Leo has an abscess or cyst that burst/ Update

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, the little hole was a little sticky this morning. Cleaned it up, opened it up. Nothing really came out. But I must have tickled Leo’s whiskers or nose and he started sneezing. Just a few. But then I noticed that he was swallowing something.
Is it possible that he is swallowing the leftover pus now? Because there literally is nothing filling in the hole. Before I could see the pus down there after I cleaned it.

I know it’s hard to see because his fur is coming back in. But it’s the tiny darker oval shape
20230813_125102.jpg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he was swallowing a little snot/spit that he sneezed up??
I would call the vet and express these concerns with them and see if they can see him for a check up

Last edited:

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For reference, this is what it looked like July 31. How I could see pus down there.
20230731_193437 2.jpg

Maybe he was swallowing a little snot or spit that he sneezed up??
I would call the vet and express these concerns with them and see if they can see him for a check up
she said he will sneeze because I am tickling his whiskers. A cat can’t blow their nose, they will sneeze because of an irritant.

I was just wondering if he could e swallowing the pus. Because she said it’s going to take awhile for him to clear pus out of that area because of where it is. No gravity to help it drain.

I mean he is fine, it’s not constant, just after he sneezed.

vet is closed on Sunday. And she is on vacation next week..I’m not really concerned I just wondered if pus will go down thru his mouth to his stomach?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess what I meant was mucous from his sinuses.. but if the area continued to go down until it formed a hole into the roof of his mouth I guess your answer is yes it is possible. I don't think it would because the hole is smaller do you know if it is becoming more shallow? I honestly can't see it in the new picture

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is it draining into his nasal passages or mouth? From the abscess itself or from the sides of his face?

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked at him again, there is nothing draining. And he is breathing normally.

He doesn't snore, eats, no problem.

I think i just tickled his whiskers with the paper towel.

There is no hole in the roof of his mouth. The vet said the hole was only in the skin layers. Said it was a sebcataneous (spelling?) Cyst.

It is much shallower and it is shrinking inward.

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess what I meant was mucous from his sinuses.. but if the area continued to go down until it formed a hole into the roof of his mouth I guess your answer is yes it is possible. I don't think it would because the hole is smaller do you know if it is becoming more shallow? I honestly can't see it in the new picture
Yeah, its hard for me to even find it now and I know where it is. Its the darker oval shaped over his eye

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Due to the location, if it was draining into his mouth you would have far more serious issues going on because it would have to go through the brain cavity to reach the upper plate.

A cat's brain is just behind the eyes and is structuraly simmaler to a human brain, that's why cats are prefered subjects for neuroscience.