Kitty with Urinary Blockage/Uroabdomen

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, that's good to know!  I never want to go through this again, and if there was a reason to wait with the next kitty, I would have pushed for it.

Off topic, but my neurotic self is starting to worry about the holiday weekend and the possibility of him re-blocking.  He looks good for now, but we all know how Murphy likes to go at all of us!  What does re-blocking look like?  Are there early signs?
The biggest key I noticed is that there were more urine clumps in the litter box than normal and they were much smaller in size.    I'd say until you feel confident he is stable, cleaning the box (using clumping litter of course)  frequently like six times a day and keeping an eye on how often he's going and how much he's going when he does will help you to catch anything early.    Once he gets in bigger trouble you'll see him frequently going to the box but not producing much.  The S/O food does deliberately increase urine volume and frequency, so the key to watch for are frequent visits producing only very small urine clumps.    Let's hope none of that will happen though!    The S/O dry has worked great for my guy.   

jacktoby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, my Toby went through the exact same thing last year, but when I got him home he continued to get blocked but then a friend told me that her vet said to use Senekot as it is all natural. I mixed up some in his wet food and it worked wonders. I had to use about once a week at first and now he's done to once a month. And way cheaper than taking him to the vet each time. It took a couple of months to figure out he couldn't digest cat grass. Good luck.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Most urinary blockages are caused by the high amounts of urine alkalizing metabolites in commercial cat food. These create struvite crystals. I recommend giving an herb called uva ursi.
Please be very careful about giving any herbs or anything without a vet's advice.  Information given by posters here are not based on your pet’s full history, and are by people who most likely do not have a degree in veterinary medicine. There are many home remedies, as well as approved veterinary treatments for cat health problems that may work for one cat, but be lethal for another cat. Please discuss any potential treatments with your vet first to ensure you are treating the right problem, and not potentially making it worse.

jacktoby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this was with a vet's advice, she looked into and talked to other vets before recommending, but yes I agree about asking your own vet, which is waht I did first; the stuff that you are recommending, where would it be purchased from? I am interested in trying other metods, if he will eat it. Like all cats he is finicky.

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for the neutering early, Moses was neutered at 5 months, and he still had a massive blockage so I'm inclined to say that age isn't a factor when it comes to neutering and blockages. I'm more inclined to just say that some cats have bad luck and some don't. My ex's parents have raised all of their cats on the cheapest grocery store brand cat food and their cats have lived for 20 years without any medical problems. I was feeding Moses cheap food when we first got him and that seems to be what caused his crystals. But at the same time, my other cats were also eating the cheap food and they were fine. I've now realized that the higher quality food is better for them for many reasons, but my point is just that some cats must be prone to it while other's aren't. Some cats live for 20 years on the cheapest food out there while other cats struggle to be healthy on the high quality stuff. Kind of like people I guess - some are prone to bad health while others can do everything wrong and live to be 100!

As for the signs to watch for, frequent urination in small amounts is what I always look for. When Moses came home from the vet after he went through this, I obsessively followed him around as much as I could. I would follow him to the litter box and just watch to make sure he was peeing correctly. The other poster is right that the SO food will cause him to pee more often, so that's ok. Just watch for the amount. Often is ok...often and very small amounts is not. BUT at the same time, keep in mind that he might still be sore too. Moses had some problems peeing when he first came home which made me panic, but he wasn't blocked again. He had had an infection along with being blocked and it took a while for the blood from his infection to completely clear out of his urine. He would squat to pee and then pee a lot - but he would stop and start. We figured out that it was just hurting him, it wasn't that he couldn't pee. He stopped acting like that after about 2 weeks. So that's something to keep in mind too. 

sooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what happened to my previous post. So if I am being repetitive, please excuse.

