Kittens on the way - colors and preparation?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, okay, that makes sense.  Is that natural about 15-20 days before the "due-date"?  MY rough math has her delivering around the 25th of this month, give or take some days.

Thanks for the advice!  I can't stand to think she's uncomfortable, so I'm probably going to go grab some oil/balm as soon as I can.
Oh, yes! It's too early for milk to be coming in. Sarthur2 is correct.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a chance that we're a little wrong about how far along she is? She hasn't eaten for almost 24 hours, and I can easily see/feel the kittens moving around and kicking.. I'm getting a little worried

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch for her stomach to start rippling. That means she's in labor. Not to worry; when she's due, she's due.

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She finally ate a little, just not as much as she's been eating. She's slept in the box I set up for her for the first time today, I think we're closer to her due date then I thought

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The suspense is killing me.  Is there any way to tell when she might go into labor?  I can feel her kittens kicking as clearly as if I were holding them in my hand, and while her bottom four nipples look chapped from her licking them the top ones have dry, white flakes that I think could be her milk coming in.  Next Friday will make 9 weeks from the day we think she conceived...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can apply olive oil or Udder Balm to her chapped nipples.

If next Friday is 9 weeks, then she still has a week to 10 days left, give or take a day or two.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Milk can come in early. The strong movements make me believe she's got a bit of time left still. Average is 65 days, so she's not quite there yet. How's momma doing?

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's doing great! She's starting to slow down and sleep more, and it seems like her belly got bigger out of no where. I've dedicated my very empty closet (I have a large dresser so the closet is kind of just extra space) to her nursery area (I'm sure what else to call it other than a nursery, I'm sure there's a proper term when referring to cats). It seems like she kind of misses my other cat (the father of her kittens) sometimes but he likes to play rough so I'm trying to only let them be together when he's at his calmest, and he definitely won't be around her once she's given birth until after she's been spayed.

I do apologize for posting so much; as a first time grandmother I know I'm probably worrying about a whole lot of nothing. Thanks for being so patient with me, and for all of the advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Post as much as you like - that's what we're here for! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is momma lounging by my desk chair.  She has a hard time getting comfortable when she lays down now (probably because those little babies are moving around so much in there!).  I can feel movement on both sides of her tummy at pretty much any given moment.  Does that say anything about how many there may be?

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

And this is daddy, for those that might be curious.  As mentioned he's half Siamese/half Ragdoll.  I have to admit that while I know these kittens will be adorable no matter what, I'm kind of sad to hear that those beautiful features of his are recessive genes that probably won't show up in the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is absolutely no way to know how many there will be without an x-ray. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you feel it on both sides you've got at least 2, average litter is 4-5. Believe it or not she'll get bigger yet!

Dad is gorgeous. They'll not get his blue eyes or his pointed coat as tabby is dominant. They'll be cute little fur balls, I promise.

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I could have gotten an x-ray, but I feel like next Friday being day 63 I've pretty much reached the "wait-and-see" point.

And thank-you!  Daddy used to be a lot lighter, save for his ears.  He's really grown into a handsome cat.  He loves everything and everyone; me, my roommate, my guinea pigs, my boyfriend's puppy...  There's not a thing I've found yet that he won't cuddle up with!  I'm hoping that even if they don't get his colors the kittens get a lot of his personality.  Mommy has always been "my" cat.  She hides from every one except me, my roommate, and my boyfriend, but when it's just me and her she's the most loving animal I've ever seen.  (((Excuse my rambling, it's gotten to the point where my close friends have had all they can take of my cat-talk)))

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

And this is daddy, for those that might be curious.  As mentioned he's half Siamese/half Ragdoll.  I have to admit that while I know these kittens will be adorable no matter what, I'm kind of sad to hear that those beautiful features of his are recessive genes that probably won't show up in the kittens.
I wouldn't give up on the kittens being points just yet. Your momma could be a carrier of the point gene, who knows! Either way the kittens are guaranteed to be cute!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can still get an x-ray now if you really want one.

I had my pregnant stray x-rayed at what turned out to be about 12 days before she gave birth.

Scan showed 4 kittens. Vet said 7-10 days. 12 days later she had 4 kittens.

But, I had her done because I had no idea when she mated as she was a stray. I see no reason for you to get an x-ray at this point.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! Cat talk is what we are all about on TCS! [emoji]128077[/emoji]