Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well speaking of babbling I am babbling in my own mind my Husband won't share this with me at all Anyway I never let my cat go down the basement because we're only here a year and a1/2 and I don't know what she'd find down there in holes and stuff ya know Anyway 2 days ago I was in a rush to go out my husband was already in the car calling my cell so I would hurry up and I left the basement door open so we were out about an hour and when we came back I was calling my cat cause I couldn't see her usually her and the dog greet us and there she was standing on the basement doorway now I swear she ate mouse poison and is gonna die because that's my biggest fear since we got her last October although we have no move and I don't put poison down. But I don't know what the people before me did in the basement anyway she's eating an awful lot when I pick her up and bring her to her food. Because she's been lying on the sofa for 2days and is cuddly when I go near her but she hasn't gotten up to cuddle with me Wich she usually does and it may be me but I don't think she's drank anything in 2 days is this Karma

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well speaking of babbling I am babbling in my own mind my Husband won't share this with me at all Anyway I never let my cat go down the basement because we're only here a year and a1/2 and I don't know what she'd find down there in holes and stuff ya know Anyway 2 days ago I was in a rush to go out my husband was already in the car calling my cell so I would hurry up and I left the basement door open so we were out about an hour and when we came back I was calling my cat cause I couldn't see her usually her and the dog greet us and there she was standing on the basement doorway now I swear she ate mouse poison and is gonna die because that's my biggest fear since we got her last October although we have no move and I don't put poison down. But I don't know what the people before me did in the basement anyway she's eating an awful lot when I pick her up and bring her to her food. Because she's been lying on the sofa for 2days and is cuddly when I go near her but she hasn't gotten up to cuddle with me Wich she usually does and it may be me but I don't think she's drank anything in 2 days is this Karma

it's likely going to be fine. Take a deep breath and hold it......  now let it out. 

How has she been acting since? Is she eating? Drinking? Using the litter box? Has her behavior been different at all? If she has been doing the first three and is acting normally, she likely did some exploring but wasn't down there long enough to have gotten into anything that could harm her. If it makes you feel better, call the vet. Many vets will give a consultation over the phone and if he/she feels it necessary for you to bring her in, they will tell you. My guess? She's probably just fine. 

We all do this. I will not let my cats out for that very reason. I'd be constantly checking on them to make sure they weren't eating anything, being stalked by anything, getting too close to the road, etc. My head would explode.

My Sophie loves to hide anywhere cavelike. I am always looking for her just in case.   She is very small so it's easy for her to get into places that the other 2 might not be able to. If I am looking for her and she is not in any of her usual spots, I start to panic. Maybe she got out, and it's dark out and she's all black and she's going to get hit and she's lost  and scared and thinks I don't care. Sound familiar? The last time this happened which was a few days ago, she was in the pantry relaxing while mommy was frantically calling her and looking for her like a madwoman. 
 I know she enjoys that. 

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're having a heat wave hear in South Philly I the 90's every day any way my Husband just came back from our Vet from getting our 11 yr old dog Epilepsy meds and he asked about our cat and told him what I just told you everything except my fear of her dying from mouse poisoning and the Vet said she sounds fine. What do you think

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

It is really chilly out there right now.. the high humidity, along with the strong breeze (wind)  is making it feel cold for this time of year.. Kind of like a late August/early September day. 

I was planning on going to Walmart today, but I got a late start to the day. Artie wanted to play a bit..I was so happy to see that. Not long, but so happy, that he was happy...it is the little things. 

@foxxycat   The Pride does not come in a pate. For Artie, I mash it down with a small fork and add a bit of water to it. The water contains the miralax. 

@ all you guys:

I know what it is like to feel alone in a family. I am an only child. It seems that I have dysfunctionality on both sides of the family. The one side I grew up with is all pretty weird--one serious hang up or another. Drinking problems, weird behavior, selfishness, etc... I keep in touch with them, but it is by telephone. I can limit my exposure by doing that. Only about once a month or every few months. 

On the other side is a different story. They were raised by a very dysfunctional, abusive father, and an alcoholic--my paternal uncle. My Aunt never divorced and he was always coming back and forth into all their lives. 

I met them as an adult, perhaps about 20 years ago. I am invited at the 'appropriate, proper"  celebrations, but never feel part of the family. It is as if I am the 'obligatory' person to be invited. That is the only contact I really have with them, except for Facebook. That is how I know what is going on. I never feel the sincerity from them. 

As a matter of fact, I just found out that my cousin is at the dermatologist's office, as we speak, for some kind of procedure--what I do not know. She posted that on Facebook--crazy...I do not feel so bad because her own sister did not know about it either..

When I first met them, I was really elated because I felt as if I would have a real family..but no. I ended up feeling as if I was just invited for the gifts I gave. I spent thousands of dollars on my cousin's kids. They do not keep in touch with me. Even during a family gathering, I do not have any conversation with them. It seems that I am just not into the things they are interested in, and they have absolutely no desire to include me. I gave up on the gifts about 8 years ago. I got smart.  And I stayed away from many family gatherings because I was fed up with feeling like the odd one out.  We are definitely on different paths in life. 

I could go on and on about this, but I will not bore you..

I have come to be a 'loner'. Yes, at many times it is lonely. I guess I feel better being lonely rather than feeling taken advantage of, or of being the 'odd one out'.....

I guess suffice it to say that we all have dysfunction in our families. It just depends on the degree of it..

That is the end of my rant for today...
My husband's family treats me like a stranger when he's not around. When we're together they couldn't be nicer. It made me feel inferior for years. Time has shown this is how they are with anyone who doesn't fall into line with their beliefs. Religious. They are in real life away from their churchy friends some of the most vicious nasty people I have ever met. Since I turned them in for animal abuse I have become their favorite whipping boy. If something goes wrong in their lives I caused it.  I turned them in because both myself and my husband offered to buy a load of hay for my BILs horses. We were both told those were his horses and he could do anything he wanted with them. I begged to differ and picked up the phone. From there we went to assault by their daughter who has a history of violent unstable behavior.

Very honestly and from my heart, I never realized how high maintenance the relationship with them had become. You become so accustomed to their dysfunctional behaviors. It is a relief to have them out of our lives.  I thought my husband would have a hard time instead he's lost many of the family tics.  I made sooooo many excuses because they were family.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
KAT0121. Thank you for responding you're probably right I just want to see her take a couple of sips of water she's eating more than usual but I can't catch her drinking at least not yet but she's probably fine it's just my fears so I'm gonna take a couple of deep breaths and go kiss her

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
KAT0121. Thank you for responding you're probably right I just want to see her take a couple of sips of water she's eating more than usual but I can't catch her drinking at least not yet but she's probably fine it's just my fears so I'm gonna take a couple of deep breaths and go kiss her
Yes do that. Feel free to give her one for me too. 

My cats go running over to the water fountain when I pour water into it. They like the pouring action better than the action from the fountain. 

Lilith and Sophie will stick their faces as close to the poring water as possible and lap from it. Maybe that will work for you 

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat runs away when I pour water into her bowl she's just coming around was so shy when we adopted her she would not open her eyes when I cooed and cuddled with her but she does now it's fun to speak to someone as crazy about their cats as I am of mine

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I haven't been on line all day because Edison had turned off the juice because of repairs for the whole day, which meant no elevator in the building either. So I found two pages of babbling which took a while to read them all. 

It seems quite a few people have injuries on the job, some sound rather severe. Have any of you applied for Workers' Compensation, the employer is supposed to give you the application which should be available in any Personnel of Human Resources office?

All  employers are required to carry that and it means that their insurance not only has to pay for all medical bills including medications, medical supplies, mileage to go to the doctor AND your regular pay. If the doctor releases that person to lesser job duties they still have to pay regular pay.

It's too bad employees do not usually know their rights.

An employer can also not fire that injured worker but has to hold their job until they can return to work. Some states, like California, also have State Disability for which an injured worker can apply until Workers' Compensation kicks in.

If an employer raises a fuss or threatens to fire an employee about the worker applying for State Disability or Workers' Compensation, that employee should immediately hire an attorney who specializes in Workers' Compensation. They all will give you at least 1/2 hour free for consultation to see if you have a claim. 

