Kittens on the way - colors and preparation?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you need to supplement all of them right away! Even if they won't take much at first, continue trying to give more at each feeding. You need to keep them going until they can eat on their own.

What does each kitten currently weigh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I would like to start by offering my apologies for the panic I was in yesterday.  Today when I was weighing them, I couldn't believe that one of them dropped below 200 grams--there was no way that a kitten that was walking around so strongly could have lost that much weight over night.  So I moved the scale.  Lo and behold, my mama cat has been stashing hair ties  beneath the scale.

I moved the scale and put my hair ties in a drawer where she couldn't reach them.  Weighed every kitten on a now-level surface to discover that they are all 416 g and above (14 ounces).  I have never been so happy about being wrong about something--I only wish I had noticed sooner.  Now I have an entire week of poorly-recorded weights that just hover in the mid-200s...

Needless to say, this is not the first time my cat has taken to hiding hair ties from me.  I once nearly had to buy a new printer because she had dropped two in the paper opening and they got stuck.

Sorry again for all the trouble, and thank-you all again for such quick and secure advice.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness!

Well, all's well that ends well. I'm just happy that the kittens are thriving. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the laugh!  My cats stash toys under furniture. I have to give your cat kudos for actually getting them under something as small as a scale and have it go unnoticed.

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm rather amazed myself. A printer is pretty big, but to stuff it under a scale? I don't understand at all lol.

I'm just relieved that they're doing so well. 14 ounces is great for 3 weeks from what I've read, and they've even started making expeditions out of the bathroom! :D

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let everyone know that the kittens' first vet appointment went without a hitch!  My sweet babies are all healthy and pudgy as can be (to the point where the vet was worried for a moment that they might have an ulcer 
).  It was also confirmed that I've got two girls and one boy--the girls being the white one and the darker tabby, and the gray and white being the little boy.

Now, if there's anyone still following this thread, I am struggling to name two of the little babies.  The white one has already been named by her future owner--Ciri, after a video game character.  It's a cute enough name for her, and now that they're seeing the vet regularly I figured it was time to start seriously thinking about giving them names, even if they're only temporary.

If anyone has any suggestions for the other two, I would be glad to hear them!  They don't have to follow any particular theme, but they will be living in the same house, so it could be cute for them to go well together.

Thanks again!  And I will gladly post more up-to-date pictures if needed.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let everyone know that the kittens' first vet appointment went without a hitch!  My sweet babies are all healthy and pudgy as can be (to the point where the vet was worried for a moment that they might have an ulcer :lol3: ).  It was also confirmed that I've got two girls and one boy--the girls being the white one and the darker tabby, and the gray and white being the little boy.

Now, if there's anyone still following this thread, I am struggling to name two of the little babies.  The white one has already been named by her future owner--Ciri, after a video game character.  It's a cute enough name for her, and now that they're seeing the vet regularly I figured it was time to start seriously thinking about giving them names, even if they're only temporary.

If anyone has any suggestions for the other two, I would be glad to hear them!  They don't have to follow any particular theme, but they will be living in the same house, so it could be cute for them to go well together.

Thanks again!  And I will gladly post more up-to-date pictures if needed.
sayuriel sayuriel

Could you post some pictures of them??? I'd love to see them :)

Did the white one end up looking like the dad??

Last edited:

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The white one is Ciri; the other two still don't have names. The gray and white one is the boy, and the darker tabby is the other girl.

I would like to add that they have already started eating wet food, and will soon be introduced to softened hard foods. They've grown so fast [emoji]128553[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are beautiful kittens! Do you plan to name the other two?

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep! I'm just having a hard time trying to think of names for them. At first I wanted to keep a similar theme, but Ciri fit the little white kitten so well I decided they should all have unique names. So I am currently open for suggestions if anyone has any :D

sayuriel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's cute 
 it took me a minute to realize which "slipper" you were talking about lol.

The little boy is now Sif; so we have Sif, Ciri, and the last little girl still needs a name...

Now, I've been giving them some wet food every day, but yesterday I realized that the two little girls are crunching on mom's dry kitten food without any problems at all.  They will be 6 weeks old tomorrow, and I'm beginning to wonder when mom will stop letting them nurse?  She doesn't seem to want to, but if they follow her around and cry enough she eventually gives in and lets them.  Is there anything I can do to help the process, or is it just a waiting game now? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will wean them when she is ready. They are young yet at 6 weeks to quit nursing. Some moms nurse for 12-16 weeks.

It's great if the kittens are beginning to eat both wet and dry food. They need wet meals 4 times a day, with dry food and nursing in between. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

axelsangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any new pics?...I love to see how the color point kittens change!!!! I had 4 in my litter and they all turned out different.