Labor signs?

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My queen (Peppa) is 57-59 days pregnant (I'm not sure exactly the date she conceived but it's a 2 day window), she's grooming herself excessively today. Not on her genitals but all over her tummy and biting her nipples. She isn't showing any other signs yet and doesn't have her milk through. The kittens were moving like crazy for the past 2 weeks but have now slowed down alot in comparison. I'm just wondering if there's any other signs I should be looking out for? Any advice is appreciated!

Thankyou!

I should also add, her genitals look swollen today?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is showing typical and normal end of pregnancy signs. This can go on for a few days to a week or more before labor and delivery. Milk may come in before or after delivery.

Since she is no further than 59 days, let’s hope she carries for at least a few more days. Premature kittens have a rough time, and each day in utero counts with kittens much more than with premature human babies.

Do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope its braxton hicks contractions, because delivry now is esrly; with big risks kittens will be oremature.

Although I have heard of female regularly birthing healthy kittens day 58-59z. It depends also on maternity lines...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm hoping she holds out another week! Is the reduced movement of the kittens normal in the last week of pregnancy?

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is showing typical and normal end of pregnancy signs. This can go on for a few days to a week or more before labor and delivery. Milk may come in before or after delivery.

Since she is no further than 59 days, let’s hope she carries for at least a few more days. Premature kittens have a rough time, and each day in utero counts with kittens much more than with premature human babies.

Do keep us posted!
Thankyou so much for your reply!

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope its braxton hicks contractions, because delivry now is esrly; with big risks kittens will be oremature.

Although I have heard of female regularly birthing healthy kittens day 58-59z. It depends also on maternity lines...
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm hoping she holds out another week! Is the reduced movement of the kittens normal in the last week of pregnancy?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, because they are bigger and therefore more squished, and because they move toward the birth canal, which shifts their weight and mom’s.

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow you're so helpful, thankyou! It's my first time raising a pregnant cat, but I have been reading articles and other people's questions 24/7 since the minute I found out she was pregnant. I'm like a helicopter cat mum! Hahah. Will keep you updated over the next 2 weeks :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure you monitor kittens weighting them... Start weight and the daily changes / adding.
Its the easiest way to know how they are...

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure you monitor kittens weighting them... Start weight and the daily changes / adding.
Its the easiest way to know how they are...
Yes with this ☝☝ I'd go ahead and weigh them the same time every day and write their weights in a notebook this will make sure that you aren't trying to remember what they weighed the day before I say the same time every day because if one day you weigh them at 10 at night then the next day at 9 in the morning they aren't going to have the same gains as if there were 24 hours that had gone by.. this is my personal opinion on weighing kittens.. please keep us posted. Will be looking for pictures too 😍

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh thankyou both for the advice! I will update you as anything happens 💗

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no new signs today which is good! Everything still the same as yesterday, other than the kittens are now moving like crazy again, literally non stop moving. She hasn't eaten as much as she usually would today - however still eaten a good amount of food. She's been twitching a lot in her sleep (full body twitches so don't think it's contractions or braxton hicks).

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to post a pretty gross photo, so warning!!
Any ideas what this could be and if its normal? I saw her wiping her genitals on the floor (sort of scooting her bum along the floor) and saw this ?

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think she's dropped? 1st pic was 2 days ago and second pic was last night
IMG_20230818_132939.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s difficult to say, and not all cats “drop.” Be patient!

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Labor has started!!

rparksie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is having visible contractions and her water has broke. How long should I wait for delivery before being worried?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First stage labor can take 24-36 hours. If she is trying to push out a kitten for an hour without success, that is an emergency. Otherwise, if she is in no other distress, just comfort her through her contractions.