Latest Star Wars

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed the movie. Hubby and I went to see it today. The one thing that really got to me was the change in Padmes voice!! Maybe it was just the theater I was in (however everyone else sounded normal) but Padme sounds much.... higher pitched. Did anyone else notice that?

bearcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw RTOS last Tuesday with by bf.

It was good, but not flawless.

The only disappointment I had was Padma (Natalie Portman). Lucas totally fouled up and there is now a gigantic plot hole, having to do with Leia in Return of the Jedi.
^^ Totally agree with this ^^ The thing that bothered me the most was Padme dying. Because, as sooo many people have pointed out, Leia and Luke talked about their mother in that Ewok village. I don't know the exact quote, but I do remember Leia saying that their mother was beautiful but sad.

Anyhoo my beef with her part in this was mainly how they just did her up in pretty dresses and made her seem so dang weak. NO WOMAN that I know would just "lose the will to live" just cuz a guy left her; after all, she has two babies to raise
EXACTLY^^ Padme's character was just sterotypical, story book, weak, delicate woman. Rather insulting to women, especailly since Leia was such a strong woman/character.

There were other little knitpicky things that bothered me, but overall it was satisfying to see how Lucas turned Anikan into Vader.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought a lot about the big plot hole involving Padme dying and Leia and Luke's conversation. I really think that Lucas sacrificed continuity so that everything could be wrapped up at the end. I don't think that fans could have walked away knowing Padme was alive and dies 'somehow' between Episodes 3 and 4. I also don't think that Episode 3 could have carried on to the point where Padme dies later on Alderaan. It really had to end where it did with the 'birth' of Vader.

It's so amazing becuase there are so many other details that Lucas paid attention to for the sake of continuity. For example, Obi-Wan does pick up Anakin's light saber at the conclusion of their battle, and it's the same color (light-wise) as the one he gives to Luke in Episode 4.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I loved it! I am so pleasantly surprised! Well, the holes in the plot...maybe Leia was talking about her adopted Mother? I mean they had to grow up during the Empire, life must have been hard. I thought they did a good job of tieing up the loose ends. And I am sorry....Lucas totally wrote many of those scenes based on current events. I mean ...."we have become what we were fighting against", "they have the senate AND the courts" "now we can have a safe and secure world" Also it being a Senator who turns evil, not some maniac. Also was it me or did that guy standing next to the new Emperor while he told hte fake liberty speech to the "senate" look like the statue of liberty.

Anyways, bravo George, good show.

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darkeyedgirl

I've decided, if I'm ever to be a damsel in distress, the knight I want rescuing me is Ewan's Obi-Wan.

Oh man, *drool*, me too. His whole attitude, the way he jumps into stuff and his sarcasm, wit, sense of humor and just plain ballsi-ness (is that a word) is hot, hot, HOT! Daring & courageous. Cute, too.
Hehe... join the club.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the movie but feel the same as others about Padme. I mean the dying thing was whacked for one, for the fact leia remembered her, and I don't care how strong leia is in the force it's just b.s. But the way Padme was such a weak woman.. that just really got to me because I know her character could have been much stronger and should have been according to the star wars formula. She should have been killed, not just died because of depression due to finding out that her man is evil. It would have been more powerful had he as vader in full suit killed her when leia was like 4.. that would make sense..