Koko most likely has IBD - a new journey for me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FeLV test was negative. The vet is finishing up a dental then she's on to Koko's biopsy.

My stomach is in knots today.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's back home hiding under the bed right now. She still has the gauze wrap on her arm from where the IV was and she's a bit scared by it.

We'll know for sure when the lab results are in, but there was a new symptom today discovered today when they ran her bloodwork again prior to surgery. Her platelet count is less than half of what it should be, which is another marker for bone marrow leukemia. Normal is about 200,000. Hers is 88,000. At 40,000 it is life threatening. Her body won't be able to clot blood and she will start bruising all over her body when it can't control the blood flow.

They left the bandage on because she does have some clotting issues already. I'll take it off later tonight.

Based on how this progressed in the last few weeks and the prognosis for this cancer. We may be looking at a few weeks now.

Oops, she just came out. I'm going to love on her for a bit. Deli meat time.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh. I am so sorry to hear this Amy. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please give your baby kisses for me.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no Amy, I am so very sorry to hear this news..... :( :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Still praying for a miracle :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy - I am sorry about the news of her blood test - platelet count :sniffle: Please know I am sending massive vibes your way tonight for you and Koko. Will be waiting for the news of the biopsy :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She was very happy to have her bandage removed last night. She once again slept snuggled soundly in her daddy's arms.

Oh that nasty internet again. Did the google again this morning and found more information on specific types of leukemia. Koko's would fall into the Myelegenous Leukemia category (AML). One of the leading causes of AML is FeLV. Apparently they have discovered variants of that virus that can go undetected and trigger this cancer.

I was wondering why my vet said that she was going to ask for them to look for the virus in the bone marrow specimen. I didn't question it at the time but figured it wouldn't hurt to look. Apparently they can find it in the marrow when they can't find it any other way. If they find it and it is the trigger, then I do need to keep a closer eye on my entire household, and my friend who adopted Koko's littermates has to keep a close eye on hers.

On the positive side, she pigged out on the deli ham I gave her last night, then a couple hours later pigged out on canned food. She's a little more subdued this morning. I think all the pain meds wore off overnight and she's a bit stiff. If this continues, I'll get up to the vet when they open and get some pain meds for her. The cancer itself isn't painful, its what the damaged blood does to other body organs that can cause pain or discomfort.

I'm sick to my stomach but doing my best to keep my game face on right now. My kids always pick up on my stress, and I can't show that to them right now.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Amy I remember that sick to my stomach feeling. I really truly thought I would vomit or pass out. Matter of fact, when I brought Alex to the vet because she was jaundiced and they told me she had to be hospitalized and she maybe wouldn't make it, my knees gave out right there in the vet's office and I passed out. They never had that happen before (embarrassing for me) but I was so distraught and stressed. You're really doing much better at keeping that game face than you think. This is not fair what's happening to your sweet baby. It never is. But you aren't alone in this. Spill your guts here if you need to, don't hold it in and make yourself sick like that.

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It hurts so much when our babies are sick... I swear my hair is falling out because I worry about my girl so much.  I would give the whole world if I could make her healthy.  I'm sending lots of hugs and kisses to your baby Koko. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She was very happy to have her bandage removed last night. She once again slept snuggled soundly in her daddy's arms.
Oh that nasty internet again. Did the google again this morning and found more information on specific types of leukemia. Koko's would fall into the Myelegenous Leukemia category (AML). One of the leading causes of AML is FeLV. Apparently they have discovered variants of that virus that can go undetected and trigger this cancer.
I was wondering why my vet said that she was going to ask for them to look for the virus in the bone marrow specimen. I didn't question it at the time but figured it wouldn't hurt to look. Apparently they can find it in the marrow when they can't find it any other way. If they find it and it is the trigger, then I do need to keep a closer eye on my entire household, and my friend who adopted Koko's littermates has to keep a close eye on hers.
On the positive side, she pigged out on the deli ham I gave her last night, then a couple hours later pigged out on canned food. She's a little more subdued this morning. I think all the pain meds wore off overnight and she's a bit stiff. If this continues, I'll get up to the vet when they open and get some pain meds for her. The cancer itself isn't painful, its what the damaged blood does to other body organs that can cause pain or discomfort.
I'm sick to my stomach but doing my best to keep my game face on right now. My kids always pick up on my stress, and I can't show that to them right now.
:yeah: OK - I didn't have my knees give out, and I didn't pass out. But everything started buzzing, and everyone sounded like they were talking through a tunnel.

I suspect you can't "show" anything but your game face. But if you need to let go, we're here for you. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Amy, I'm just so sorry. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: At least you've found her cheese danish. :heart3:

Holding you and Koko close in my thoughts and heart. :heart2:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please both of you make sure to take care of yourselves. I know how hard that is right now. You're probably thinking it's not near as important as caring for your babies but you are wrong for so many reasons. I did that and ended up so sick after she died. And I had a hard time staying focused when she was alive because I wrapped my entire day around her. That was necessary but I only had help from my elderly mom with Alex (thank god for that, I would have been lost). Both of you know my site, I have a Caregiver page there, please read it. It's about the stress we feel as caregivers and how it affects us as well.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been living with cats most of my life, and have lost so many of them over the years. When you commit yourself to the care of an animal, your have to remind yourself that their lives are way too short. I accept this as part of the adoption and have learned great ways of working through my pain by helping all of the others cope with their loss. Call it a distraction.

But this is the first of my bottle fed babies to be critically ill. She was the best behaved of the litter at that age. The only girl and almost prissy about getting herself messy (her brothers would fight each other to get to the bottle first and get totally messy in the process). But once weaned, she turned into the biggest terror of any cat I've owned. Perhaps because I never had to reprimand her during those early days and she never learned any discipline. We called her Koko-nut for many years.

Yeah, I'm already grieving. Somewhere between denial and acceptance. I keep hearing my mind say "Not Koko!!!!", then I get up to give her some cheese danish.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I know they gave you "short" estimates for a number of the others, and they beat all the odds. :heart3: But I think part of what's up is not just the way in which Koko's so special (because the others were too!), it's also just that this is all still new. And just unexpected. You didn't take her in because she was acting off, it was just annual checkups. :slant:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :heart2:

Last edited:

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The results of the biopsy is not in yet. It might be this afternoon, and if not, then on Monday. I really don't know why they don't put a rush on biopsies for cancers like this. It's going to be a long weekend if the results aren't back today.

Koko was agitated yesterday. I'm hoping it was just a little discomfort from the biopsy - she was licking at the point of the (tiny) incision. But she ate most of a huge slice of ham. Her appetite is still very good.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, it's really nice to hear her appetite is good - and that she's loving her ham! :rub: :D

I take it no update means no results. :(

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for a busy, happy, (hungry!) weekend, that the time just flies until you get that call. :nod: :cross: :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Amy. Thinking of you this weekend. The waiting for a report on the biopsy has to be just nerve racking to say the least. Will be waiting for your update on the results. :cross: :hugs::hugs::hugs: Glad to hear that Koko has a good appetite!! Keep the HAM coming.... Koko says :rub: :heart2: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amy.......thinking of you and sending heartfelt prayers for all of you.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping you and Koko in my thoughts, wishing for that magic wand and a few free wishes.

Last edited: