kitten stomach getting bigger,

Status
Not open for further replies.

shell1007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is roughly 5 months old, I have taken her to the vets because her stomach is getting bigger, she looks pregnant. I know she can't be because she doesn't go outside. What else could it be???? Very worried. She has another app with vets on Thursday for an x ray

burkey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has her stool been tested for parasites? Many kittens have them, at some point or another. It's extremely common...normal, really. Untreated intestinal parasites can definitely cause a big distended tummy. So get her poop checked ASAP, if it hasn't been done already.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the parasite check.  If you can, get her in tomorrow.  If not, ask if you can bring in a stool sample for them to test.  Has she been treated for worms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shell1007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she hasn't been tested yet. She was given half a worm tablet a few days ago. Will definitely ring vets to see if they can test the stool. Thanks [emoji]128522[/emoji] my poor baby, she even talking like shes pregnant. I know, shes definitely not pregnant

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well what did the vet say? Did he confirm she is def. not pregnant?

Did he mention any possibilities?

Has she had vaccines?

Where did she come from, how old was she and did she ever have a cold at all?

shell1007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She can't be pregnant. She hasn't been by herself outside. I'm always with her when she is outside. I got her through a friend of a friend. She has a xray on Thursday. The vet isn't ruling out pregnancy.(I KNOW SHES NOT) He said it might be an enlarge something. when I got her, apparently she had her first needle. By the time her next needle was due, the vet said he couldn't do it because he thinks shes pregnant

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had her since she was a little kitten?

I had asked several questions for a reason, not trying to be nosy :)

Did she ever have a mild cold? Or maybe you're not sure? That's fine.

Is she acting normal or is she acting at all differently?

shell1007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got her when she was about 8 weeks, she was very tiny. I don't think she ever had a cold, not sure. She is still eating and going to the toilet. She like to keep to herself a bit more. She's not so playful either. Her stomach is just to big for her tiny feet. Every time I look at her, I'm scared for her [emoji]128557[/emoji]

shell1007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also she had a bit of discharge coming out too, the vet gave her some antibiotics, seems to ok there now

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was the worm tablet from a vet or from a store? If it is from a store, you could be giving her the wrong medicine. There are different treatments for different types of worms. It is best to have your kitten checked by a vet and given the proper medication.

shell1007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes discharge from her private part. Her tummy is really hard and the vet gave her the tablet. I didn't buy if from the shops.. I just it's nothing serious. Thursday is a long wait [emoji]128543[/emoji]

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any way to get her in tomorrow?  If need be, drop her off in the morning and have them check her over and then pick her up later in the day.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The mildest reason for this would be a worm infestation. If they are bad enough, it will take several deworming treatments for them to be completely gone. This can sometimes cause gassy tummy.

If she seems to not be growing as much as she should be it can be congenital liver disease or a pancreatic enzyme deficiency, intestinal disease.

The most serious would be FIP, as anytime a kitten between 4-12 months has a bloated tummy, it must be considered, but no point even thinking that until she sees the vet. It can be a number of things going on.

Can you tell me how long she has had this bloated tummy??

It does concern me that she was so tiny at 8 weeks, and she keeps to herself, not so much into playing.

Oh also, how is her poop?

Last edited:

shell1007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She use to be very playful. Its since she has had this big stomach, that's she stopped. Her poop is solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.