@foxxycat: the  answer to any unfriendly question is "WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW?" So if someone wants to know when you are planning on going on vacation (which is none of their business) just say that and now the answer falls on them and depending on what they say you can answer the question or not. In any case you will be the one in the catbird seat. Consider this scenario: someone asks "how much money do you have?" If you answer with a large amount that person may want to 1)  borrow money from you or 2) may have wanted to GIVE you some but since you said you had a large amount may decide you did not need theirs. 

If you answer that you are broke that person may 1) give you some  of theirs because you need some and 2) decide not to ask you for a loan as you have none to loan. 

This "why do you want to know?" works for any and all questions that you would prefer not to answer, any personal question, any question whatsoever.

Also: why are you putting up with these dysfunctional people who call themselves your family? Who needs people like that? You are better off with real friends than with people with whom you are somehow related.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cool day here, too. A little windy, too.

I've decided to not stress myself any further over that person who wanted info on how to learn something (it happened recently).  I'm sorry but if you're not serious about learning something, don't keep asking me about how you can learn it and then say you're not interested when I give you info View media item 360064 Speaking of de-stressing, I signed up for a 6 week pilot meditation / de-stress workshop at work. It's a brand new company program for employees. I hope I signed up in time. There's a limit of 10 people for the pilot workshop.  Next week I meeting with some people to discuss how I can get involved with other employee programs and events like the meditation workshop. I'm not sure how much time I can allocate to being  involved with an employee program, though, since the facility is short staffed and no one in the lab will help out.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH noticed a large plumb of smoke while he was having lunch in the yard.  It is a fire at a recycling business about 2 miles away.  He has decided to stay home for the rest of the day since he would have to get past it to go back to work and again to get home.  They just announced an 'AC shelter in place' for the people east of the fire where the smoke is blowing.  They are supposed to close windows, turn off the AC and stay put.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My guess from the atmosphere of the machine shop is that they probably gave him a high and low estimate (so something like 4-6 weeks) and he gave his boss the lowest amount of time. It seems like everyone there is trying to get back to work as soon as they can. The guy literally went to the emergency room the one day and came back the next day for work. The guys don't want to come off as not being tough. They have a first aid kit on the premises but it has a meme sign on it that basically says something along the lines of band aids being for little girls (actual language being harsher than that). The usual solution for cuts is the wrap them in shop rags and duct tape... more manly (and less sanitary) I guess.
That--just promotes infection. I hope your DH isn't following suit. (Fun fact: there was a period of time during the American Civil War where the greatest threat to the lives of soldiers was disease. This persisted until women took to the field and started cleaning camp and treating injuries. Odd how that seems to work.)

We have the same thing here. We are a machine shop and welding shop. The management insists on reporting every injury then they harass them. I was one of them. They harassed me for weeks. And it was their fault. They kept me on the same job for 8 months 7 days a week until my arm couldn't take it anymore. They still don't fit the job to the body. I was too short to run the job but told me to figure it out. Yeah I figured it out. My arm and shoulder got complications and I had to have surgery because of their stupidity. I often asked them to alternate me on days off to rest the arm. here it is 9 years later and they still put the same people for weeks. They keep stressing safety first but then when accidents happen we tell them we told you we needed changes.

As far as ducttape-we have guys who duct tape the injury wear gloves all night then go to the urgent care in the morning and say they did it at home. Its not worth the hassle and then they try to run you out of your job even if they screwed up. I see guys all the time putting bandaids on but no one hassles them. That would be harassment and they go overboard with the rules for that as far as I am concerned. We have a lot of men who should not be called a man due to the amount of whining and back stabbing that goes on. I am so glad I don't work on the floor anymore. We had 3 injuries in one day-the same day they had a safety fair. So then we hear about this every morning before shift startup. Lots of corporate mumble jumble. but then the guys bring up legit concerns and the attitude is go back to work and leave the problem solving to the big guys.
Wow. Aside from the type of job, you could work for the post office! One year AWM got into a wreck; she was delivering mail on a blind curve that's on one of the busiest  streets in the city. This kid came racing down the road and couldn't stop in time (to be fair, it was  one of the few times we've had ice on the roads) and slammed right into the back of the car (they insisted she deliver mail from her own car). Then, when everything was over, they asked her what she  could have done to prevent the accident and spent weeks  trying to get her to admit that the accident was her fault. Have I mentioned how much I love my job, where the rules actually make sense  and management doesn't ask anything of the employees that they're not able to (on purpose)?

Does it drive anyone else nuts when someone says that they're there for you when you need them and to just ask and they will help and all that but when you do need them and ask, they flat out refuse to help in any way? Just had one of those
Yeah, have an uncle like that. I don't speak to him anymore (he tricked me out of my tuition savings from my first job).

Kittens mom-I know that will be something I will need to do eventually. For now I just ignore them. They stopped asking me for help. I should ask them to help me with bills but I know it will go over like a fart in church. Maybe I should do it anyways. Nothing like doing something stupid to push them away but sometimes I don't think they are worth my time. There are people I call scammers. They always plotting how to get money. One year I got a phone call asking for help to buy oil. I offered to pay for the oil-asked for the name of the company and you never believe what was said. I was told I was judging them and how dare I ask. I responded with disconnect your cell phone and cable and I will pay the oil. They didn't talk to me for a long time. They sometimes try to fish for information about my life. I give as little info as possible. This same person spreads lies about me to anyone new in their lives. I don't care anymore. I already planning on making other plans for the holidays in December. I am torn because I get along with everyone but this one person always is rude to my other family member and anyone they don't like who comes over. Talk about not feeling welcome. I called them out on it in March and they said I am always welcome. Bullcrap. They were not going to tell me about their family get together. It was my other family member who told me about it otherwise I wouldn't have known anything about it. Since then I stay off Facebook and hide posts from those individuals. If I don't see it-I can't get upset right?

This is the same person who didn't tell me about a death of their animals. Ones they have had for years. I had to find out by reading it on facebook. So then I realized we will never be close and they will never reach out to me. So it hurts. I am still angry about it. But I can't change them. They said they need constant contact. I said I am not like that. I didn't want to be always calling on the phone. I guess that was my first mistake. So since then its always been a big divide between us. I guess I am too independent and this same person says I am needy. They said I am always asking for reassurance. I never noticed that. I just research whatever the problem is and find an answer by asking qualified people. If that makes me needy so be it. Now I know why I like being ALONE.
It's not really alone  if you prefer it. I think at that point it's called "solitude." 

For as long as I have lived here , almost 25 years I have delighted in a cup of designer coffee on the way out of Albuquerque on the road home. Its on the corner of Tramway and Central and is also a magnet for vagrants and homeless. As you go in to buy your 5 dollar cup of joy which is a once a month treat for me maybe, there is sure to be someone come up and ask for money for food. And every time I have the same reply. I will be happy to buy you a sandwich, shop next door, what would you like. and for all those years the starving person who wanted money would refuse. I had one taker in all those years. Starving kid from Kansas with a blown engine.  I'm sure there's a lesson in all that I haven't quite figured out. I still offer a meal.

I had a massive falling out with my husbands family over their treatment of animals. It took years to get there. But at some point enough is enough. I walked I the house and called AC and the brand inspector. I have not one regret in putting an end to their nonsense.
Don't. It sounds like you did exactly the right thing; some people need the application of consequences levied onto them--but they won't thank you for it. 

These guys are crazy. This guy has his hand wrapped up and in a cast so he absolutely cannot use it. Basically, if he uses it at all, he has a chance of damaging nerves more severely I guess? 

I feel like machine shops and any kind of a shop like this push people too hard. The atmosphere is challenging. The guys last week were making fun of an older guy since he decided to take a few extra days after a surgery. Seriously!
I don't know about the nerves, but it sounds like he's in serious danger of permanently damaging the tendons--which can render his hand perfectly useless for the rest of his life. 

