Kitten Pooping On Bed...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the loose stool issue came back after my last post and we took Percy to the vet yesterday. She suggested it may be diet and so he is currently on a plain diet of boiled chicken (which he is loving). Lo and behold, first bowel movement yesterday evening was pretty firm and normal looking...

The vet also gave us some sample pots and asked us to take samples over three days and bring them in for testing just to check it’s not anything infectious. She also said we will be doing blood work depending on how those come back.

But very interesting that it might be diet. We haven’t fed him anything new. He’s still on the same food he’s always been on. But it’s weird how there was such an abrupt change.

The vet also said the timing of the loose stools and his pooping on the bed was almost certainly not coincidental. She said it was very likely that he was feeling discomfort and couldn’t make it off the bed to the litter box.

No problems since then though. Hmmm.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update.

I am so glad that the vet will be doing some fecal exams. Do you know if the vet will be doing a diarrhea PCR test? I personally do that test for mine to rule out infectious causes.

It could be a food allergy so trying different foods can be helpful. It could have been an ingredient in the food or the quality control of the food could have been variable. Or sometimes certain ingredients can start some issue if there is something going on. It is really detective work. But we will work through this.

We'll know a lot more after the vet does the fecal tests. And we will work from there.

Don't worry, we will figure this out. Cats want to cover their scent and use the litter box so instinct is on our side and we should be able to solve this. We'll keep ruling things out to get to the source but I suspect the vet is correct that discomfort caused the issue. So if we solve the discomfort (diarrhea) issue we'll solve the problem.

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just as an update as this is now a fairly old thread but I just saw someone liked a post here... this issue ultimately turned out to be dietary. The breeder had started Percy on Feringa chicken wet food. It’s a high quality German food. We bought a Feringa variety pack consisting of the chicken variety and a different veal variety. Percy’s been on a sensitivity diet for a few weeks now and we tested the Feringa with him slowly. If he has a small amount of the veal, it’s very loose stools pretty fast. Doesn’t appear to have the same reaction with the chicken.

It took a bit of time on a sensitivity diet of bland chicken and rice to be able to figure that out and isolate the cause though.

Other than that, Percy is very happy and is getting a little brother in a month... so much for “we can’t get a second cat...”

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update. I am SO GLAD that Percy is doing well.

It does take some detective work and time but thank you so much for standing by him. I am so glad he has such a great and loving home.

Wow, a little brother. Please feel free to post on any questions you have on the introduction process.

I highly recommend following the formal introduction process in order to get them to trust each other. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Here are some links that could be helpful:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

Thanks again for supporting Percy and giving him such a great home and so much love. Always here for you anytime. Thank you for the great update, you made my day!!

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks :) we’re away for two weeks at Christmas and the breeder Percy came from is boarding him for us... and she is also new kitty’s mum, so she is going to help with the introductions for us... but will definitely keep all of the helpful intro materials on standby...

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ps, do people in this community frown on people getting kitties from breeders as opposed to rescues? I’ve wanted a cat for about 5 years and my boyfriend finally agreed on the condition that we get a British Shorthair... I saw the crack in that door opening and I walked right on through!!!

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not if it is from a reputable and trust worthy breeder.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. Enjoy your holiday.

It is always great to walk through the door to cat ownership. :)

Always here for you anytime.

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not if it is from a reputable and trust worthy breeder.
We got so lucky. She cried when she gave us Percy and almost forgot to take the money from us. She told us she always cries because she gets so attached to the kittens. The cats in her home, and the kittens, are really well looked after and she just loves them so much, it’s very apparent. Definitely a good egg!

Cookiecat73

Love for stray/feral cats
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm not sure it's ok to advertise here, but if you're interested in what I've designed because one of my 3 kitties peed on the bed, you can check out my waterproof bed-size cover on Etsy.com... Again, I don't want to send the link because I'm not sure advertising is OK here, but if you wish, search with the terms 'waterproof pet cover'. My store is called Silly Legacy (after my kitty Silly). It could save your bed for the time your kitty has accidents...
I'm hoping the peeing will stop, like it did in my case, after a few months...