Kitten throwing up after eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten chow is done and out.

We are trying her fancy feast classics pâté now both kitten type and regular. And leaving out purina one smart blend wet food for a couple days.

I hate not giving her kitten wet fod all the time but I guess adult wet food is ok for a almost 7 month old cat.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never once gave my two cats kitten food. Not once. The minute they stepped into this house at 4 months old, they both got adult, grain free, high quality wet food. I know you can't afford the high quality stuff but it's a myth that pet food has to be in life stages. Get rid of the kitten food, get rid of that Purina one and just stick with the FF classics and make sure NO gluten in it. And don't feed twice a day, feed more often than that. That's old school. Most vets recommend smaller more frequent meals. 

wilson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm not saying she drinks a lot.....my thought she might have drank a bunch because the throw up was watery.
No, we live in far western aryland in the country. We have a wal Mart and a local grocery store.
How do I know if they don't contain gluten?
Where do I get the coconut oil? I have a natural laxatone type......no malt to sugar stuff.
I have some cans of fancy feast classic pate. I'll have to use them until I can find something else.
This is the coconut oil I use, you can use it too, great for skin, hair, etc...

http://well.ca/products/nutiva-organic-virgin-coconut-oil_20598.html

should be able to get it at Walmart, or health store, or grocery store

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert, but think I can help a little bit.
I guess I should take her to the vet. But if something was really wrong with her wouldn't she throw up all the time? And wouldn't she show other signs? She hates the vet, the carrier etc.
Not necessarily. Often not all symptoms occur right away and it can be months or years before other signs of disease become obvious. Also, she can be hiding pain because cats are good at that.
He mentioned eating too fast can do it. Well goodness how do you stop a cat from eating too fast?
That makes more sense than anything else. Slowing down her eating is as easy as buying a special stainless steel bowl on Amazon. There are three styles to choose from.
Can drinking lots of water cause her to throw up? Her throw up looked so watery.
That is like saying drinking a lot of water causes diarrhea. There just happens to be a lot of water in her vomit.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

Mesha has eaten 3 meals of fancy feast...2 kitten kind and 1 classic adult. No throwing up but who knows what the future entails.

I guess I worry too much.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just take it a meal at a time. I know that Purina makes FF but I swear there is something wrong with that Purina One Blend. I KNOW that's what set off my Alex's IBD when she had her first severe attack. I even fed her the gluten free FF when she was very sick and it never affected her as bad as that did. 

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ibd? What is that?

Glutton free ff? Is that the classics?

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes but not all the classics are gluten free so you have to check the label. IBD is inflammatory bowel disease. 

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And I'm looking for "gluten" word correct?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I was under the impression that all the Classics are grain-free (and thus gluten-free). But, admittedly, I haven't read the ingredients on every single flavor. But, yes, it would say "wheat gluten" if it had any.

The FF Kitten food has milk in it. . .I've never considered this a problem, and the lactose is probably cooked out, but if her tummy troubles continue you might want to cut out the Kitten kind and just stick with Classics. She's old enough now that it shouldn't hurt for her to have adult food.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes there are only a few and I can't remember which ones but a few do have gluten in it. It's deceiving that's why I say read the cans. 

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I'm looking for "gluten" word correct?
Gluten, grain, corn, soy, and wheat are all bad for cats, so you should for the absence of those words.

I asked my vet, "How do I know which canned foods don't have wheat gluten?" when she first told me to start feeding wet food because of the melamine poisoning that year, which was on that ingredient. She named three: Fancy Feast Classics, Wellness, and California Natural.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to get rid of the kitten canned food.

I just looked on a ff classic can and none of those are listed.

Thank you all.

I just got the dish elevated. I found a " lock n lock " glass bowl to elevate her dish. I hope it helps. She looks so uncomfortable slouched over.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina One has a history of causing issues (see this TCS Thread), so I'm glad you stopped feeding it. And kibble is a total digestive-system wrecker, so it's awesome you've set that aside, too!

One reason kittens eat fast is because they're always hungry, like kids... one way to fix that is to increase (not decrease!) the number of feedings. If you can, I'd bump your baby from three to four a day and offer her ~ 3 ounces (half a 6 ounce can) at each meal (kittens can eat up to twice as much as adult cats!). If, after a few meals, you see she's not eating all of that, just cut it back a bit until she is. Let her decide how much she wants.

Throwing up regularly isn't something you should see, and it is almost invariably caused by ingredients that a cat shouldn't be eating. Dosing with some type of oil or other remedy might cover up the symptoms but it won't, unfortunately, address the problem. (When hairballs are more than just hairballs.)

Have faith, hun! You're well on your way to finding a healthy food that keeps your kitten's digestive system working like it should.

AC

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have kids and when a little something goes wrong with this angel, I panic. I just never know when something is wrong that I should bring her to the vet.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have kids and when a little something goes wrong with this angel, I panic. I just never know when something is wrong that I should bring her to the vet.
Being a meowmy is not as easy as many people think. <<<hugs>>>
You're taking all the right steps, so, if you can, try not to worry quite so much.
You want to enjoy your kitten while she still is a kitten, right?

AC

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
True. She will be 7 months old on aug 6.