Kitty Needs Food to Take Antibiotic, But Won't Eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to look at everything again tomorrow, I am a bit tired today from dealing with a family medical issue.

But, it would be very helpful if you could confirm if the only meds she is taking is Enalapril 2 X a day, an appetite stimulant (Mirataz or mirtazapine?), or are there others? And, what exactly is the name of the food that the vet wants her to eat? Also, is she eating anything else besides tuna, and is that human tuna in a can? And how is she doing otherwise?
Thank you. She is taking Enalapril 2X a day, at least what we can get in her, which is most of it I think. I thought Mirataz and Mirtazapine are the same thing? She's taking Mirataz in the purple box from a tube. She gets it on her ear once a day. She isn't taking any other meds. I mentioned the foods the vet wanted her to eat in earlier posts, but she won't eat them, so she's been eating some tuna for humans in the pouch with lower sodium and some of her own regular cat food, since that's what she'll eat. She's still not eating as much as we would like. We got her some other foods we're going to entice her with like lickable treats, shredded tuna cat food with better nutrition, etc.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty has been eating less and less last couple of days. We have been trying everything. I’m so drained trying to get her to eat. Only eating a little bit a day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At this juncture, I would suggest an anti-nausea med. The Mirataz (which is the same as mirtazapine, but in the transdermal form) has a bit of an anti-emetic property to it, but not enough for some cats. Also, clean her ears after a few applications of the Mirataz as it can build up a residue rendering subsequent applications less effective. All that is needed is a warm, moistened with water, makeup pad or something similar.

She may also need more sub-Q fluids. And, again, for now, feed her whatever she will eat. Were you ever able to get some baby food meat to see if she will eat that?

I still haven't re-looked at her blood test results, but I will. However, I just don't see anything terribly wrong with them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that. I think you will find ups and down regarding her eating and even her drinking, so don't get too upset unless the 'up' doesn't return within a day or so. I honestly think she had some version of acute kidney issue and from what I know that can take longer for her to 'recover'. I'll be curious to see what her next blood work looks like!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any updates? We are kind of going through the same with the antibiotic. The vet said baytril doesn't usually cause issues but he said to stop it and see what she does. Last dose was Monday night.. She ate a bit more today but slept easily for nearly 12 hours straight. It is the third antibiotic. She is 19 and needs two teeth extracted. I'm so upset and so scared. At what point do you just accept that she may not recover? We e been doing this since October. It's hard on her. It's hard on me emotionally and honestly, I can't afford many more options. I'm terrified.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty didn't end up take the antibiotic, but I hope you're able to get your cat to eat. Try anything that will get her to eat if she's not eating, even if it's tuna, baby food with no additives, etc. Try every food you can to tempt her to eat, anything that won't hurt her. My kitty is eating better gradually, but she has kidney disease. The appetite stimulant works well, mirataz, the kind you rub on the ears, so that is a temporary solution, but not long term. I do hope you can get your kitty to eating and feeling better.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We stopped the baytril for two days and she's scarfing down the food again. We start another antibiotic tomorrow. This is getting costly!! LOL. We did get the stimulate, too, in case she acts the same with this one. It's so scary seeing them not eating.:( It took Lucy two days off before she'd eat a normal amount again.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad kitty is eating. DO NOT have them give your cat the antibiotic shot Convenia then, because if she gets that, there is nothing you can do for several weeks to get it out of her system and she might starve herself. I'm not saying all cats react this way to Convenia, but my cat almost starved herself to death. We were talking about having to let her go the same day she started eating again. This was from a couple of years ago. Try another oral antibiotic, even if it is more a pain in the butt.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Jade: She's started eating her regular food more and getting more of an appetite, which is good, and we're getting her meds in her via the tuna most days. I do wash the mirataz off her ears every couple of days to increase the effects. We're trying to cut back to the tuna just being a few bites 2 X a day and then she's eating regular food other than that in decent quantities, if not what she was before. We were probably overfeeding her before anyway. I wish she would eat renal food, but we'll take that she's eating. She seems to be improving. Still in the appetite stimulant, so I'm asking doc today what we should do regarding that.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet wants to a recheck so I scheduled Wed, first day they are opened after Christmas. I don't like taking her to vet, though I know she needs another blood test because it stresses her out and they have to sedate her.

Aileen666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My kitty has a UTI (she has an inflamed bladder a few months ago and this comes up sometimes). She's 12 y/o female. We took her to the vet yesterday, and they gave her antibiotics. She is a very difficult kitty to pill, but I managed to get a pill in her last night after a fight "to the death." My husband says she threw up early this morning. I have tried to get her to eat more, but she's not had an appetite, and the clavamox can only be given with food. I was trying to coax her with food but she wouldn't eat it. Then, she threw up again, just bile. I can't give her the medicine if she won't eat, but she won't eat right now. Any suggestions on getting my kitty to feel better? She won't eat treats, etc., but does like drinking lots of water and I can't give her my undivided attention because my husband is at the doctor and I have to work (at home). At least I can keep and eye on her. My vet is only available on weekdays, which is why I'm asking here.
Best,
Rachel L.
Try the foods that are mostly broth but hsve some chicken or tuna with it. She might really like the broth and eat a little of that chicken . If that doesn’t work call the dr and tell him or her cat won’t eat. I am going through something similar right now where I have to call Dr Tuesday morning and get something for her bc she is vomiting her food and just today decided she doesn’t want to eat anything. I have read the Dr can give her a shot if the pill can’t be given to help nausea. Good luck !

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She won't eat broth like foods, but her app
Try the foods that are mostly broth but hsve some chicken or tuna with it. She might really like the broth and eat a little of that chicken . If that doesn’t work call the dr and tell him or her cat won’t eat. I am going through something similar right now where I have to call Dr Tuesday morning and get something for her bc she is vomiting her food and just today decided she doesn’t want to eat anything. I have read the Dr can give her a shot if the pill can’t be given to help nausea. Good luck !
She won't eat broth foods, but she's eating solid food better and some tuna. Thanks.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her numbers are good. Creatine little high but not bad. Trying to start cutting back on the appetite stimulant. Gonna try another kidney food next week.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good news! But, if Jade's numbers are pretty good, with only a slightly elevated creatinine, why try another kidney food right now? Personally, I'd give her a break and feed her what she will eat - let things settle down for a while.