Lady bugs anyone?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not Ladybugs here, but Gnats! They just swarm like crazy! DH even had to wipe them off his face today at work. He said his windshield was plastered with them! You practically feel like you are swallowing them or something!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anything would want to eat them...........they stink.EWWWWWWWWWW
They have actually been known to drop batches of them from Helicopters around here.To keep down bug infestations.Not sure what bugs they kill.I've heard they are good for roaches though.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by taterbug

The ones here aren't red with black spots...they are orange with black spots!! Some people around here call them "taterbugs"...(hehe)but I think they are some sort of a pine beetle??? Guess it depends on where you are?
Yes we have those too,but they are even rarer.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have both the american version , and the japanese version.
the birds wont eat the japanese version.

lol but the cats love when they get in the house

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have red and black spotted ones and orange and black spotted ones here too.(I'm in West Virginia--right on the borders of Ohio and Kentucky)

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by crittermom

I don't think anything would want to eat them...........they stink.EWWWWWWWWWW
They have actually been known to drop batches of them from Helicopters around here.To keep down bug infestations.Not sure what bugs they kill.I've heard they are good for roaches though.
Oh they are good at munching their way through hundreds of aifids/greenfly/blackfly
One can eat over a hundred in a day!!!

So if you have that many ladybirds....just Imagine how many aifids/greenfly/blackfly there would be without the little ladybird

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

The ones here aren't red with black spots...they are orange with black spots!! Some people around here call them "taterbugs"...(hehe)but I think they are some sort of a pine beetle??? Guess it depends on where you are?
Well DUUUH!! No they aren't pine beetles! They are Asian Lady Beetles here!! I just googled it!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Well I thought you might have already known that TATERBUG
Wouldn't ya though??
That what I get for trying to remember what our local newspaper said about them!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I love lady bugs! Except I always thought they smelled like lettuce. But when it is warm there will be tons of them in the upper part of the windows. I don't see the problem, they don't do any harm and I want them around in the summer when I have my little garden. I don't mind them at all, I just leave them be cuz in a few weeks they will be gone when it gets colder out. Sometimes though I will scoop up a handful and throw them outside, I am sure they come back though.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is they get into your food,your hair,invade your home,stink,BITE!!! If they are outside and there isn't an invasion of them,I don't mind them at all.But,in my home.......I do mind them.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Asian ladybettles are more orange and much larger than their American cousins who are definately more red and smaller. The Asian ones are the ons trying to find a warm out to over winter (our houses!!) Since we had a few hard frosts they are quite to bad anyomre. The other insect is the box elder bug which are just as bad in wanting to come inside!

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ladybird bugs are what I've always called them and I love them! My little cousins used to love to try and catch them. I didn't know that they smelled though, but then again, I've never got them that near to my nose to have a sniff!

In South Africa we used to get Christmas Beetles that used to swarm in the December time! Often our pool was just floating bugs! They really irratated me to now end. These are them: http://www.ento.csiro.au/ecowatch/Pr...mas_beetle.jpg

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have them bad this year. But in the spring time they are horrible. They only invade my office at home and then there are thousands. I can sweep a zillion up one day and the next day they are a zillion more. You all can keep them!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of a story...

A few years ago, my family and I rented a cottage up north. Besides other gross thing like a dead squirrel in the woodstove, there were what we thought were dead lady bugs all over the house. Well, once we turned the heat on, they weren't dead anymore, they had been hibernating or something and they all came alive and started flying around! Yuck! I can honestly say I didn't know they stink, though...

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've recently had a massive problem with the crane fly's (also known as flying Daddy Long Legs) but Pippin loves to chase them and eat them so I don't mind at all! One has been hiding behind the fish tank for a week and everytime he tries to fly out, Pippin tries to eat him so he fly's back! Poor little daddy long legs! Here is what they look like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-CraneFly.jpg

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call those female Mosquitos around here.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those ladybugs (the disgusting orange ones) have invaded here (in Central Virginia) too! And my good gawd, yes, they stink to high heaven and bite the beejeezus out of you if you don't knock it off and squish the guts out of it before it can! The little buggers sink those little teeth (or whatever it is they have) into a piece of your skin and it STINGS like fire! I hate 'em. As a matter of pure fact, I hate 'em so bad that I used to adore sucking them up in the Hoover, but now my new passion is watching them swirl down a drain, usually the toilet. *evil grin* I come upon a particularly large patch of them, normally in a high, warm corner of a ceiling in my home, sweep them up into a dustpan, drop them into the bowl ... and then watch with total glee as they go down the hole.

Did I mention that I don't like them???

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ew, those ladybugs are sick..they make little orange stains when they land on stuff too...they ruined a pair of pants I had on the clothes line one time.

Little buggers.