Kitty with Urinary Blockage/Uroabdomen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Oliver and poor you! I'm glad you have an appointment, something certainly sounds off. It could be a number of things from a stubborn UTI, urinary stricture, crystals...please keep us updated and I'm sending many vibes your way!
The doc thinks it is just leftover pain from the blocking.  Or, that he is pissed at us for changing his food or something.  No fever, bladder and belly are both the size they need to be!  And he is obviously peeing, so no worries there!  He gave us a couple more days of pain meds, we will see if those do the trick.  He peed out of character again this morning.  And he does it only in front of us.  I think he might have been right about the ticked off cat.  He didn't do it at all last night.  In the mornings, they are usually screaming their heads off hungry.  I wonder if we have a new naughty habit to contend with....  They used to get dry food left out for them, and now they have to wait for me to get up to feed them.  I used to think that my kids ruled the roost, but now I'm not so sure :eek:)

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I believe pain is the problem and the cat looks to it's owners for help (display of symptoms) over the anthropomorphic "I'll show you" attitude. Although many times myself I've sworn the latter was the case! In any case, I've seen threads on retraining cats to use the litter box and maybe there will be information in those that may help. I'd be willing to play both sides and then reduce the pain meds to get my cat using the litter box again.

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I believe pain is the problem and the cat looks to it's owners for help (display of symptoms) over the anthropomorphic "I'll show you" attitude. Although many times myself I've sworn the latter was the case! In any case, I've seen threads on retraining cats to use the litter box and maybe there will be information in those that may help. I'd be willing to play both sides and then reduce the pain meds to get my cat using the litter box again.
He has pain meds now, so hopefully they will help.  I gave him his first dose after the incident this morning.  The pattern of only displaying the habit in the mornings is what made me kind of wonder if he wasn't ticked off about something.  He used his litter box fine all the rest of yesterday.  We will see how the next couple of days go.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me, I've been up almost 36 hours now and may have missed things in your posts! I'm glad that he's on pain meds. Did they check his urine?

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgive me, I've been up almost 36 hours now and may have missed things in your posts! I'm glad that he's on pain meds. Did they check his urine?
No, we haven't done that yet.  If this keeps up, we will.  

And no worries!  Go get some sleep :eek:)

feline follower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I know what you are going thru and it is a long painful process, but  it can be a success.

My Gabriel, who is now 10, had a FLUTD when he was only 2 years of age.  He was blocked and like you said, took us by surprise one night, when he jumped onto the middle of the bed and squatted down and strained to urinate.  Then he went and hid himself in a corner.  It was a combination of being in pain and also not sure if he was going to be scolded.  I took him to an emergency vet the next day.  It was during a holiday, of course, (it always is) and this vet drained him and also put in a catheter.  The vet told me that if I had waited any longer to take him to the vet, he would be dead.  He put him on antibiotic for the infection, prednisolone, a diuretic and also a pill to help prevent crystal, which were causing the blockage.

Gabe had 4 bouts with blockages over the years and as my regular vet says, has spent all of his nine lives.  The last time it happened his urethra opening was so scarred that the vet could barely insert the catheter.  He said that the walls of Gabe's bladder were weak and that he could no longer push out the urine.  I was beside myself.  Poor Gabe had to spend a week in the hospital.   Obviously, the vet doesn't know ME as well as he think he does.   I frantically searched the internet for medications that strengthen the bladder.  I found one medication that is given to humans for similar problems with prostate cancer.  Hopeful, I brought the information I found about the drug to my vet.  We had nothing to lose and if there was anyway to help Gabe, I was ready to do it.  He cut the dosage so low, so it could be taken by a cat.  I gave it to Gabe once  a day for about 4 days and it worked.  My baby was able to  urinate on his own and without problem  I was so happy.  He was then put on the supplement to make sure the crystals never come back.

That was 5 years ago, this New Year's Day.  Gabe has been fine, without any reoccurrence and  still takes the supplement 2 times a day with meals.  The name of it is Annomil and it is a large tablet that I crush in his food.  Also, I don't give him any dry food, which has helped.

I wish you and your cat the best and I hope that thing work out for him.  It is a very scary thing for cat and cat mommy, too.

Cheers,

Leslie

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi,

I know what you are going thru and it is a long painful process, but  it can be a success.

My Gabriel, who is now 10, had a FLUTD when he was only 2 years of age.  He was blocked and like you said, took us by surprise one night, when he jumped onto the middle of the bed and squatted down and strained to urinate.  Then he went and hid himself in a corner.  It was a combination of being in pain and also not sure if he was going to be scolded.  I took him to an emergency vet the next day.  It was during a holiday, of course, (it always is) and this vet drained him and also put in a catheter.  The vet told me that if I had waited any longer to take him to the vet, he would be dead.  He put him on antibiotic for the infection, prednisolone, a diuretic and also a pill to help prevent crystal, which were causing the blockage.

Gabe had 4 bouts with blockages over the years and as my regular vet says, has spent all of his nine lives.  The last time it happened his urethra opening was so scarred that the vet could barely insert the catheter.  He said that the walls of Gabe's bladder were weak and that he could no longer push out the urine.  I was beside myself.  Poor Gabe had to spend a week in the hospital.   Obviously, the vet doesn't know ME as well as he think he does.   I frantically searched the internet for medications that strengthen the bladder.  I found one medication that is given to humans for similar problems with prostate cancer.  Hopeful, I brought the information I found about the drug to my vet.  We had nothing to lose and if there was anyway to help Gabe, I was ready to do it.  He cut the dosage so low, so it could be taken by a cat.  I gave it to Gabe once  a day for about 4 days and it worked.  My baby was able to  urinate on his own and without problem  I was so happy.  He was then put on the supplement to make sure the crystals never come back.

That was 5 years ago, this New Year's Day.  Gabe has been fine, without any reoccurrence and  still takes the supplement 2 times a day with meals.  The name of it is Annomil and it is a large tablet that I crush in his food.  Also, I don't give him any dry food, which has helped.

I wish you and your cat the best and I hope that thing work out for him.  It is a very scary thing for cat and cat mommy, too.

Cheers,

Leslie
Thanks for your post :eek:)  I hope Oliver doesn't have quite the long battle with this that Gabe did!  What wet food do you feed him?  I don't get the impression that my vet wants us to stay on the Urinary S/O long term.  He is pushing us big time to go back to dry.  I'd love to find a non-prescription alternative.  I don't mind ordering it, or having it be pricey.  You really do get what you pay for, and I don't like feeding my boys cruddy stuff to start with.

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Poor guy, I hope the pain meds help him.
I think they did pretty well!  He's back to his normal bouncy self.  Just ask my Christmas tree :eek:)