Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If the store is close I sure would.
You need more words

The pet store isn't that close but I can take two public busses to get there in about an hour. It's not a big deal if I do part time on the days I have off from my full time job. I defnitely could not work right after my full time during the week.

One of the biggest problems with my job is that at the end of the day, my feet hurt. They throb, they swell--and it's painful. One of the first things I got with my paycheck (aside from a belt that isn't plastic and another pair of pants) was a pair of a gel insoles--with arch support. I strongly suspect that my arches were falling down--and I only say that because of how painful my feet were before and how they hurt (in a different way) after the arch support was put in the shoes. Is there any way, other than elevation or ice water (which makes the muscles in my feet cramp until my feet are in strange positions and I have to flatten them against the floor) to get the swelling down and control the pain at the end of the day?
I'm on my feet all day at my full time job, too. In my previous position, we had ergonomic mats to stand on. Maybe that is something you could use in your job? I can't use ergonomic mats in my current position so there are days when my lower left leg and foot feels like a lead weight
I had surgery on my left foot almost two years ago and it's been wonky ever since. A podiatrist may be able to evaulate your foot and recommend orthotic products and other ways to help with the swelling and pain.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeling so tired today. Tomorrow my dad and I are going on a hike. I am excited to go, but its been raining all day so I hope it clears up soon.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Finding Dory was great! Really funny movie. 

I am working on breaking in the shoes I'll wear at my marriage on Tuesday. Still perfecting vows. My fiance and I had a good time talking about all of the different things that could potentially go wrong. :p
Will be sending you all sorts of vibes that everything goes well on the day! 

When my daughter got married, the night before the ceremony she realized she couldn't use the minister she and my son-in-law had selected.  He was a family member so he seemed the obvious choice but then he insisted she promise to "Love, honor and obey."   Well!  That did not go over well.  Another family member was a judge who wasn't authorized to officiate over weddings in California.  We were trying to figure out what to do, since most of us had traveled across the country to be there, when my fellow soon-to-be mother-in-law announced she'd once taken one of those on-line courses to enable her to perform weddings.  And that is how my daughter's lovely wedding took place - with her mother-in-law performing the ceremony. 

(EDIT:  The minister stayed and had a bang up time so everyone was happy.) 

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will be sending you all sorts of vibes that everything goes well on the day! 

When my daughter got married, the night before the ceremony she realized she couldn't use the minister she and my son-in-law had selected.  He was a family member so he seemed the obvious choice but then he insisted she promise to "Love, honor and obey."   Well!  That did not go over well.  Another family member was a judge who wasn't authorized to officiate over weddings in California.  We were trying to figure out what to do, since most of us had traveled across the country to be there, when my fellow soon-to-be mother-in-law announced she'd once taken one of those on-line courses to enable her to perform weddings.  And that is how my daughter's lovely wedding took place - with her mother-in-law performing the ceremony. 

(EDIT:  The minister stayed and had a bang up time so everyone was happy.) 
That is a great story. One of our witnesses has a certificate to perform ceremonies also so he could potentially step in if needed. Especially since we're now going to have a third witness (one of my fiances friends will be hiking the pacific crest trail during our wedding in September, so he's coming to this one instead).

kisscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Tallyollyopia Have you tried Danskos or other Klog-type shoes? A well made and well fitted pair gives pretty good arch support.

Also, are you totally sure your shoes are the right fit? It's a small detail that can have big consequences. I lost some sensation in part of my toe due to ill fitting shoes. Two years after I stopped wearing those shoes, the sensation is still not fully back!

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Tallyollyopia Have you tried Danskos or other Klog-type shoes? A well made and well fitted pair gives pretty good arch support.

Also, are you totally sure your shoes are the right fit? It's a small detail that can have big consequences. I lost some sensation in part of my toe due to ill fitting shoes. Two years after I stopped wearing those shoes, the sensation is still not fully back!
Two things: 1) I can't afford another pair of shoes. 2) No one in my area carries my shoe size. (The pair that I have, I had to go over three counties to get--and they fit when I got them. I'm not certain they still  fit, since I got them a couple years ago, but they fit when I got them.) Several shoe stores in my area have taken to hanging a sign in their window proclaiming they don't carry wide shoes. (I'm afraid I got a little testy with one sales associate who tried to cram my double E foot into a B wide shoe. This is a small town, so word travels fast.)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

