Leo has an abscess or cyst that burst/ Update

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought for awhile that he didn’t like the scented litters, because he would sneeze after using his box.switched him to unscented a long time ago and that was that.

I don’t use cleaning products around him.

I have to calm down and realize this isn’t gonna kill him, he’s not even changed his behavior other that ducking me when he sees me coming at him.

I read that even if he has an upper respiratory infection, if he is breathing fine, they usually resolve with just home care.

i still understand why she say don’t take him into a steamy room? Isn’t that what you all would do? That doesn’t make sense. I have allergies, that’s what I do when I am congested.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might have meant just while his little abcess area heals because of the moisture?? I don't know though
Can you call and ask why she recommended not putting him in a steamy room and see what she says?

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She might have meant just while his little abcess area heals because of the moisture?? I don't know though
Can you call and ask why she recommended not putting him in a steamy room and see what she says?
I already asked, she said he is already congested and that will make it worse.

which sounds kookoo to me

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about Leo's injury. Since he never goes outside the only thing, I could think of was that he hit his head on the end of a nail or screw projecting down from a piece of furniture or your cabinets or shelves in one of your closets. Once when picking up a small footstool I managed to rip a long gash on one of my fingers due to the head of a nail sticking down from the underside of the seat. I don't know if I just missed it when picking it up before or it worked its way down. But you might want to check under all your furniture and cabinets and shelves with a flashlight. Don't forget about the bed.

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dumb question. Does a cat
I've been thinking about Leo's injury. Since he never goes outside the only thing, I could think of was that he hit his head on the end of a nail or screw projecting down from a piece of furniture or your cabinets or shelves in one of your closets. Once when picking up a small footstool I managed to rip a long gash on one of my fingers due to the head of a nail sticking down from the underside of the seat. I don't know if I just missed it when picking it up before or it worked its way down. But you might want to check under all your furniture and cabinets and shelves with a flashlight. Don't forget about the bed.
no injury

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dumb question. Does the cat’s nostrils drain down into the mouth and down the throat? Are there sinuses that go up into their forehead like we have?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They do have sinuses like we do. And fluid can drain into their throat. (One reason the mouth bleeds after a car accident)

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seems like it’s coming out fron on top of the bridge of his nose now. And a lot of it. I had to pull the scab off again.

and now he is constipated from the antibiotics. This is the 3rd day since his last BM, he did a tiny one 2 days ago. This is why I hate giving him antibiotics because he always goes thru this. He is a little slow going, he usually goes about every 18 hours.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats the downside of the injectable antibiotic, if there is an adverse reaction it can't just be stopped.

Are you able to give him a laxitive?

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats the downside of the injectable antibiotic, if there is an adverse reaction it can't just be stopped.

Are you able to give him a laxitive?
no he had a very bad reaction to one before. Started frothing at the mouth.

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Loctulose? Not sure how to spell it, that’s one of them

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Lactulose is a common medication, maybe the most common, prescribed for cats with constipation. We cannot tell you what to give Leo, but you might ask the vet if using Miralax would work. It dissolves completely in water or even in a very soupy food or treat like Hartz Delectables and Leo would probably not know that he is taking it.

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lactulose is a common medication, maybe the most common, prescribed for cats with constipation. We cannot tell you what to give Leo, but you might ask the vet if using Miralax would work. It dissolves completely in water or even in a very soupy food or treat like Hartz Delectables and Leo would probably not know that he is taking it.
Tried Miralax too. Not good.

he’s eating, sooner or later what goes in will have to go out

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay Leo. Keep those good poopsies coming little buddy!!
And I don't think you're a true pet parent until you get excited about them using the bathroom at the very minimum of one time...
It is actually quite common for us to get excited for them going potty lol
How is his cyst area doing?

BarbT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay Leo. Keep those good poopsies coming little buddy!!
And I don't think you're a true pet parent until you get excited about them using the bathroom at the very minimum of one time...
It is actually quite common for us to get excited for them going potty lol
How is his cyst area doing?
Believe me when I saw the stools this morning, I started crying tears of joy.

Today the cyst area is pretty good. A little bit of crusted stuff around the hole this morning. A little bit of pus seeped out when I wiped it off.

The hole is more like a slit now.

His vet talked to me and said its really about where it is, on top of his head. Gravity isnt helping it drain so it is seeping up and out. But it is barely anything today. She said not to try to push it out because it doesn't work like that and I'll end up spreading it.

She said, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab. Don't try to squeeze it out.

She said that the hole seems to be healing from the inside out is a good sign and what we want to see. (I sent her a picture)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe me when I saw the stools this morning, I started crying tears of joy.

Today the cyst area is pretty good. A little bit of crusted stuff around the hole this morning. A little bit of pus seeped out when I wiped it off.

The hole is more like a slit now.

His vet talked to me and said its really about where it is, on top of his head. Gravity isnt helping it drain so it is seeping up and out. But it is barely anything today. She said not to try to push it out because it doesn't work like that and I'll end up spreading it.

She said, dab, dab, dab, dab, dab. Don't try to squeeze it out.

She said that the hole seems to be healing from the inside out is a good sign and what we want to see. (I sent her a picture)
That's awesome. I'm glad he is doing well healing slowly but healing. It is really good that it is from the inside out that is exactly what you want.
I have been there believe me crying over a poop..
Oh man, when I got Gabby spayed this was the worst!!!!! When we got her home I was bawling because the whole day and night she couldn't stand up or walk I thought she had a stroke or something while under anesthesia I kept calling the vet that day into the next day. She was just really drugged up... if she tried to stand up and walk she would wobble and fall over like she was drunk. She was spayed at 10 in the morning I picked her up at 4 in the evening and it lasted til well after midnight. I was so scared
Our fur babies have a way of scaring the heck out of us lol