Kittens Being Overfed

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three mother cats. One cat (Didymus) had two kittens that both died, one from FKS and one from deformities from a manx father. Another cat (Millie) refuses to feed her kittens anywhere other than my bed. She always brings them back. So..we share a bed. Millie has four kittens and since Didymus's kittens died, she'll feed Millie's kittens while Millie is away. I'm not sure if that's healthy for any of them, but I feel bad for Didy and I don't stop her from feeding them. Since both of them are feeding the kittens, I think they're being overfed. One of Millie's kittens suddenly got diarrhea. It's yellow and not like their normal brown. They're litterbox trained, but since he has diarrhea, he can't make it in time and now my bed is covered in foul smelling yellow diarrhea. So aside from trying my hardest to clean my bed, now I have to clean kittens. I put the mother cats outside and now the kittens are upset. What do I do?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not a veterinarian but a (human) nutritionist told me that the common wisdom is that you cannot overfeed a baby and their calories should never be restricted. I imagine it’s the same for kittens.

I don’t think the diarrhea is related to amounts fed. It’s more likely caused by a parasitic or microbial infection. You don’t say how old your kittens are, but diarrhea can kill a baby in hours. Your kitten needs to be evaluated by a vet. Bring a sample of his stool to the visit (put it in a baggie, then a second baggie, and refrigerate until the vet visit.)

I know how trying a smelly mess can be. Last night I found out at three in the morning that my Frangi, who is being treated for lymphoma, had pooped on a chair and then lay back down in the sticky soft poop. So I had to clean her and the chair up and got scratched to boot. Just take a deep breath and remember that this, too, shall pass.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's about six or seven weeks old. In addition to the yellow diarrhea, he has started to vomit as well. I haven't actually seen any of his vomit, but he did gag. It is possibly parasites. I used to worm my cats regularly, but then they had kittens and those kittens had kittens and it got out of hand. It's too expensive to worm all of them.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The kittens can't be overfed at this time. If he is having problems is it realted to something else. Worms are a possibility since it is fairly common but it could be something else as well. A vet would be able to tell you what is going on a perscribe the correct medication to help with it.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to worm my cats regularly, but then they had kittens and those kittens had kittens and it got out of hand. It's too expensive to worm all of them.
Sounds like it might have been cheaper in the end to have had the cats spayed/neutered. :) I would try to worm everyone now. And if the kitten with diarrhea keeps vomiting, he needs to get to a vet ASAP, since now he has no way to make up the fluid and electrolyte deficit he has from the diarrhea.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens can't be overfed at this time. If he is having problems is it realted to something else. Worms are a possibility since it is fairly common but it could be something else as well. A vet would be able to tell you what is going on a perscribe the correct medication to help with it.
I made a post a few days ago about my cat Lil' Dude with the deformities that I had to put down. You replied to me on that, so..same situation, financially. It was actually $88 to have him put down and I only had $75 on me at the moment. I think they're pretty annoyed with me about that already. And now, I only have $16. I am b.r.o.k.e. I *really* can not take a cat to the vet now. I don't want to lose any more kittens but I absolutely cannot afford this.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry to hear that you're in this situation Lil Dude Lil Dude It must be really heart breaking to see sick kittens and not be able to afford vet.

How many cats and kittens do you have altogether?

Could you ask a rescue or shelter to step in and help you? You might have to surrender some of the kittens, but better to do this now before more kittens are born and things get totally out of hand.

If you let us know which city/state you are in we can help you find a shelter. You're in Georgia, is that right?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that you're in this situation Lil Dude Lil Dude It must be really heart breaking to see sick kittens and not be able to afford vet.

How many cats and kittens do you have altogether?

Could you ask a rescue or shelter to step in and help you? You might have to surrender some of the kittens, but better to do this now before more kittens are born and things get totally out of hand.

If you let us know which city/state you are in we can help you find a shelter. You're in Georgia, is that right?
I have seven tamed kittens. And about..fifteen adult cats? I'm an eighteen year old cat lady and I need help but I'm attached to all of them. I live in Nashville, Georgia. Our Humaine Society here is (excuse the language) absolute shit, and I don't want them to have any of my cats in their care.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've got 22 adult cats. Mainly former feral cats, all spayed and neutered now. I know how easy it is to fall in love with them, but it will destroy you to have to watch them try and survive, have litter after litter of kittens that usually die, deal with complaints from neighbors who see cats as vermin that should be destroyed, etc, etc.