@kittensmom  I know I need to stand up to the family member who keeps bringing in more animals but yet doesn't have money to fix the chimney and other issues. They let their unfixed dogs breed. The pups are gone but they wouldn't answer my question if they gave them away or sold them. More than likely sold them. This is a person who tried to steal $xx,xxx money from an ex partner. This ex took them to court and court sided with ex. Family had to get a second mortgage out. Ever since then I think this person is from the twilight zone. They thought they were entitled to this individuals money even though they split up. Since then its been hard to juggle bills. They kept asking me to give them my vehicle when I wanted to trade it in. I gave a price-very low price and I got nothing but silence. I ended up keeping my vehicle and I told them I have no money for down payment. Its been months since they hinted they need money but whenever the family gets together-I notice more issues not getting fixed and more excuses. Eventually I will have to pony up and just be done with it. I admit I am a coward. I hate confrontation and I feel almost like I have to practice good manners even if I don't agree with things. For now I just ignore them. Its not healthy. I still have to let it go but I haven't quite got there yet.

I think I put my foot in my mouth as this person asked me in June what dates I am going on vacation. I responded in August. And there was a big pause. I don't know what they were waiting on. I never invite them up because I don't have the money to pay for extra people. And honestly I don't know how I feel about an extra 7 people. Its not just one person-it would be oh I brought a friend type of bs plus 4 kids. I don't know if I screwed up. Afterwards I kept thinking about it and maybe I screwed up. You know how everyone goes quiet after you answer a question and you wonder if you should have lied and said you wont be going and go and not tell anyone?

I notice people will say "you can go if you want" and sometimes I don't know if this is said to be nice and offer and the other person says thanks but no or if I should have offered. This is what is so sticky about family. I never know what the rules are and there are two people who talk behind my back and say different things to my face. I hear them talk about other people and I am almost positive they talk about me the same way. I just don't want to deal with anymore BS. If I could just invite that one person and their friend that would be fine. I don't know how I feel about 4 kids and my cats are not used to kids. And they would harass my animals. Maybe I am selfish. They do ask me to join them on day trips but I just prefer my own space. Maybe I have something wrong with me or maybe I just don't feel close to them. And never mind about the animals. I gave them a hard time one winter when I showed up and they had no food for the cats. I started bringing food with me whenever I go but now I realize I am giving in to their BS. I just hate to see any animal go hungry when they have tons of food for themselves. I could go on and on. I should just shut up because now I sound like I am whining. yes I am. Because this isn't how family is supposed to be.
It's not a social faux pas  on your part--it's one on theirs. That point where they went silent is where they were supposed  to ask where you were planning to go and what you were planning to do. And no, you do not sound like you're whining. 

@foxxycat and @kittensmom   I'm sorry you've only seen the bad side of helping people.  When my children were small I would not have survived without my friends' help.  Carpools, watching each others kids, rides for car repairs etc.  When my youngest was born the people at the Co-op Nursery School took it upon themselves to deliver dinners already cooked for the first week (with enough leftovers for lunches) delivered fresh each night.  Friends in my kids classes picked them up and brought them home.  It was a rough first couple of weeks.  Kelvin was born with a heart murmur, DH had the flu (really bad) and my milk didn't come in for a few days.  There were no strings attached and some people I barely knew.   Most of us were in the same boat, no family members in the state or nearby.  I took kids to the dentist, would pick up kids who needed rides home.   I helped run a girl scout and a cub scout troop so my kids and others could participate but the rest of the parents helped out when they could.  I even paid for a couple kids whose families had fallen on hard times or just didn't have the means to go on camping trips and to events.  Our middle school had a line on the field trip permission slips for people to add money so low-income kids in the school could go on the trips.  My neighbors were wonderful.  When we finally sold our house and were moving to California, Kim had started a new semester in community college and many people offered to take her in until she finished it out.  The friend she did stay with didn't want any money for food or rent.  We didn't get a second car until Kelvin was 4 and people would take us with them to parks and movies during the day.  Maybe it was Columbia MD and the thought that it was built to include people and accept them as they were.  Many people moved there for the values and embraced them.  It was a planned community started around 1966.

Family is certainly different than friends.  Some feel entitled to what you have or just expect you to help.  I think some of it is due to the order of birth as well.
I think there are rotten apples in every family. One year one of my uncles decided, randomly, to rename himself Django Drums and hike out to California--leaving behind his thirteen year-old daughter--that he was raising alone--and family dog. Oh, and not one, but three mortgages and four  title loans on the car. The neighbors looked after my cousin until they were able to contact the rest of the family (My DD has twelve siblings) and my family pooled together to a) pay of the mortgages (all of them!), b) get a new car to the house (the title loans were on a clunker that hadn't run in two years!), and c) installed an older cousin in the house so the younger one didn't have to change schools.

I haven't been on line all day because Edison had turned off the juice because of repairs for the whole day, which meant no elevator in the building either. So I found two pages of babbling which took a while to read them all. 

It seems quite a few people have injuries on the job, some sound rather severe. Have any of you applied for Workers' Compensation, the employer is supposed to give you the application which should be available in any Personnel of Human Resources office?

All  employers are required to carry that and it means that their insurance not only has to pay for all medical bills including medications, medical supplies, mileage to go to the doctor AND your regular pay. If the doctor releases that person to lesser job duties they still have to pay regular pay.

It's too bad employees do not usually know their rights.

An employer can also not fire that injured worker but has to hold their job until they can return to work. Some states, like California, also have State Disability for which an injured worker can apply until Workers' Compensation kicks in.

If an employer raises a fuss or threatens to fire an employee about the worker applying for State Disability or Workers' Compensation, that employee should immediately hire an attorney who specializes in Workers' Compensation. They all will give you at least 1/2 hour free for consultation to see if you have a claim. 

@foxxycat: the answer to any unfriendly question is "WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW?" So if someone wants to know when you are planning on going on vacation (which is none of their business) just say that and now the answer falls on them and depending on what they say you can answer the question or not. In any case you will be the one in the catbird seat. Consider this scenario: someone asks "how much money do you have?" If you answer with a large amount that person may want to 1)  borrow money from you or 2) may have wanted to GIVE you some but since you said you had a large amount may decide you did not need theirs. 

If you answer that you are broke that person may 1) give you some  of theirs because you need some and 2) decide not to ask you for a loan as you have none to loan. 

This "why do you want to know?" works for any and all questions that you would prefer not to answer, any personal question, any question whatsoever.

Also: why are you putting up with these dysfunctional people who call themselves your family? Who needs people like that? You are better off with real friends than with people with whom you are somehow related.
The problem with applying for worker's comp in a job like that is that from that point on management will ride the person, finding fault with everything, until they either drop the claim or quit. (AWM did neither, but AWM has a stubborn streak few can equal.)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That--just promotes infection. I hope your DH isn't following suit. (Fun fact: there was a period of time during the American Civil War where the greatest threat to the lives of soldiers was disease. This persisted until women took to the field and started cleaning camp and treating injuries. Odd how that seems to work.)

Wow. Aside from the type of job, you could work for the post office! One year AWM got into a wreck; she was delivering mail on a blind curve that's on one of the busiest  streets in the city. This kid came racing down the road and couldn't stop in time (to be fair, it was  one of the few times we've had ice on the roads) and slammed right into the back of the car (they insisted she deliver mail from her own car). Then, when everything was over, they asked her what she  could have done to prevent the accident and spent weeks  trying to get her to admit that the accident was her fault. Have I mentioned how much I love my job, where the rules actually make sense  and management doesn't ask anything of the employees that they're not able to (on purpose)?

Yeah, have an uncle like that. I don't speak to him anymore (he tricked me out of my tuition savings from my first job).

It's not really alone  if you prefer it. I think at that point it's called "solitude." 

Don't. It sounds like you did exactly the right thing; some people need the application of consequences levied onto them--but they won't thank you for it. 

I don't know about the nerves, but it sounds like he's in serious danger of permanently damaging the tendons--which can render his hand perfectly useless for the rest of his life. 

It's not a social faux pas  on your part--it's one on theirs. That point where they went silent is where they were supposed  to ask where you were planning to go and what you were planning to do. And no, you do not sound like you're whining. 

I think there are rotten apples in every family. One year one of my uncles decided, randomly, to rename himself Django Drums and hike out to California--leaving behind his thirteen year-old daughter--that he was raising alone--and family dog. Oh, and not one, but three mortgages and four  title loans on the car. The neighbors looked after my cousin until they were able to contact the rest of the family (My DD has twelve siblings) and my family pooled together to a) pay of the mortgages (all of them!), b) get a new car to the house (the title loans were on a clunker that hadn't run in two years!), and c) installed an older cousin in the house so the younger one didn't have to change schools.

The problem with applying for worker's comp in a job like that is that from that point on management will ride the person, finding fault with everything, until they either drop the claim or quit. (AWM did neither, but AWM has a stubborn streak few can equal.)
And that in itself is illegal. People need to stand up for what is right and not let some employer run over them. Retaliation for asserting one's claim is just so wrong which is why people need to get a lawyer when they are injured on the job. Once the employer knows that the employee is serious and has an attorney things will change in a hurry. The more employees insist on getting their rights the more likely employers will stop riding roughshod over their workers. Good for AMW that he/she did not knuckle under, that is not stubborness but ascertaining one's right and as long as workers don't do that the employers will keep on mistreating them. That's how unions came into being, and we can see what happens when unions lose their clout. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone else out in TCS land having storms today? We've gotten a ton of rain. No flooding though. Yay. My grass will be green again!
We've had severe thunder storm warnings here for the least 3 or 4 days,  Mostly PM storms.  Not a lot of rain, but lots of wind, lightning and thunder.  Hekitty is having fits.  She does NOT like "rumblegrumbles" or "lightflashies."
I'll let you know when I see her drink ! ! !
If she doesn't drink tonight, run to the store and grab an eye dropper, and get some water in her,  Whatever is going on, this is important.  She MUST have water.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kat0121
She just drank and drank after I played with her near her bowls like a 1/2 hour ago
Thanks for your advice and my cats gonna L. I. V. E. Amen

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And that in itself is illegal. People need to stand up for what is right and not let some employer run over them. Retaliation for asserting one's claim is just so wrong which is why people need to get a lawyer when they are injured on the job. Once the employer knows that the employee is serious and has an attorney things will change in a hurry. The more employees insist on getting their rights the more likely employers will stop riding roughshod over their workers. Good for AMW that he/she did not knuckle under, that is not stubborness but ascertaining one's right and as long as workers don't do that the employers will keep on mistreating them. That's how unions came into being, and we can see what happens when unions lose their clout. 
It's true that it's illegal, but they do it anyway. They get away with a lot of stuff that's illegal--like racial discrimination (it's still discrimination when it's the other way around), working employees off the clock, not paying employees for time on  the clock, and stuff like that. AWM did get a lawyer--who saw who the opponent was and half-
 the job so the best AWM got was compensation for time off work. Well, that was what she wanted anyway, so I guess it worked out.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's true that it's illegal, but they do it anyway. They get away with a lot of stuff that's illegal--like racial discrimination (it's still discrimination when it's the other way around), working employees off the clock, not paying employees for time on  the clock, and stuff like that. AWM did get a lawyer--who saw who the opponent was and half-
 the job so the best AWM got was compensation for time off work. Well, that was what she wanted anyway, so I guess it worked out.
As long as employees let the employers get away with it instead of fighting the injustice and law-breaking on the side of the employers they will keep doing it. AWM broke the vicious circle, good for her, now it is up to other employees there and everywhere else to do the same thing instead of laying down like a doormat and let employers walk all over them. The Labor Commission, Labor Board or whatever they are called in your state, is a good place to start for wages not paid, being paid under the table, discrimination of every kind (although if it is wide spread in your area maybe somebody should contact the ACLU for that), But somebody has to start it, complaining and whining about conditions with out action will not change a thing.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 thanks for the tip about the eye dropper I know they absolutely have to have water that's why I was freaking but thanks to you I now know how to remedy the situation without freaking if it arises

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husbands company just got into a lot of trouble recently for some racist hiring practices. They are making a bunch of changes thank goodness. So definitely companies can break the rules for a very long time. This company is 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.