Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband and I once, just once tried to put a puzzle together. The cats didn't bother us while we were working on it, but once we left the room, the whole thing ended up on the floor. We threw it away!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awesome. Thanks. I'll give it a look. I know one of my great great grandmothers was pure Cherokee. I've always been fascinated with Cherokee heritage. I don't remeber which side of the family she was on though. It will be interesting to find out.
Well, once you find out, go to http://www.archives.gov

From there, look for the final Dawes Role.  If your ancestor is listed, then you qualify for Tribal membership, should you wish to pursue it.  At that point, you go here:http://www.cherokee.org/Services/TribalCitizenship/Citizenship.aspx

Regardless, have fun!  I certainly am!  I've found mayors and governors and PIRATES, O MY!

@Handsome Kitty   Wow.  You are a California person!  Here in the south, it is rare to say "Banana Bread".  We just automatically say "Banana Nut Bread".  Usually pecans, but good with walnuts, too...and, I'm thinking, unsalted roasted peanuts might even be tasty!  Honey roasted?  Hmmmm...now I'm thinking....

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, once you find out, go to http://www.archives.gov

From there, look for the final Dawes Role.  If your ancestor is listed, then you qualify for Tribal membership, should you wish to pursue it.  At that point, you go here:http://www.cherokee.org/Services/TribalCitizenship/Citizenship.aspx

Regardless, have fun!  I certainly am!  I've found mayors and governors and PIRATES, O MY!

@Handsome Kitty
  Wow.  You are a California person!  Here in the south, it is rare to say "Banana Bread".  We just automatically say "Banana Nut Bread".  Usually pecans, but good with walnuts, too...and, I'm thinking, unsalted roasted peanuts might even be tasty!  Honey roasted?  Hmmmm...now I'm thinking....
Ok. Thank you. And as for your comment about automatically saying 'banana nut bread" I had to laugh, because that's what we always called it. My grandparents were from Kentucky and Virginia. I never knew it could be made without nuts until I moved to the very northern part of michigan. Lol.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I once, just once tried to put a puzzle together. The cats didn't bother us while we were working on it, but once we left the room, the whole thing ended up on the floor. We threw it away!
We discovered early on in our family that attempting to put a puzzle together is like putting a tornado in a trailer park and expecting nothing to happen. (Damage was almost the same scale, too.)

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats, rhondalee rhondalee !!

Today was interesting. You know those stories on the news about entire highways being blocked because of a family of geese crossing? Well, we kinda had that. It was not on a highway, but on a major thoroughfare, just north of a fairly big junction. I remember as we crossed, the person in front of me put on her blinkers, which confuzzed me. Then I noticed EVERYONE was stopped on my side. Then I saw the little babies! They were trying to get over the median, which was right by the turn lane. People got out of their cars running to help the little one. On the other side of the street, one person turned her car so that it half blocked the turn lane as well as the forward lane next to it (where the baby kept running to when it got scared). The parents kept coming over and looked as if to say, "Come on kid, you can do it!" I don't know if someone finally got a hold of it, or it finally got up on the median on its own. But it was a happy ending for the whole family :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What happened??????  Gosh, I had out of town company for a few days, and we passed the 1000 post mark
.  And I MISSED it
.  I missed all the FUN.  Woe is me
.   Well, congrats anyway. after the fact

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Eeek Donutte, it's lucky everyone was sensible and not driving too fast or not paying attention.  The whole scene could have ended up as a huge accident for more than the chick.   That little babe crossing the road was super lucky to be looked after by so many people as well as their feather parents.   

I went out to a nice cafe close to my apartment today and the weather was nice enough to sit outside for over an hour.  It was lovely being outside and not freezing cold for a change, it was only last week we kept getting snow and hail showers!   What was even nicer was the cherry trees have come in to blossom this week and the park oposite the cafe was full of them.  No doubt the blossom will have been blown off in a couple of days but it is pretty just now.  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats, @Rhondalee!!

Today was interesting. You know those stories on the news about entire highways being blocked because of a family of geese crossing? Well, we kinda had that. It was not on a highway, but on a major thoroughfare, just north of a fairly big junction. I remember as we crossed, the person in front of me put on her blinkers, which confuzzed me. Then I noticed EVERYONE was stopped on my side. Then I saw the little babies! They were trying to get over the median, which was right by the turn lane. People got out of their cars running to help the little one. On the other side of the street, one person turned her car so that it half blocked the turn lane as well as the forward lane next to it (where the baby kept running to when it got scared). The parents kept coming over and looked as if to say, "Come on kid, you can do it!" I don't know if someone finally got a hold of it, or it finally got up on the median on its own. But it was a happy ending for the whole family
Donutte, I could swear this was on the news this evening. I was cooking and not paying a lot of attention, so I don't know whether it was on the local Chicago news or the NBC news. But for sure, there was a story about geese crossing a road.

For those of you who live elsewhere, we have a lot of problems with Canada geese in the northern Midwest. They descend on ponds and parking lots (mistaking them for ponds) and willingly will stay through the winter if someone feeds them. They are large birds, turkey-size, and they leave poop behind that rivals a pack of small dogs. They aren't edible because they feed on lawns, ingesting fertilizers and pesticides, so they aren't good for hunting season. Canada geese are very hostile, hissing and attacking anyone who approaches them. They may have been endangered at one point, but let me assure you, they aren't endangered now.

Nevertheless, we all melt when it comes to gosling season. 

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We discovered early on in our family that attempting to put a puzzle together is like putting a tornado in a trailer park and expecting nothing to happen. (Damage was almost the same scale, too.)
Hahaha. That's too funny. Have you ever tried to crochet with cats? Ivy likes to jump in my lap and take off with the yarn.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so brave to even try putting together a puzzle with their 'help' at all. Mine won't hardly let me use the sewing machine. That's okay. I'm soaking up kitten love from my mothers day gift.
My cats are impossible with a sewing machine. Carrot is crazy about string of all kinds and will try and eat all of the sewing machine off of it as it goes. Angua tries to pounce on moving thread.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I read a short-short S.F. story once where someone built trailer parks of deserted trailers out on the plains away from any towns to serve as tornado magnets.  Too bad it wouldn't work....

Congrats, @Rhondalee!!

Today was interesting. You know those stories on the news about entire highways being blocked because of a family of geese crossing? Well, we kinda had that. It was not on a highway, but on a major thoroughfare, just north of a fairly big junction. I remember as we crossed, the person in front of me put on her blinkers, which confuzzed me. Then I noticed EVERYONE was stopped on my side. Then I saw the little babies! They were trying to get over the median, which was right by the turn lane. People got out of their cars running to help the little one. On the other side of the street, one person turned her car so that it half blocked the turn lane as well as the forward lane next to it (where the baby kept running to when it got scared). The parents kept coming over and looked as if to say, "Come on kid, you can do it!" I don't know if someone finally got a hold of it, or it finally got up on the median on its own. But it was a happy ending for the whole family
So many people are extremely kind.  I'm always surprised when I run into the rare genuine villain.

What happened??????  Gosh, I had out of town company for a few days, and we passed the 1000 post mark
.  And I MISSED it
.  I missed all the FUN.  Woe is me
.   Well, congrats anyway. after the fact
Condolences.  Somehow I'm confident that Darko and Stinkpot will be happy to help you get over your loss.  Besides, stick around.  There's still the two thousandth post coming up.

Margret

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahaha. That's too funny. Have you ever tried to crochet with cats? Ivy likes to jump in my lap and take off with the yarn.
Each cat has a different reaction to my crochet. Several of them just seem to ignore, Spot will curl up on whatever I'm making, and sometimes I'll be peacefully working when suddenly I'll have claws in my leg as either Rose or Asia try to catch the moving string. 
 I love the cats, but those claws come out of nowhere, and always make me yell. 

My cats are impossible with a sewing machine. Carrot is crazy about string of all kinds and will try and eat all of the sewing machine off of it as it goes. Angua tries to pounce on moving thread.
We can't have a sewing machine in the house. AWM doesn't know how to use it and always breaks the needles sending them flying all over the house. So, in the interest of not getting stabbed by a stray flying needle (which has happened once) the sewing machine was exiled to the back.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sewing machine is in the spare bedroom, along with the chest freezer.  Jasmine is forbidden that room, because it's just too dangerous for a cat, so, of course, she's convinced that there must be something really fun in there (the only conceivable reason I might want to keep her out) and sits by the closed door and cries.

I make temari (yes, correct spelling, Google it for a lot of pretty pictures) and Jasmine is deeply offended that I'm unwilling to let her play with my thread and balls.  To make it worse, the last one I started I put a bell in, so it sounds like a cat toy.  Basically, I can only work on it by taking it along to my computer club or filk group (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music).  I started it last November, intending to put it on my Christmas tree.  Ah, well.  What's that they say about the "best laid plans"?  It's not just mice and men, it applies to cats and women, too.

Margret

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My sewing machine is in the spare bedroom, along with the chest freezer.  Jasmine is forbidden that room, because it's just too dangerous for a cat, so, of course, she's convinced that there must be something really fun in there (the only conceivable reason I might want to keep her out) and sits by the closed door and cries.

I make temari (yes, correct spelling, Google it for a lot of pretty pictures) and Jasmine is deeply offended that I'm unwilling to let her play with my thread and balls.  To make it worse, the last one I started I put a bell in, so it sounds like a cat toy.  Basically, I can only work on it by taking it along to my computer club or filk group (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music).  I started it last November, intending to put it on my Christmas tree.  Ah, well.  What's that they say about the "best laid plans"?  It's not just mice and men, it applies to cats and women, too.

