Kitten pukes every night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cjoey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the past month my 9 month old kitten pukes every night around 3 or 4 am. It started after I tried to give him wet food to try and get him to gain a bit of weight. I stopped giving him the wet food once he started throwing up.

We've been to the vet and the antibiotics he was on for a week seemed to stop it but now it's re started. The vet does not seem to know why he's throwing up so much. I live an hour from a pet store. He has been on the same food since I got him since my other cat has severe allergies to most foods.

He use to get very excited to eat and play but now when I feed them he looks at it and goes back to laying on my chair. He doesn't eat or drink much now which I causing him to lose weight.
Any ideas on how I can help him?
The vomit is kinda frothy. Never has chuncks. Cats have 24/7 access to food and running water.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m so sorry your kitty is having this issue. If you can afford it, you may want to ask your veterinarian about your cat getting an ultrasound. One of my cats had a stomach issue that wasn’t detected on an xray, and my vet also couldn't figure out her vomiting. An ultrasound may give a better picture of what is going on. I hope your little guy feels better soon!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Not eating and drinking will become/is serious. I agree that you need to ask the vet about the next step in diagnosing this. Was bloodwork done? Some conditions will not be clear only from that however, so you may need the ultrasound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cjoey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Not eating and drinking will become/is serious. I agree that you need to ask the vet about the next step in diagnosing this. Was bloodwork done? Some conditions will not be clear only from that however, so you may need the ultrasound.
We did blood work which came out normal and some test for leukemia which was negative.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've been to the vet and the antibiotics he was on for a week seemed to stop it but now it's re started. The vet does not seem to know why he's throwing up so much.
I'm not sure I understand why he was on antibiotics if the vet does not know why he's throwing up. What was the vet treating him for with the antibiotics? It sounds like he is lethargic, is that correct? I agree with fionasmom fionasmom that not eating or drinking is very serious. A cat should not go more than 48 hrs. without eating or else their organs can start to shut down. Did the vet suggest trying some Mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite? You can also try offering him all meat baby food that comes in a jar but no seasonings whatsoever. Beech-Nut Meats Stage 1 Baby Food Variety Pack
If your vet does not know what's wrong I would recommend looking into getting a second opinion. Fingers crossed that you can get some answers and your kitten regains his appetite soon. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cjoey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand why he was on antibiotics if the vet does not know why he's throwing up. What was the vet treating him for with the antibiotics? It sounds like he is lethargic, is that correct? I agree with fionasmom fionasmom that not eating or drinking is very serious. A cat should not go more than 48 hrs. without eating or else their organs can start to shut down. Did the vet suggest trying some Mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite? You can also try offering him all meat baby food that comes in a jar but no seasonings whatsoever. Beech-Nut Meats Stage 1 Baby Food Variety Pack
If your vet does not know what's wrong I would recommend looking into getting a second opinion. Fingers crossed that you can get some answers and your kitten regains his appetite soon. :crossfingers:
We were treating him for diarrhea with the antibiotics. We're gonna go to the vet tomorrow. If we still can't get anywhere we're gonna go to the city vet next.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some vets will try what seems to be a logical and less involved treatment first and there is not necessarily anything wrong with that if it works. In your case though, you need another opinion and some other treatment.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear your cat was diagnosed with FIP and was PTS yesterday. :hugs: We had a young cat who passed away from FIP so I can fully empathize with what you're going through. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. RIP sweet angel. :angel:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. You tried your hardest in the face of a very serious condition and your kitten knows that someone loved and was caring for him.

Threads are locked after someone suffers a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute in the Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.
Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.