Kittens not growing

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think kittens grow length-ways in spurts going all skinny, and then fill in until the next lenght-ways spurt.  It's rather hard to measure that sort of growth though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she is growing, she was bigger than Penelope when I started this thread. Now Penelope is literally twice as big as her. Delilah is still really boney and I cant wait to get some meat on her. She has improved though, she had zero fat to the point that every bone was so easily felt that I was afraid to break her she was so skinny. The phrase "skin and bones" has never been so accurate as to describe her then, I don't think she even had much muscle mass to her, her legs felt like just bones too. I'm sure it is going to take time to get her to where she needs to be, but she is gradually gaining at least.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has had a very tough time, she has been very ill, and that will have drained her.  Hopefully if she starts eating normally she will catch up, at least to a good degree.

Her nose is looking much better in the later photos, she looks a lovely checky madam, everything is tightly crossed for her here.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still offering her food every few hours to allow her to get as much as she can. She only eats a little tiny bit at a time but I think it is adding up to a good bit. I cant be positive of exactly how much she is eating because Penelope typically cleans up whatever she doesn't eat. Even though she is boney she has quite the belly forming.

She is becoming quite the character too, she talks to me while sitting on my foot while I warm her food up when she is really hungry.

laying on her back is her favorite... showing off that belly, and her cute multicolored toes!

Best picture I could get of her nose. I wonder if it will always be missing part of that half, and if it will heal back black like it was?

Taking advantage of sleepy Delilah to show you how much bigger Penelope has become

It made Penelope sleepy too

lindz2785

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gahhhhh! So cute! How are you ever going to part with them after all the TLC you've done for them??

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! <3 How cute!
I know a cat with a nose that kind of looks like that, missing a bit and scarred. He showed up as a stray so nobody knows what happened to him but maybe his story is similar to Delilah's. He gets along fine
. Just has a funny nose
I think she will be just fine after it completely heals, as long as it stays open. Maybe he was bit by a spider too. I know a cat who either burnt his nose or was bit too, but his nose grew back and looked completely normal.
Gahhhhh! So cute! How are you ever going to part with them after all the TLC you've done for them??
I have decided to keep Delilah for various reasons. And I will probably keep Penelope too because they are like 2 peas in a pod, I would hate to separate them. I just cant decide if financially it will be smart. I have always made it work for my babies so I am sure I could make it work if I kept them both.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Delilah seems better every day now. I have an appointment at the vet on Wednesday just to be checked again and make sure everything is good. I think it will be the most positive vet visit she has ever had. I just changed their wet food to wellness with a/d mixed in. They are in love especially Delilah who is now eating more since the change. Hopefully I can really get her weight up now, and she can start catching up to her sister.

She is also playing more now. I took a short video, I was trying to get her to do her bouncing run she has started but she wasn't going for it.

I was bored and made tiny collars for the girls last night. I just cut the breakaway buckles off old beat up collars and replaced it with light cotton bands I made. All my cats wear collars just in case they ever get out. Not that I am worried they will get out, I just thought they would be cute.

Penelope's

Delilah's

And a bonus... Snuggle time

lindz2785

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I LOVED seeing the video of Delilah. She is just the sweetest! My favorite part is when she flopped over on her back. They look like grown up cats with their little collars on!

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 Damn they're cute!! It's a wonder we don't keep each and every one we rescue!

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you loved it, I love watching her. She loves to lay around on her back too. She sleeps on her back more often than not, it is so cute. She is actually currently laying on her back playing with a toy mouse I bought her today. They do look all grown up in their collars in those pictures, yet they still fit in one hand.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her nose is looking better and better and it sounds like she is doing really well.  We keep focusing on her nose, but how is her paw these days?  Healed?

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her nose is looking better and better and it sounds like she is doing really well.  We keep focusing on her nose, but how is her paw these days?  Healed?
Her paw never became anything more serious. The sore that was there cleared up. All the hair fell off of it but that was the extent of it all. All the swelling is gone. Now the hair looks like it is just starting to grow back, just a tiny bit of fuzzy starting.
Hard to see (only have my phone for pictures) but here is what it looks like now.

Last edited:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you thought the last video of Delilah playing was great, you will LOVE this one. Just a few days later and she has so much energy. I have been cracking up tonight just watching her and I know you would love to see.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In time after all the hair grows back her foot will be completely normal.
Her nose looks a little more open today so maybe it will keep opening as it heals.

I was thinking, the girls are about 12 weeks old now. There was a time at the vet when Delilah was getting better that she mentioned vaccinating them once they were doing much better. Delilah is doing the best she ever has and Penelope is thriving. Both are still small for their age though. I might be a little over protective but I was wondering what you all thought if the vet asked me if I wanted to vaccinate them at our appointment on Wednesday. I will talk it over with my vet too of course.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You seem to have a great vet.  I'd take their advice.  Discuss the pros & cons of killed and attenutated (think that's the right word) vaccines.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful she is doing so well. I would vaccinate, but only half a dose.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got home from the vet. I think Delilah is worn out from all the excitement. She is very well loved and get visits from everyone there. The vet thinks she looks great. We are going to wait 2 more weeks and talk about vaccines then. She wants Delilah at the pound and a half mark and thinks she should be there by then. She is separate from the rest of the cats so she is not at high risk.

Weights for both girls are:

Delilah- 15.5oz! we are almost to the 1lb mark

Penelope- 1lb 9.5 oz