Margret
Our cats do that with my sister's old room. They aren't allowed in there since we were using the room for storage and its still a little bit precarious. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Wow, temari sound hard to make. (You're right, the pictures are pretty--but the first thing that comes up in a google search is the ninja Temari from the show Naruto.) On the other hand, you can always argue that you meant this  Christmas! 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, temari sound hard to make. (You're right, the pictures are pretty--but the first thing that comes up in a google search is the ninja Temari from the show Naruto.) On the other hand, you can always argue that you meant this  Christmas! 

It takes a bit of practice, but it's not as hard as you might think.  These began as balls embroidered by the women of the royal court in ancient Japan (I'm pretty sure they were the only ones with the time to "waste" on such things, and silk could be expensive), and developed into a tradition that a mother makes one temari (literally "hand ball") every year, which she gives to her youngest daughter on New Year's day.  I have no trouble with using more modern materials, though; whatever looks good or makes it easier to do.  I have a pincushion with pins that have different colored heads, which I use to mark the ball and to hold some threads in place while working it; I keep the pins sorted by color.  I like to use woolly nylon for the base thread (if you look closely at the pictures you'll see that the embroidery is on top of a sort of tangle of thread; wrapping this is always the first step, and you want it deep to hold the embroidery properly -- woolly nylon makes a nice, tight wrapping that will hold the ends of the threads in place better than simple sewing thread).  I like to work on top of Styrofoam balls that I buy at JoAnn's, but a lot of people prefer rice hulls stuffed in the toe of a cut off pair of hose; the disadvantage being that these can be rather heavy.  Some people also use a ball of yarn covered with successively finer threads; I have trouble making these properly round, but it's probably what was originally used.

I first ran across this in a mystery novel, many many years ago, about an antique temari made by a great master which was stolen from a museum.  Then I was in a little needlework store in Eugene, Oregon one day and saw instruction books, so I grabbed as many as I could.  (No idea what the mystery novel was; I think I must have borrowed it from the library.)  If you ever decide that you'd like to start doing it, there's a Yahoo group that does temari.  We have regular stitch alongs of fairly simple patterns suitable for beginners, and a huge collection of instructional files.

For me, it's mostly about the colors.  To use a technical psychological term, I have a "thing" about color. 

Someplace around here I have a bunch of pictures that I've taken of some of my balls; when I manage to dig those up I'll post some here.  I really should get busy and post them to my album in Temari Group.  There's one that I'm having some trouble with and I need to ask for advice.

Margret

Last edited:

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So....yesterday I had to drive 60 miles , round trip, to get cat food. I stocked up on Natures Logic because I'm a whole foodie, and I want my cats to be whole foodies too. So I got dry kibble and canned. They wouldn't touch it when first offered. They barely ate a can, shared between 6 cats. So I mixed the wet with dry, they ate the wet and left all the dry in the bowl. How they did it, I do not know.

Today I get to make another 60 mile trip to get cat food. I'm going to get 6 different kinds and see what they'll eat.

So now I'll probably be dealing with the whole constipation, diarrhea, anal gland fun stuff because of all the switching. But I don't know what else to do, except shove the food down their fussy little throats. (Don't worry, I won't)

If I have no luck this time, I'm going to put myself up for adoption and let the cats get a new mommy. I'm at my wits end! BLAH!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!

I finally have the closing date on my house. For those of you that didn't read it, and I'm really not sure where it is now. I had a thread about a house I had found "again" probably 6 or 8 months ago.

Long story short...I found a little house for sale about 4 or 5 yrs ago, then about a year and a half ago it was in foreclosure . I fell head over heels in love with this little house. I was surfing the web fall of last year looking for a rental when I came across this house AGAIN and well just decided to go look and at my surprise it was for sale AGAIN by owner. I was determined to get this house.  With a lot of prayers and honest to goodness grace of God I am now closing on MY house.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!

I finally have the closing date on my house. For those of you that didn't read it, and I'm really not sure where it is now. I had a thread about a house I had found "again" probably 6 or 8 months ago.

Long story short...I found a little house for sale about 4 or 5 yrs ago, then about a year and a half ago it was in foreclosure . I fell head over heels in love with this little house. I was surfing the web fall of last year looking for a rental when I came across this house AGAIN and well just decided to go look and at my surprise it was for sale AGAIN by owner. I was determined to get this house.  With a lot of prayers and honest to goodness grace of God I am now closing on MY house.
That's wonderful news, and so exciting! Yayayayay! When do you get to move in? We would love to see a picture of it.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It needs a little work and a lot of cleaning. The last people left it a mess. I am going to talk to the seller to see if I can go in a clean before closing so I can get ahead of the game. If everything keeps going as well as it has been, I'm hoping to be in by the middle of June.

Here is a few pictures. It's small and quite quaint but I absolutely LOVE it.

View media item 348058
View media item 348059
View media item 348060

Status
Not open for further replies.