Lazlo's been vomiting...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought I was trying to address a hairball issue. It didn't seem like an emergency, as he was eating, playing, and pooping normally, and all the signs (undigested food) were hairball. So we treated him for hairballs. It seemed to help - the daily vomiting stopped. Then it started again. Sometimes undigested food - sometimes hair in it - sometimes digested food.
I treated him again for hairballs. About 5 days ago, I found the largest hairball I've ever seen. It HAD to be Lazlo.

BUT.... he's still throwing up! Not every day, but he was retching on an empty stomach. I had to schedule Shel for his annual anyway, so they both went in today.

Some of you may remember we switched to an all wet diet at the beginning of November. They've both lost weight, and I was worried that Lazlo, especially, was too thin. And Shel, who I thought was thin and maybe losing too much weight on this all wet diet - she says he's a good weight, but losing a little more wouldn't hurt him!
I wanted to find a dry food that would work for all of them (allergies & UTI issues between all 8 of them) so they could free feed again - but now I'm not worried about it. They're definitely NOT starving!

As to Lazlo, it turns out that he weighed 12 pounds 4 oz. in May (at his annual). He now weighs 11 pounds 7 oz. The vet says he looks GREAT, his weight perfect. He didn't mind being palpated at all (no pain or discomfort, just indignity
). She took x-rays (and blood - even though he had a senior panel done in May, 8 months in a cat is like 5 years in a person, and with what's been going on, we figured better safe than sorry). X-rays are clear - and internally he looks great too (though he does have to poop LOL).

Soooo...... hopefully it's just a cycle of gastroenteritis that got started with the hairball problem. He's on 1/4 of a 75mg zantac once daily, and we'll see how he does over a week.
If this doesn't resolve the problem, the next step is an endoscopy.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My prayers go to you and Lazlo, Laurie!! I hope it soon passes and there's no need for endoscopy--yuck! Keep us updated...

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Lazlo is sick. I hope whatever it is, he gets better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we started his zantac half way between feedings today (on an empty stomach and two hours before the next meal), so here's hoping it works fast LOL. Of course I'm worried about Lazlo - but I've really cleaned up enough throw up!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you feed the same food every day (same variety and same brand)? We found out that Callie couldn't eat any food that had fish in it because it caused her the throw up. Stopped giving her the variety with tuna and other fish and she never threw up again.

Hope Lazlo is feeling better soon and I hope you figure it all out.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feed the same type of wet try to find out if the ingredients have recently changed.

Grizzlie in the spring can vomit a bit (shedding and licks alot). My vet suggested just boiled chicken breast for a couple of days to calm her stomach down. It always seems to work. Hard part is keeping the other cats away from "her" food!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's on prescription food - Hill's c/d. 6 years now. All we did is remove the dry for free feeding, and they get four wet meals of food a day.

I thought maybe he ate a rubber band or something that was stuck in his stomach. Of course certain types of plastic won't show up on the x-ray, but rubber bands usually do. His tummy LOOKED empty. But that's why if the zantac doesn't work, the next step is endoscopy.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, he threw up last night. It looks like basically just bile - slightly greenish and not much.

They get fed 4 times a day, at 8:30am, 1:30pm, around 6:30pm, and 11:30pm, so every five hours. I wonder if his stomach starts growling and producing digestive juices around 5:30am? He did wake me up at 6:00 meowing like he does when I'm feeding them.

I guess ideally I'd be giving him his zantac at around 1:30am on an empty tummy LOL. Well it's not like I get enough sleep anyway.... guess we'll give that a try.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's certainly possible. Does he lay down to sleep with (as in same time) you guys at night? And is he one of those cats that flops over on their side?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's true some cats can't tolerate an empty stomach. Tolly gets very sick when he has to fast for his pheno level test.

How long did you treat for the hair ball issue, sometimes it takes a while to get it all moved out.

did the x ray show any gas? Well...the zantac would help with that anyway.

Lazlo

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well he just threw up undigested food 20 minutes ago. His stomach should have been empty almost two hours ago.

His x-ray showed he was full of poop. I wonder if he's slightly constipated - if he hadn't pooped since yesterday, I'm wondering if that would cause a motility problem with his tummy.
I called the vet. I'm waiting for her to call back. I'm wondering if I should give him some type of laxative... and if so, what we'd have around here that would work....

The only issue I've got is that when we first moved to all wet, no one was happy - but he seemed to tolerate the empty stomach just fine for the month of November into December.

As to sleep, Lazlo usually curls up between Gary's legs for part of the night, and the rest is usually spent up in the cabinet. He's not a side sleeper, he does the cat ball thing, and does sleep at night.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to update when she called.

She wants us just to stick to the zantac for one week (unless he's drastically losing weight or something changes). She doesn't think he needs a laxative - unless he starts acting constipated (which he isn't).

I'd add pumpkin to his food, but he won't eat if there's pumpkin mixed in.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh hun I am so sorry I missed this, vibes for you and Lazlo and I really hop Lazlo is ok.xxx

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're sure to be worried about him all the time. The problem I find with having so many cats is that there is always somebody to worry about because something isn't right with somebody.

I really hope that Lazlo's problem will turn around soon.

The worst thing, I think, is to not really know what is going on, and so, not knowing what to do about it.

I have a chronic vomiter (Lily). I keep trying different things to help her. It is better than it was. But it still goes on somewhat. Just when I think we have the problem licked, it comes back. It is a worry. I know.

Robin

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, no vomit last night!

I did give him his zantac at 1:30am, and when he meowed at me at 6:00am (same time as yesterday), I did let him eat a little c/d kibble.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Knock wood - no vomit yesterday, none last night!

Interestingly.... I fed them 15 minutes early at their last feeding last night. And this morning what time did Lazlo meow? Not 6:00am like the last two nights, but 5:46am.
That boy is right on schedule!

Of course, I'm left wondering if just getting a little food in his tummy is what's helping, or if it's the zantac... but I really don't care. The plan is to move the zantac to every other day after a week, then every third day, &etc.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did he ever poop? Have you noticed a correlation to throwing up and not pooping? Callie used to do that. If she needed to poop, she'd throw up or not want to eat.