One of the biggest problems with my job is that at the end of the day, my feet hurt. They throb, they swell--and it's painful. One of the first things I got with my paycheck (aside from a belt that isn't plastic and another pair of pants) was a pair of a gel insoles--with arch support. I strongly suspect that my arches were falling down--and I only say that because of how painful my feet were before and how they hurt (in a different way) after the arch support was put in the shoes. Is there any way, other than elevation or ice water (which makes the muscles in my feet cramp until my feet are in strange positions and I have to flatten them against the floor) to get the swelling down and control the pain at the end of the day?
I know it is summer, but you could try support stockings. I mean the really good white or black support knee highs. Very expensive, though...

They would help me a bit. I also got a really good pair of sneakers to wear. I like New Balance. I got the walking ones. They are a lot different than the cross trainers or running shoes. 

The Dansko clogs are very good. Very expensive but great. Most medical people use them. They are difficult to get adjusted to; but once you do, you will love them!

Have you tried ordering directly from Amazon or from the brand name website? Or even trying men's shoes?? I used to work with a woman who had size 11 shoe. Those are almost impossible to find; but she stocked up on them when she did~~ mostly sneakers.

Good Luck

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Someone mentioned achy feet-try soaking in Epson Salts.

I have wide feet-I wear new balance mens. I wear 7 or 7.5 D width. I have seen mens E width shoes. Try amazon/ebay. I can never find anything that fits. I have to wear steel toes and even now an hour later my feet throb. I found wearing Merino wool socks instead of polyester/cotton blend socks make a big difference. yes they are expensive. But my feet are always hot so the regular tube socks I would need to change out three or more times a day where the wool socks fit much better. I am limited to what I can get for boots. I found a womans timberlane composite boot that work accepts. They still hurt my feet some days. Sketchers shoes fit sometimes. But I always find that most shoe stores don't stock wide widths or if they are wide-they are hideous. No heels for this chick. I couldn't walk in them even if I tried.

Another family member texted me about something going on today. So not sure if I will go after work. Seems other family members forgot to tell me so I sent a message to let them know I got a message from another member and wanted to know what they wanted to do. at first I was confused but then I had a moment of calm and just accepted that people are the way they are. I can't change them. I still get upset but nothing I can do about it. Just keep on keeping on.

@LTS3  A "retail position" means sales clerk. You would be working the cash register.

@NewYork1303  Here's wishing you a beautiful wedding day!
Thank you. 

My main problem is getting my vows done. I probably shouldn't have decided to write my own, but since I'm a writer I'd feel like it was weird otherwise.
NewYork1303-Hope you have a fabulous day!! Congrats!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zappos.com is a good place to buy shoes. You can search for a specific type of shoe and width and size and price, etc to narrow down what is available. Shipping is free and you typically get the order within two days. Returns and exchanges are easy.

@LTS3  A "retail position" means sales clerk. You would be working the cash register.
I have no experience working in retail but I don't think it would be too hard
I assume there will be training on how to use the register and whatnot. If I have time today I'll stop by the pet store and inquire. Sundays are the quiet days since there's no grooming and few dogs in doggie day care. I'll pick up a few cans of food or more HT chubs while I'm there.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep sales clerk-stocking shelves-changing prices-ringing up customers-answering customer questions-sweep/mop at the end of the shift if that place doesn't hire a cleaning crew. usually it gets boring after a while but you can mix it up by changing some of the displays and moving things around. I really enjoyed it when I worked at a gas station. I could make suggestions of things we should carry based on customer inquiries of whatever we were out of stock. And I had regulars come in. The hardest part was figuring out the cigarette section in that place-I don't smoke and had no clue what hard box and soft box were but by a month I knew what each person was going to get so I often pulled out their smokes when I saw them walking in. We also did coffee in the morning and we had particular flavors for certain folks. French vanilla was a big seller. I don't drink coffee either. But I really enjoyed it. I was much younger and only wish I knew then what I knew now. I used to get super nervous with strangers but that soon floated away with experience.

I say go for it. If you don't like it then you can try something else. Who knows maybe they will give you a break on pet supplies and have excuse to bring a new toy home for the monsters

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

yep sales clerk-stocking shelves-changing prices-ringing up customers-answering customer questions-sweep/mop at the end of the shift if that place doesn't hire a cleaning crew. usually it gets boring after a while but you can mix it up by changing some of the displays and moving things around. I really enjoyed it when I worked at a gas station. I could make suggestions of things we should carry based on customer inquiries of whatever we were out of stock. And I had regulars come in. The hardest part was figuring out the cigarette section in that place-I don't smoke and had no clue what hard box and soft box were but by a month I knew what each person was going to get so I often pulled out their smokes when I saw them walking in. We also did coffee in the morning and we had particular flavors for certain folks. French vanilla was a big seller. I don't drink coffee either. But I really enjoyed it. I was much younger and only wish I knew then what I knew now. I used to get super nervous with strangers but that soon floated away with experience.

I say go for it. If you don't like it then you can try something else. Who knows maybe they will give you a break on pet supplies and have excuse to bring a new toy home for the monsters
I think the hard part would be to not discourage customers from buying bags of dry cat food
The store sells the higher quality brands like NV, Orijen, Wellness, Felidae, etc so at least those are better than many of the poor quality junk brands out there.

A price break on food would be nice
I just spent $67 yesterday for the three bags of NV raw I had ordered. Before that it was well over $100 for NV and HT chubs. I swear the owner's eyes turn into dollar signs the second I walk into the store because I spend so much money on food

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you all have a great day. Still spinning my wheels about something. I am sure things happened for a reason.So hard to please everyone. so hard to explain to others why I work so much and go to the gym. Its the only thing that's keeping me sane lately. I sometimes think too much about what is said to me in real life. Sometimes its hard for me to take ques from other people when verbally talking. Then I sit and think about conversaitions and wonder what I said was wrong. Then try to reach out to them and fix it. and get silence in return. Sigh. I cant wait to get to the gym after work. I work out my anger that way. although I could smash a few things here but then I would have to clean up the mess. At least my cats keep me grounded.

I have to make appointments for my cats to get their yearly exams. I hope it doesn't cost too much money. Money. Wish it grew on trees. I am a pretty good gardner and if I could grow money I would.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a good weekend, for the most part. I forgot how it seems to last longer when I actually go out (other than grocery shopping).

Friday night I went out to a show at House of Blues. I actually completely skipped the Dead Kennedys, but was there for all the other bands. It was a bit different. For instance, they talked over the PA system in a bit more detail than I've heard about the exits and making sure to know where they were. Everyone knew what happened, all the bands did a tribute to the Orlando victims, but everyone was having a good time. Gave me shivers. We refused to let the terrorists win by scaring us inside (even though my mom was scared about me going). The only bad part of that evening was getting to the place. I live in the northern suburbs, and it took me two hours to get there. Was so glad I already reserved a parking spot, but I did not want to go looking for one. And the people - so many people walking around! And stupid drivers. The Stupid seems to run amok in the Loop.

Saturday, I saw a friend mention on FB that Smash Mouth was playing at a festival in Oswego. I seriously considered going, even though it's over an hour's drive away (which is nothing compared to the two hour ride the night before which was only 1/5 the distance Oswego is!). Then the migraine hit. It hit hard. Ended up staying home and watching a show about the 2013 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma.

And now today. Leftovers of the migraine are still there, and my neck is all cramped, but definitely overall better than last night. Going to see Against Me! with a friend tonight. Not sure I'm too keen on it but already said I'd go, so that's that. They are playing at a venue in Wrigleyville and there's a Cubs game tonight, so we're gonna head out early in hopes of actually getting a parking spot. Amazingly, it costs MORE to park in Wrigleyville than in the Loop. So we're hoping the area by the cemetery isn't all taken by the time we go.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Hope you all have a great day. Still spinning my wheels about something. I am sure things happened for a reason.So hard to please everyone. so hard to explain to others why I work so much and go to the gym. Its the only thing that's keeping me sane lately. I sometimes think too much about what is said to me in real life. Sometimes its hard for me to take ques from other people when verbally talking. Then I sit and think about conversaitions and wonder what I said was wrong. Then try to reach out to them and fix it. and get silence in return. Sigh. I cant wait to get to the gym after work. I work out my anger that way. although I could smash a few things here but then I would have to clean up the mess. At least my cats keep me grounded.

I have to make appointments for my cats to get their yearly exams. I hope it doesn't cost too much money. Money. Wish it grew on trees. I am a pretty good gardner and if I could grow money I would.
It sounds like you're having a tough time right now.  i think it's fantastic that you spend so much time at the gym.  When I used to do that, I felt so much better than I do now that there aren't even words to describe it.  You don't have to justify yourself to anyone for looking after your health.  

You've touched a pet peeve of mine - people who remain silent when you reach out to them to try to fix a misunderstanding.  That's up there with people who suddenly just cut off contact or start acting distant without giving a reason. 

Oh, those annual exams.... Paul and Chula are due as well and I've been waiting for a check to come in.  And waiting and waiting   I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go.  I really don't want to put it off much longer.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys are gonna be up for their annual exam soon. I'm actually quite excited about having a vet visit that is not because one of my pets is sick. Plus I love showing off my boys - they were 3.5 lbs each the last time they saw them. Now Oscar is 9lbs and Oliver is 12lbs!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It sounds like you're having a tough time right now.  i think it's fantastic that you spend so much time at the gym.  When I used to do that, I felt so much better than I do now that there aren't even words to describe it.  You don't have to justify yourself to anyone for looking after your health.  

You've touched a pet peeve of mine - people who remain silent when you reach out to them to try to fix a misunderstanding.  That's up there with people who suddenly just cut off contact or start acting distant without giving a reason. 

Oh, those annual exams.... Paul and Chula are due as well and I've been waiting for a check to come in.  And waiting and waiting   I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go.  I really don't want to put it off much longer.
yeah its funny how people are. Then there are the fake smiles and the whispering behind closed hands family members. I had a family member who told other people some of my issues that I said was for her ears only and she blabbed it to everyone who would listen. This was about 7 years ago. Those people treated me differently afterwards and still give me an attitude. This is why I always say guard your secrets close. Don't divulge anything to anyone as they can use it against you.

The person finally got back to me. after I saw they read the note an hour before. So I guess they had to spend an hour thinking up a good excuse for their behavior. Here we go again. So its fake smiles and I love yous when the going gets tuff they are no where to be found.   Luckily that guy at the club seems to be compassionate and listening but I didn't divulge any of my dilemma to him. He doesn't need to be burdened with my bullcrap.

See that's what depressed people do. We don't show our cards because we know the price we will pay so we opt for silence instead. And all this over a visit. And the person who originally reached out wouldn't tell everyone that is all they wanted...instead they sit back and laugh while others squabble. Grrrrr. I will be the perfect smiles. They will never see the pain. I wont let them. It will work itself out. Or at the very least I have Honeybee to console me at the end of the day.
Sweet Honeybee. Shes my best friend and purrs for me everytime I pick her up. Licks my face. Rubs against my ankles. Just a real sweet heart.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah its funny how people are. Then there are the fake smiles and the whispering behind closed hands family members. I had a family member who told other people some of my issues that I said was for her ears only and she blabbed it to everyone who would listen. This was about 7 years ago. Those people treated me differently afterwards and still give me an attitude. This is why I always say guard your secrets close. Don't divulge anything to anyone as they can use it against you.

The person finally got back to me. after I saw they read the note an hour before. So I guess they had to spend an hour thinking up a good excuse for their behavior. Here we go again. So its fake smiles and I love yous when the going gets tuff they are no where to be found.   Luckily that guy at the club seems to be compassionate and listening but I didn't divulge any of my dilemma to him. He doesn't need to be burdened with my bullcrap.

See that's what depressed people do. We don't show our cards because we know the price we will pay so we opt for silence instead. And all this over a visit. And the person who originally reached out wouldn't tell everyone that is all they wanted...instead they sit back and laugh while others squabble. Grrrrr. I will be the perfect smiles. They will never see the pain. I wont let them. It will work itself out. Or at the very least I have Honeybee to console me at the end of the day.
Sweet Honeybee. Shes my best friend and purrs for me everytime I pick her up. Licks my face. Rubs against my ankles. Just a real sweet heart.
All right, a long time ago I used to suffer from depression, but I was able to change the way I thought. Have you tried using the Pollyanna approach? (It might not work for you, but it worked for me.) Just a thought, and just trying to help. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what that is. I just need to stay away from toxic people. Unfortunately I don't want to abandon my family because of something silly. So I put up with it. I envy those who are close to people they can trust. But there lies the issue. I don't trust these people. That's something I have to work on myself. I will be ok. I always am.

Its warm out and I hope all are having a great fathers day. I cant wait to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.