Kitten throwing up after eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, but my husband wants to see how she is tomorrow.

She doesnt do it after all meals and she doesn't do it everyday.

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try a teaspoon of food once per hour during daylight hours and see if she vomits it up.

Jack has a long narrow esophagus and will dependably vomit a meal of more than a few tablespoons (he is an adult cat) and dependably keep a meal of one tablespoon down. He is thriving and active, but being fed hourly throughout the day by a dispensing machine.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We feed her today and she is ok.

I really think she eats too fast sometimes. And I know when she threw up last night she was running and playing hard so I think it contributed to it.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my little angel went over a week without throwing her food back up.  I just don't get it. 

I looked at what she threw up and I see some hair but not a lot. It doesn't look like a hairball. Most of it is the food.  I feed her about 1 tablespoon or so about 3-4 times a day of wet food.  I do put a little dry on it to get her to eat it.

I have not switched over to the non grain food yet.  I know I know.  I'm afraid to switch her over.  Why I don't know. 

I guess I should take her to the vet. But if something was really wrong with her wouldn't she throw up all the time?  And wouldn't she show other signs? She hates the vet, the carrier etc. 

This is exactly why I didn't want to get an animal.  You get attached to them and then they get sick.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iguess it will be a visit to the vet this week. She threw up her food again.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has told me that some cats are just barfy and it's nothing to worry about, as long as it's not every day. I dunno. . .I think it's a reaction to the food. My cousin has a cat who used to barf all the time, but now that she switched him to all canned food he hardly ever barfs. But just warning you that the vet may not be overly concerned :).

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Throwing up this often for a kitty is not normal. I really do suggest going to the vet. Is she throwing up only food or is there hair in there? Is there any bile in it?

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet, the one on call caled back.

He thinks it could be a hair problem? I give her laxatone a coulpe times a week. There are no hairballs in it.....some hair but nota lot.

He mentioned worms.....but she was dewormed and is an inside cat.

He mentioned eating too fast can do it. Well goodness how do you stop a cat from eating too fast?

And he also mention eating too much. He said to only feed her twice a day. I don't think that's good. We feed her now abou 3 times a day about 6 hours apart. We give her about 1/3 of the can. We did stop putting dry on top.

If I switch to better canned food, is there a chance of her getting diarrhea or throwing up more? That is my worry about changing to grain free. I have been feeding her fancy feast kitten and purina one smart blend. I believe she has thrown up all th purina one kind. I know I should change her but it is expensive and my husband just got laid off. I have fancy feast classic pate. Maybe she is becoming ntolerable of purina kind.

I just feel if the food we are giving her is no good then wouldn't she throw up all meals and not just a select few?

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can drinking lots of water cause her to throw up? Her throw up looked so watery.

I just don't understand if she is sick, wouldn't she throw up each meal or all the time?

wilson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can drinking lots of water cause her to throw up? Her throw up looked so watery.
I just don't understand if she is sick, wouldn't she throw up each meal or all the time?
No drinking too much water will not make your cat  throw up. What concerns me is that your cat is drinking a lot of water, this is not natural, especially if you only feed wet food.

Sorry about your husband getting laid off, times sure are tough these days.  Do you have a Trader Joes in your area? they sell a pretty good canned food there. Also I would do anything to get your cat off the Purina one. You could try even canned Friskies the ones that do not contain gluten. Or if you have a petsmart there is the Solistic brand.  It could be hairballs, or it can be the food, so I would eliminate that food first. For the hairballs I would not give the laxatone, but you could give a little Organic extra virgin coconut oil, just let your cat lick it off your finger.  Also you can try raising your cats dish, say a thick phone book height just to start. I made my own out of wood.  Since your kitty is 5 months old feeding 3 times a day is good.  If you switch foods your kitty may get diahrea, but it will go away eventually. When I switched my cats to a higher protein diet it only took them a few days to adjust.   There is a product you can get that will help your kittys tummy, and help transitioning to other foods, it is by Eagle Pack. If your interested in this let me know, and let us know how things go. 

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I'm not saying she drinks a lot.....my thought she might have drank a bunch because the throw up was watery.

No, we live in far western aryland in the country. We have a wal Mart and a local grocery store.

How do I know if they don't contain gluten?

Where do I get the coconut oil? I have a natural laxatone type......no malt to sugar stuff.

I have some cans of fancy feast classic pate. I'll have to use them until I can find something else.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about some of the suggestions here. . .Purina ONE canned food is better than Friskies, and looks about as good as Fancy Feast Classics. Comparing the ingredients, I did see that it has corn oil in it--it's the only thing different from FF. Maybe that's what's upsetting her tummy. Try cutting out the Purina ONE and stick with Fancy Feast Classics or Kitten and see if that helps. But don't be afraid to try other brands, too---most cats don't have any trouble with switching canned food brands. And even if she throws up, well, not much difference there! :tongue2:

When it comes to saving money on canned cat food, buying larger cans is the key. Buying those bitty 3-oz cans is expensive! You pay for the convenience. To compare, 13 ounces of Fancy Feast would cost about $2.86. I think you can get a 13-oz can of Wellness or EVO for less than that. And 5.5 ounces of Fancy Feast would cost about $1.21. You can get a lot of brands for less than that. And if you need to feed Friskies because money is tight, well, no shame in that. Just stick with the paté types, not shredded or "filet".

Last edited:

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
Well I'm not saying she drinks a lot.....my thought she might have drank a bunch because the throw up was watery.
No, we live in far western aryland in the country. We have a wal Mart and a local grocery store.
How do I know if they don't contain gluten?
Where do I get the coconut oil? I have a natural laxatone type......no malt to sugar stuff.
I have some cans of fancy feast classic pate. I'll have to use them until I can find something else.
read the ingredients on the can

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dumb question huh......thought maybe it was hidden under another name. Thanks.

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dumb question huh......thought maybe it was hidden under another name. Thanks.
No dumb questions here :) I'm new here too and still completely clueless when it comes to a lot of things. It's just very sweet of you to be trying to be the best mama to your kitten that you can :)

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the problem is eating too fast, buy a stainless steel slow-feeder bowl. Amazon sells them.

Whether food is the cause or not, you need to change her diet to only grain-free cans. Weruva does not have enough calories for kittens, but I would recommend it for an older cat. Buy a bunch of different cans to figure out what she likes that has no grains or fish.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats have a reaction to corn, wheat, etc.  Try a grain free, mixed in with what you are feeding, slowly removing the grain containing food.

I had a cat who occasionally vomited her dry Iams food the entire 14 years she was with us.  I never knew to try grain free.  My two cats now do not have vomiting issues and only eat grain free wet, some dry.  No vomit issues unless I feed beef.  I think the beef version of NV is too dry, so adding water to it usually eliminates the vomiting.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except for the corn oil (does a grain oil count as grain?) In the Purina ONE, all the foods she's been feeding ARE grain free! I agree that FF isn't top-quality, but it's not terrible either, and the paté/classic foods are grain-free.

I want to hear how she does in the next few days now that the dry food has been eliminated. I think that should help once she gets used to it. Kitten Chow is very grain-heavy and could have been the problem.