Kitten with breathing issues please help

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this is the wrong place or site for this kind of stuff but I had a hard time finding good answers online.

We have a kitten that is I think about 6 weeks maybe 8 weeks I'm unsure who is having breathing trouble. My grandmother has it on a antibiotic but is there anything more we can do for it? We can not get to a vet since we are flooded in where we live. I have a generic inhaler would that work on the kitten or would that be harmful to it? Also my grandmother plans to release it in a few days back by where she found it, is there anyway to increase the chances of it's mother taking it back? It seems confused when eating food but managed to eat wet food and  I am worried that it won't survive without the mother taking care of it. This whole thing is a very strange situation and we can not keep the cat my grandmother already has a very large number of cats despite me being quite allergenic to them and I do not think she plans on trying to find this one a home which isn't very surprising to me. But anyway if any of you can help with my questions I would very much be grateful and I'm sure the little one would be as well. Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your trouble and just wanted to let you know I'll be praying for that sweet kitten to survive. It could be a viral infection so the antibiotic will do little good, but the antibiotic would help with any secondary infections that could crop up. Is the kitten getting plenty of water and food, and being kept warm? You could call a vet and get some advise, they surely will help you over the phone, if not call another. The internet can be helpful, but it can also be dangerous, and usually just scares you with all the diagnoses it gives, most not with the best outcome. I've seen cats recover from illnesses that were horrible, so just make sure that kitten is eating and drinking and is using the litterbox. Love and comfort is the most needed right now, and if mama would take over the care that would be wonderful, but she may reject a sick baby too, so you would have to be certain. I pray you have good luck, keep us posted and you may want to research this site for more info under pregnant cats and kitten care. Good luck! 

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the breathing problems are caused by wheezing or congestion- try running a warm shower and bringing the little one in the bathroom with the steam- might help some.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, steam is a good idea. I would not recommend an inhaler for a kitten.

Releasing this kitten back where it was found is not a good idea. The kitten will probably starve to death if so. She is too young to fend for herself, and the mama kitty is likely long gone.

You should consider keeping her as your pet, or finding her a good home with a friend who will love her and give her proper care. At the very least, taking her to a no-kill shelter would be the humane thing to do.

I hope your kitten improves. Please keep us updated. :)

C crain

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Releasing this kitten back where it was found is not a good idea. The kitten will probably starve to death if so. She is too young to fend for herself, and the mama kitty is likely long gone.

You should consider keeping her as your pet, or finding her a good home with a friend who will love her and give her proper care. At the very least, taking her to a no-kill shelter would be the humane thing to do.

I hope your kitten improves. Please keep us updated.

@Crain
 There's no way such a young kitten will survive on her own. Feral kittens stay with their mothers until they are at least 4 months old and usually longer. If you can't re-home her yourself then take her to a shelter. It's much kinder then putting her back outside when she's so small and helpless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, steam is a good idea. I would not recommend an inhaler for a kitten.

I hope your kitten improves. Please keep us updated.

@Crain
Thank you to all the posts I will try steam then. His breathing seemed to have calmed down some from last night but it is still a weird wheezing sound I'll try steam.

Unfortunately I am unsure if any of that is an option the first most certainly is not my grandmother has far too many that she can not handle already and as I have said we are flooded in so I am unsure about a shelter. I will attempt to speak to her again about it but considering how I often tell her to stop bringing new animals in the house I do not think she will listen, but I will try.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, keep up with the antibiotics and feeding her well.

I'm sorry to hear you are flooded in. Please keep the kitten long enough to find a home for her or to locate a shelter. It would be cruel to just drop her somewhere.

Your efforts are appreciated. I know you are trying.

We're here if you need us. :)

Last edited:

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just talked to my grandmother a few minutes ago I'm not sure about the home situation but I did inform her about being advised against re-releasing the kitten and if i understood correctly she means to hold onto it a little bit longer to get it (we think its a little boy but aren't sure we haven't checked that yet) to the vet at the least but I do not know if the vet also takes in strays I know her old one used too but I don't know about the new one.  Now I'm going to attempt to get a quick nap I couldn't bring myself to sneak away while the little one was sleeping last night so ended up sleeping on the floor in order to try and calm him down and make him feel less afraid. Thank you again for the help all of you. I will keep you informed about the kitten.

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on the kitten, he (I did check it is a little boy) is still having trouble understanding to drink water but he is eating the wet food much better though we still need to remind him its a thing he can eat. The raspyness is still there but he sounds a lot better than he did last night. Gonna run a few names for him by my grandma since it seems or at least feels like its easier to get a kitten a home if it has a cute placeholder name. He's mainly whit with orange spots on him mainly on the face and tail, thinking of going with Milo but gran has to approve of it first since she's the one who insists on finding homes for the cats when she feels like it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of him?

I'm glad to hear he is getting better with all the love and care he is getting!

Is he still on the antibiotic?

Thanks for the update! :)

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I had a way to take a picture of him I would I can try the camera on my computer but its a little messed up but I'll try to get one when he's calmed down. He's been very playful today thankfully.

Yes he is still on the antibiotic my grandmother is staying on top of it.

Though I just found out she's been letting it outside so I'm slightly worried about that mostly worried it'll run off or sneak out.

Again I'll try to get a picture of him later today or tonight whichever helps the picture come out a bit better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay - no worries on the picture if it doesn't work out.

At seven weeks old and especially being sick, he does not need to be outside at all!

Can you keep him in the house? He may very well get lost! And he will stay much healthier inside.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dreamsicle would be a cute name.  they are vanilla ice cream bars w/ orange popsicle coating.  Your Gramma should remember those.

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ran the name by her just now she wasn't to thrilled with it mostly says she wouldn't be able to remember it. Her sister suggested Louie and she seems fond of that name though is still against giving him a name at all. Soon as I can figure out how to work this camera I've never used I'll post up a picture of him, hopefully I can get him to settle down long enough for a good shot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you keep the kitten indoors instead of letting him outside?

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny that you mention that I was just about to post up a question regarding that actually, seems the little guy will only go to the bathroom outside. We've put him in a litter box to show him where it is but he won't go to the bathroom so far unless he's outside, unless he's leaving surprises under the bed. We've never gotten a cat that didn't know how to use a box so do I just keep putting him in the litter box to get him used to it or is there other things I need to do? As for keeping him inside that is possible but considering where we live chances of finding a home for him where he is strictly an indoor cat is rather slim, its a rural area where most people have outside pets or outside/inside pets, very few have just indoor pets. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put dirt in the litter box?  is that what he goes in outside?  He shouldn't be out now because of his size.  Most kittens would still be with their mother and be hidden and watched out for.  He needs to grow some before he should be on his own.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, keep putting him in the litter box. He will eventually learn.

He is too young and clueless to be outside, not to mention he is still getting well! You don't want him getting lost!

I think you may have missed my earlier post above about it. :)

crain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try both of those things and see if they work.

As for putting him outside we aren't leaving him there and walking away we stay very close by him and keep him in a certain section of the yard, its something gran started to do today but it does seem to make the baby very happy. I'm assuming she's more comfortable putting him out with her since he is too little and slow to really run off and get away from her than an older kitten would but I am unsure since I'm merely guessing.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Try putting some of the dirt from outside in his litter box. If he can smell his own pee there he will understand what he is supposed to do.

I'd really recommend keeping him inside until he is older. He hasn't been vaccinated and so he could pick something up from the grass or the earth. He's also likely to get worms if he's outside and little kittens don't cope with these as well as adult cats do.

I love the name Louie.