  you're settled. Other than that, it looks like a quiet, quaint house with plenty of land for your pets to explore. Congrats on getting it! 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've already had it inspected and it's been appraised inside and out. the foundation is actually good. it just has an underpinning type, like what they use under mobile homes. I plan on taking that out and putting in a permanent block or brick around the house. It does need some maintenance since it's been empty for a few years but most of it is cosmetic and a lot of TLC. The house is only 30 yrs old and nobody seemed to take care of it like it needs. I have everything planned out how I'm going to work on it and have several friends and family that will be around to help.
Oh, good.  I'm glad to hear it; this was one of the things we looked at very carefully before we bought our house, and a good thing it is, too.  Builders in this area have actually been sued (and lost) because they didn't properly deal with the bentonite.  (My dad built houses for a living.  He said they deserved to be sued, given the fact that it's a well known problem in this area.)

Quote:

It sounds like fun. I wonder if I can find the name of the book if I google it...do you remember, perchance, anything else that was going on in the book, just in case "temari mystery" isn't specific enough for me to find it?

This has probably occurred to you already (and you probably already have a plan for this), but you may want to have professional exterminators go through it before you move in. It's a lot  easier to deal with an infestation before  you move in than after  you're settled. Other than that, it looks like a quiet, quaint house with plenty of land for your pets to explore. Congrats on getting it! 

Sorry, not really.  The detective was male, if that's any help.  And it really was a long time ago, early 1980s, at least.

You might try Abe Books' bookfinder service.  You sign up so that you can post messages, and then leave a descriptive message about the book you're looking for, and if you're lucky someone there has heard of it.  I've already asked my temari group about it; none of them have ever encountered this book.

Remember, it's about an antique ball that was made by a master, it was stolen either from a museum or a private collection, and it was one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable.  These are all details you should mention at Abe books.  Oh, yes.  And it was a paperback.

Well, I seem to have figured out what was going on with the book I downloaded.  Apparently I have to download it to the computer first, and then copy it to a different location on the microSD card than the download directory it automatically wants to go to.  Nice to know, for both me and the author, who was quite worried.

Grocery shopping today, and choir practice tonight.  Time and past time for me to get going.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought I was all done on the computer for the day, but now...to quote a kitteh I know, I has a ponder.  This is it.  Are calicos actually tortoiseshells with OCD, or are tortoiseshells actually calicos with ADHD?  Someone, please advise...

(I actually have very mild OCD and ADD...it's a fun life!)

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It needs a little work and a lot of cleaning. The last people left it a mess. I am going to talk to the seller to see if I can go in a clean before closing so I can get ahead of the game. If everything keeps going as well as it has been, I'm hoping to be in by the middle of June.

Here is a few pictures. It's small and quite quaint but I absolutely LOVE it.

View media item 348058

View media item 348059

View media item 348060
it's soooo cute. I'm so excited for you. My son has a house that was a repo. He had a lot of work to do on his also, but it was fun going from blah to yayayay! It looks like you have a huge yard with lots of privacy.

My cats are like this. With one of them, I mostly just consider any amount of wet food in him good enough. The other has specific and strange tastes. Heaven forbid I add water to their wet food. Now way can I mix wet with dry, Carrot gives me an insulted look when I do. My cats eat Fancy Feast, Nutro, Wuruva, and Sheba. They also eat Wellness under protest and only with a delicious probiotic spread over it.
don't they drive you absolutely bonkers at times? I though kids could be fussy. At least with a child you can, somewhat, reason with them. And if that don't work, threaten. But with a cat yoou just have to growl and give in.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I thought I was all done on the computer for the day, but now...to quote a kitteh I know, I has a ponder.  This is it.  Are calicos actually tortoiseshells with OCD, or are tortoiseshells actually calicos with ADHD?  Someone, please advise...

Could be a long ponder then, you could go over it for hours, and now I prpbably will too as I'm about to go to bed and the question is bound to stick in my brain.  
  I feel a sleepless night coming on.   Either that or one filled with dreams about OCD tortie/calico cats - could be a nightmare night.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:

Sorry, not really.  The detective was male, if that's any help.  And it really was a long time ago, early 1980s, at least.

You might try Abe Books' bookfinder service.  You sign up so that you can post messages, and then leave a descriptive message about the book you're looking for, and if you're lucky someone there has heard of it.  I've already asked my temari group about it; none of them have ever encountered this book.

Remember, it's about an antique ball that was made by a master, it was stolen either from a museum or a private collection, and it was one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable.  These are all details you should mention at Abe books.  Oh, yes.  And it was a paperback.

Well, I seem to have figured out what was going on with the book I downloaded.  Apparently I have to download it to the computer first, and then copy it to a different location on the microSD card than the download directory it automatically wants to go to.  Nice to know, for both me and the author, who was quite worried.

Grocery shopping today, and choir practice tonight.  Time and past time for me to get going.

Margret
Thanks, I'll have to try it. Congrats on figuring out what was wrong with your download, by the way, and I hope you enjoy the book! 

You know, a funny little trend I noticed with author's pets: mystery writers usually have cats, fantasy writers usually have birds of some kind, and horror writers almost always have a big dog of some kind. Just something interesting noted that I thought I'd share.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's soooo cute. I'm so excited for you. My son has a house that was a repo. He had a lot of work to do on his also, but it was fun going from blah to yayayay! It looks like you have a huge yard with lots of privacy.
don't they drive you absolutely bonkers at times? I though kids could be fussy. At least with a child you can, somewhat, reason with them. And if that don't work, threaten. But with a cat yoou just have to growl and give in.
I mostly just tell them they'll starve. I'm a mean cat mom. I also make Angua go outside on her harness even though she absolutely hates it. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this evening my two little girls, deedee and punkin, are having their first time sitting in a windowsill, smelling fresh air, and hearing all the outdoors sounds up close. i only opened one window, with screen of course, so they're sharing the windowsill with their big brother jaspurr. little deedee is very curious and not scared or nervous at all, while our little punkin is a bit nervous and a little scared -- though she keeps going back to the window to smell and see more.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angua loves looking out of the window but when I take her out in her harness she likes to cry. However today, she was quiet and actually started trying to grab bugs, so maybe it is getting better.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
@DreamerRose, I wish I had seen that news clip yesterday about the geese! It was in Glenview :)

kntrygrl256 kntrygrl256 , congrats on the house! It looks so cute!

Been a long day. Lotsa crying (six months since losing Lucky really hit me harder than I expected). Then thinking I lost my phone that had a lot of pics on it that I'd not uploaded to my computer yet. Apparently it fell out of my pocket and was in my car, but I was so scared that I'd lost it in a parking lot somewhere and it was smashed into tiny pieces. Finally after I got home from work though, was able to take my mom's phone to the car with me and try calling my phone there. That's how I found it.

Around 11am, when I got my reminder to take my meds. Realized I left my purse in my car, so I go to my car, only to realize I left my keys at my desk. So I got back and get my keys, then go back to the car. It is literally a five minute trek between walking and elevator rides each way. So spent 20 minutes of my day doing that.

And in general, been re-thinking some things in my life. Specifically, my job. Without going into massive details, just reconsidering working where I do, and considering getting into something different. Problem is I have to weigh my bills against that, because getting into something involving animals likely won't pay the bills. So, just have to figure things out. And in the meantime, deal with the annoyances that are making more more annoyed by the day.

I have to say, Lucky dying changed me a lot. In ways I never expected.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm finally getting a new phone! I've decided on the Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge :) I currently have a Samsung Galaxy s5 that is starting to crap out on me after 2 years of heavy use. The battery life is seriously awful. I have to charge it 5 times a day just to get though a day's use!. And since it will be fully paid off this month, I can upgrade to a new one! And the Galaxy S7 Edge looks amazing!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm finally getting a new phone! I've decided on the Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy s5 that is starting to crap out on me after 2 years of heavy use. The battery life is seriously awful. I have to charge it 5 times a day just to get though a day's use!. And since it will be fully paid off this month, I can upgrade to a new one! And the Galaxy S7 Edge looks amazing!
Woah. Five times is a lot of phone charging. Its a good thing that you are going to be getting a new one.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The cats are channeling this post.. they are saying 'You want something to babble about? Tell her to get rid of the dog'.  

They don't understand that she's very sweet and her mother is ill and she lives here whenever something like that happens.  I've given them little talks on compassion and loving your neighbour's dog etc etc but it is falling on deaf pussycat ears...

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So you've got one of those crazy cats too. Mine is a long haired tortoiseshell calico. Have you ever tried to comb one of those?

As soon as she sees me pick up the comb, she runs to me all lovey and purring. Ill start combing her and she acts like its the best feeling ever, then she'll whip around and attack me, then go right back to purring and being all lovey. That will happen about 20 times a minute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.