The best thing to do is get involved with a TNR group who can help you get all the cats fixed and the younger ones into good homes. Then you can focus on keeping the adult cats as healthy and well fed as possible.

My cats are all the ones that were too wild to rehome. The cute kittens went to new families, but the relationship I have with the remaining former feral cats is really special.

This is what I found in your area. It's worth calling all of them just to get some advice. Even if they can't help they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

Animal Rescue | Valdosta, GA

Meow or Never – Atlanta cat rescue focusing on TNR (trap-neuter-return) and owned pet spay/neuter assistance

Friends of the City of Nashville GA Animal Shelter

Is this the Human Society you meant?

Adoption | GA 31639 | Berrien County Humane Society, Inc.

She's not in your area, but maybe Jcatbird Jcatbird can offer you some moral support. She's been doing a wonderful job getting her colony fixed and into good homes. Around 100 cats and kittens, I believe.

Hang in there Lil Dude Lil Dude It seems overwhelming now, but it's not impossible. We're here for you.

:hangin:

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got 22 adult cats. Mainly former feral cats, all spayed and neutered now. I know how easy it is to fall in love with them, but it will destroy you to have to watch them try and survive, have litter after litter of kittens that usually die, deal with complaints from neighbors who see cats as vermin that should be destroyed, etc, etc.

The best thing to do is get involved with a TNR group who can help you get all the cats fixed and the younger ones into good homes. Then you can focus on keeping the adult cats as healthy and well fed as possible.

My cats are all the ones that were too wild to rehome. The cute kittens went to new families, but the relationship I have with the remaining former feral cats is really special.

This is what I found in your area. It's worth calling all of them just to get some advice. Even if they can't help they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

Animal Rescue | Valdosta, GA

Meow or Never – Atlanta cat rescue focusing on TNR (trap-neuter-return) and owned pet spay/neuter assistance

Friends of the City of Nashville GA Animal Shelter

Is this the Human Society you meant?

Adoption | GA 31639 | Berrien County Humane Society, Inc.

She's not in your area, but maybe Jcatbird Jcatbird can offer you some moral support. She's been doing a wonderful job getting her colony fixed and into good homes. Around 100 cats and kittens, I believe.

Hang in there Lil Dude Lil Dude It seems overwhelming now, but it's not impossible. We're here for you.

:hangin:
It all started from two cats. My older sister raised them with me, but then she moved out and left me with them all. I'll try and find a place for them, a good place for them. I know I can't take care of them all. And I can't take them all when it's time for me to move out. I'll give the ones who aren't spayed or neutered to good homes and keep the ones that are. Thank you for your help. And for the motivation.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:@Lil Dude There is help! We just have to get the connections going. Don’t feel hopeless. It isn’t hopeless. I have been in that position but thankfully I hung in there because it all started working once I did the research. I will do all I can to help you. Can you let me know who you have already contacted? You can PM me if you like. I will get to looking in your area tomorrow. Hang in there with me. You are not that far from me. I know we live in a difficult place to get help but it is there. Have you called any pet supply companies? Look on the packages of the food, litter etc. anything you use and you will see a phone number. Call them and tell them how desperate your rescue attempt is. They often provide help in many ways. One way is coupons for free food and supplies and discounted things. Some alsonprovide county grants to get free Spay and neutering services. Can you travel to Savannah with cats? There is a device there that can Spay, neuter, give all immunizations worming etc. for super cheap. Also ask your contacts about “Barn Cat” programs. They provide spay/neuter and rabies for free. If the county does not have that program you may be able to help them get it. Tell me exactly what you need, how many and what you can or cannot do. We will go from there. Helping these cats is a fantastic thing. You are doing great! Don’t get down or give up. People care and will help you. I am so glad you came to thecatsite. Good move right off!
Norachan Norachan Thank you for giving me the chance to offer support here. I will work to help. We are so close in proximity there is a chance that some of my connections may be able to help Lil Dude Lil Dude ! Hold on Lil Dude! :alright: :rock:

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Worse case scenario if you cant take the kitten to the vet relinquish it to a Local shelter tell them your situation. if the kitten is able to be saved they are going to do it. Do your research first though. We have a great one here in Sacramento that is our local municipal and its SUPER adamant about being no kill. They will do everything possible before putting down an animal and i believe as of right now they are under the 10% kill rate. So there are ways!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all started from two cats. My older sister raised them with me, but then she moved out and left me with them all. I'll try and find a place for them, a good place for them. I know I can't take care of them all. And I can't take them all when it's time for me to move out. I'll give the ones who aren't spayed or neutered to good homes and keep the ones that are. Thank you for your help. And for the motivation.
Just a thought...
there are idiots out there that get free kittens to let their dogs torture and kill for their own amusement.
I am in no way trying to scare you but sometimes putting a meager price tag of $25 on a kitten weeds out the trash.
Unless you knew the person (personally, before hand) and were happy with them taking a kitten, I wouldn't offer them for free just yet.
If the potential adopter comes by to see the kittens and your gut instinct tells you they're decent people, you can just tell them to put the cash away and the kitten is theirs. =)

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a thought...
there are idiots out there that get free kittens to let their dogs torture and kill for their own amusement.
I am in no way trying to scare you but sometimes putting a meager price tag of $25 on a kitten weeds out the trash.
Unless you knew the person (personally, before hand) and were happy with them taking a kitten, I wouldn't offer them for free just yet.
If the potential adopter comes by to see the kittens and your gut instinct tells you they're decent people, you can just tell them to put the cash away and the kitten is theirs. =)
I can't give kittens away for free. Who would buy one from me? That's why I have kittens now. Nobody would take the last litter and they had babies. I would never hand a kitten over to just anyone though. I know that I can't even trust my parents with them, I definitely wouldn't trust a stranger.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ladysnuggable Ladysnuggable Sounds like you live in a great place when it comes to animal shelters! If we all keep working towards helping the way Lil Dude is doing then maybe we will all reach no kill. I hope our state gets as good as yours very soon! I am very glad you suggested doing the research. Very important message. 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 makes a good point as well. Sad but true. Thecatsite has good info on protecting kitties when you adopt them out.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't give kittens away for free. Who would buy one from me? That's why I have kittens now. Nobody would take the last litter and they had babies. I would never hand a kitten over to just anyone though. I know that I can't even trust my parents with them, I definitely wouldn't trust a stranger.
Don’t give them away without checking folks out. Once you have contacts established kitties should begin to find loving homes. I went through the exact same thing but I started out near 100 cats and am down to 18. ( still need to catch a few newer additions) All who adopted were screened for safety and I have actually turned people down! When I started I never imagined turning people down. It turned out to be a very good thing. I even gave away kitties I wanted to keep because I knew the homes they were getting would be able to provide even more attention and resources for them than I could. I really believe we can get you there. Keep posting and let me know if you need more info. I’ll check back on your thread as well. Just hang on a bit longer. :hangin: I will try to send good adoption vibes your way! :vibes::catlove:

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don’t give them away without checking folks out. Once you have contacts established kitties should begin to find loving homes. I went through the exact same thing but I started out near 100 cats and am down to 18. ( still need to catch a few newer additions) All who adopted were screened for safety and I have actually turned people down! When I started I never imagined turning people down. It turned out to be a very good thing. I even gave away kitties I wanted to keep because I knew the homes they were getting would be able to provide even more attention and resources for them than I could. I really believe we can get you there. Keep posting and let me know if you need more info. I’ll check back on your thread as well. Just hang on a bit longer. :hangin: I will try to send good adoption vibes your way! :vibes::catlove:
Thank you! You mentioned earlier finding numbers on products for help. Could you elaborate on that, because I don't quite understand it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ Lil Dude I just got off the phone with a wonderful lady at the Berrien County Humane Society. Sometimes you just have to get the right person. They may have grant money available in four weeks for spay/neuter, However, she hooked me up with some other resources that may be faster. Going to PM you with more info.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the moms still nursing the kittens? How is everyone doing?

The foul smelling, yellow diarrhea is from coccidia, which is caused by parasites.

The cure is a round of the antibiotic known as Albon.

It sounds like you’ve received some excellent advice and referrals already.

Please give us an update when you can!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise