Kitty Needs Food to Take Antibiotic, But Won't Eat

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At this point it is more important for her to eat something as opposed to eating the right thing. Your vet may want the urinary diet to dissolve the bladder stone.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The reason for the dermatologist is that they can find out what the environmental allergies are and come up with allergy injections you can give her and eventually eliminate the steroids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I’ll give it a look. I kind of had a meltdown today myself. She wants water. I have only gotten her to eat a couple of handfuls of food today. The only way we might be able to get the BP pill in her is through pull popper. I don’t want to give it to her on an empty stomach on op of forcing her. How am I going to do this twice a day. I have tried all the easier ways and it doesn't work. This is stress me out. We can’t keep on this path. Still trying. Tried to coax her to eat all day. Got her to eat a bit. This is taking its toll on me too.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I am kind of confused. Was she also diagnosed with urinary tract stones/crystals? That food you are trying to get her to eat is primarily used to help dissolve existing struvite crystals/stones and to reduce the chances of more stones forming (both struvite and oxalate stones). There are other foods that are more suited/specific to kidney care than that one - most are labeled as renal support or kidney care. I am not saying that Jade would like them any better but there are a ton of options out there for the purposes of kidney care that she might like.

I hope you can clarify with the vet why they recommended urinary support food and not renal/kidney care food.
She is getting renal support food. Sorry if I didn’t say that before.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It can definitely be very stressful. Is there anybody who can help you? A friend or a neighbor? When I was 18 I spent a year working for a vet. Sometimes it’s easier to treat the kitty or the pup when it’s not your personal pet.
Have they given your kitty the meds at the vet? Could you ask them to show you how they hold her and how they do it?

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on her symptoms and the article she seems to track more with KCD. She did go to the litterbox a lot in weeks leading to her issues. Thought it was bladder issues. She was initially misdiagnosed with a UTI by vet I didn’t like right before her episode.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

I admittedly haven't read the entire thread but I was wondering, can you handfeed her?
We have coaxed her to eat some of her dry food, but syringe feeding her is a lost cause.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty only ate three small handfuls of her regular food. So far, can't get her to eat much of anything today. May have to take her in tomorrow to get her kidney values again.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm coaxing her to eat several times a day. We are hand feeding her some (dry food, which is all she'll eat). She thrashes and fights to the death if we try to syringe feed her. We also gave her appetite stimulant each day. She is drinking plenty of water.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm doing the best I can with anxiety disorder. Yesterday I could barely function because of worrying for her and crying/trying to get her to eat. I'm not a great caretaker or nurse with animals or people. Trying to do the best I can without it destroying my health too. We're also navigating a diagnosis my husband got last week around the same time kitty went downhill. Doing the best I can while also working. Thank goodness I work at home. :(. The past couple of weeks have been overwhelming.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty won’t eat today. Still going to try to coax her. She is drinking water and responsive. Called vet. They said may need to come back in and test her kidney values again to see if values went back up. Then, don’t know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may need fluids again. But, definitely ask the vet for alternative ways to get the BP meds into her. Also, find out if she really needs them twice a day. My cat only gets her BP meds once a day. What BP med is she taking and how much? What was her blood pressure?

I don't recall what all you have tried to use to get her to take the meds. Did you try the baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut Stage 1)? Lickable treats? I know you said she doesn't like wet food, but the baby food meat and lickable treats are not the same thing. There are even broths or bisques that she might be willing to eat.

spgmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm doing the best I can with anxiety disorder. Yesterday I could barely function because of worrying for her and crying/trying to get her to eat. I'm not a great caretaker or nurse with animals or people. Trying to do the best I can without it destroying my health too. We're also navigating a diagnosis my husband got last week around the same time kitty went downhill. Doing the best I can while also working. Thank goodness I work at home. :(. The past couple of weeks have been overwhelming.
Hang in there. We are going through something similar trying to make our kitten eat for the last week, and know how frustrating it can get.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are having trouble getting her to eat, mixing any meds into the food may make that worse.
Syringe feeding cats just never goes well. It’s not just you. Please don’t do anything you have to fight with her about.
Do you think you could talk to your vet about having a tech come by and give her the medication? When I worked at a specialty hospital, I had several patients I would go to before work to medicate, and then after work as well. It’s a long shot, but you don’t know unless you ask.
It is hard when you have anxiety. Trust me I know. Sometimes it can help if you sort of detach yourself from the situation and just do it. If it doesn’t work, don’t try a second time. Make sure if you are going to do anything, you just go to wherever she is and do it. I often times see people make a big deal out of getting the cat and bringing them to a certain spot where they get their meds. Usually on a table. That gives the cat about a minute to stress and plot their escape. With cats, the element of surprise is the best way.
If you are unable to medicate her, let your vet know. It’s the vets job to help you get the required meds into your cat.

I am sorry you have all this goingnn B on and I hope your husband will be OK.