Most URI's (Urinary Tract Infections) are caused by your felines diet. Try feeding only wet food, and one that clearly says "grain and gluten free" on the front of the can. Canned has 75% water, whereas dry food contains only 4-6% water. As far as the grain and gluten free.... cats are not meant to consume this junk. And this is what most stores sell. PetCo has finally started carrying more and more of this type of food and I imagine others will soon follow. If there is not a store near you, try online at Petfooddirect.com, where they have a very wide selection. I have done A LOT of research on what to feed my cats, and grain and gluten free is so good for your pet in so many ways. Your cat will end up with a shinier coat, you will have less visits to the Vet, their poop won't stink, and your cat will live a longer, healthier life. Additionally, cats are carnivores. Their diet should consist of meat. If you want to spoil them with fish, feed no more than 1 X per week as a treat. And of course, it goes without saying to keep fresh water available at all times. I am not a Vet, nor am I affiliated in any way to any store. I merely have done my research and am a concerned pet lover. I hope this information helps.

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my posts disappear without reason, too. I don't know why. A cat with a URI requires a trip to the vet. The cat should be separated from other cats as well. Sometimes complications arise, so watch for signs that your cat is getting worse.

sooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, if a cat has a UTI, they should be seen by a Vet immediately as it is life threatening. My previous post was referring to how you can likely prevent URI's. Just thought I would clear that up. :)

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UTIs aren't usually life threatening, but the cat should be seen by a vet. The same goes for URIs. They should be separated from other cats in the household. Watch for complications. Any idea what is happening with the disappearing posts?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UTIs aren't usually life threatening, but the cat should be seen by a vet. The same goes for URIs. They should be separated from other cats in the household. Watch for complications. Any idea what is happening with the disappearing posts?
Are you really saying that a blocked male cat isn't life-threatening? This is usually lumped into "UTI" even though that is a complete misnomer. Sadly, we've seen far too many kitties die of lower urinary tract problems that weren't seen quickly enough by a vet. :(

Last edited:

sooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Again, I must agree that a UTI is DEFINITELY life threatening, and the concern is even greater in a male cat!! A cat WILL die within a few days if not treated immediately. As well, a URI (upper respiratory infection) is quite serious and very contagious. This infection only gets worse if left untreated, and sooner than later will lead to the cats death. And the longer you wait, the harder it is to cure it. PLEASE know what you are talking about before you give the wrong advise! I would hate to be your cat and get sick.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have seen MANY UTI's and URI's that have been life threatening, and unfortunately have seen many that have died from them. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Here is a good article on feline urinary tract health. from a vet's website.

I do think it really helped  a lot that I switched my cat to a wet diet that was high in animal protein,  low in carbohydrate,  which creates a mildly acidic urine that is what is normal for a cat.  so it makes it less likely for either kind of crystals.   and the increased amount of fluid helps keep the bladder flushed out and prevents things from clogging up.    

There have been studies that found that cats on a dry food diet got only up to half as much water as cats on wet food,  counting both the amount in the food and what they drank.  Cats descend from desert wildcats who developed to get their moisture from their food -- the bodies of prey.    For example a mouse is about 70% water.  similar to canned cat food.   Most dry is around 10% or less.     Cats tend to not have a big thirst drive,  so most of them do not drink enough to make up the difference.  Going around somewhat dehydrated can over time lead to problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

As for the neutering early, Moses was neutered at 5 months, and he still had a massive blockage so I'm inclined to say that age isn't a factor when it comes to neutering and blockages. I'm more inclined to just say that some cats have bad luck and some don't. My ex's parents have raised all of their cats on the cheapest grocery store brand cat food and their cats have lived for 20 years without any medical problems. I was feeding Moses cheap food when we first got him and that seems to be what caused his crystals. But at the same time, my other cats were also eating the cheap food and they were fine. I've now realized that the higher quality food is better for them for many reasons, but my point is just that some cats must be prone to it while other's aren't. Some cats live for 20 years on the cheapest food out there while other cats struggle to be healthy on the high quality stuff. Kind of like people I guess - some are prone to bad health while others can do everything wrong and live to be 100!

As for the signs to watch for, frequent urination in small amounts is what I always look for. When Moses came home from the vet after he went through this, I obsessively followed him around as much as I could. I would follow him to the litter box and just watch to make sure he was peeing correctly. The other poster is right that the SO food will cause him to pee more often, so that's ok. Just watch for the amount. Often is ok...often and very small amounts is not. BUT at the same time, keep in mind that he might still be sore too. Moses had some problems peeing when he first came home which made me panic, but he wasn't blocked again. He had had an infection along with being blocked and it took a while for the blood from his infection to completely clear out of his urine. He would squat to pee and then pee a lot - but he would stop and start. We figured out that it was just hurting him, it wasn't that he couldn't pee. He stopped acting like that after about 2 weeks. So that's something to keep in mind too. 
It just felt like something we did, since I honestly have never met a cat that had this happen before!  Like it was something totally new!  But I guess you are right about the luck - I just seem to have known all the lucky ones :eek:)

And I am trying to stop myself from obsessively following him.  I never paid that much attention to his litter habits before, so now I'm freaking cause I don't know if what he is doing now is normal!  Ahh...the things we drive ourselves nuts with!  He seems just peachy keen though - happy, lovey, and only occasional trips to the box.  He still makes a horrid mess with the litter - some things will never change!  Regardless, I'm kinda thinking that after about 2 weeks I can kind of let my breath out, right?  I know the risk for re-blocking is highest right after the event. 

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here is a good article on feline urinary tract health. from a vet's website.

I do think it really helped  a lot that I switched my cat to a wet diet that was high in animal protein,  low in carbohydrate,  which creates a mildly acidic urine that is what is normal for a cat.  so it makes it less likely for either kind of crystals.   and the increased amount of fluid helps keep the bladder flushed out and prevents things from clogging up.    

There have been studies that found that cats on a dry food diet got only up to half as much water as cats on wet food,  counting both the amount in the food and what they drank.  Cats descend from desert wildcats who developed to get their moisture from their food -- the bodies of prey.    For example a mouse is about 70% water.  similar to canned cat food.   Most dry is around 10% or less.     Cats tend to not have a big thirst drive,  so most of them do not drink enough to make up the difference.  Going around somewhat dehydrated can over time lead to problems.
I read that the night he blocked, but it was definitely a good time for a re-read now that I understand more of it.  She didn't focus much on the choices for wet food after the prescription is finished.  I don't mind going to wet long term - the specific feed times are actually really easy to handle here and the cats are loving it.  There just isn't much guidance on how to pick a good one.  I won't stray from the prescription for now, but the long term is sneaking up.  I don't know if I could/should get a script to continue the Royal Canin wet for life....

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

There is no reason that a cat with a UTI needs to be separated from other cats.  I also want to second what many have said- a UTI can, unfortunately, be life threatening if things go bad, especially in a male.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no reason that a cat with a UTI needs to be separated from other cats.  I also want to second what many have said- a UTI can, unfortunately, be life threatening if things go bad, especially in a male.  
Agreed and I'd like to add that the OP's cat suffered uroabdomen which can bring on a whole bunch more complications. Thankfully he's under veterinary care andthe OP is eager to learn how to best prevent this from happening again.

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I'm back :eek:(  Oliver had a very weird morning.  First off, my husband caught him peeing in the sink.  Which he has done from time to time since he was a kitten, so I wasn't super worried.  But then, when I came downstairs later, I picked him up, and he shook a bit and peed all over the front of me.  I watched him a little more, and he did pee again in the litter box.  So, I'm not sure if he is starting on the road to re-blocking, or what?  I called the vet when he opened, and he wasn't too overly worried.  It sounds more like he is having pain urinating then re-blocking, but we are taking him in for a check this afternoon to be sure.

Any ideas?  He's on amoxicillian for another week or so, could it be a UTI that is resistant to it or something?  Ugh.  Poor baby, I just have no idea!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Oliver and poor you! I'm glad you have an appointment, something certainly sounds off. It could be a number of things from a stubborn UTI, urinary stricture, crystals...please keep us updated and I'm sending many vibes your way!