Kitten Pooping On Bed...

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Another quick question, newbie here. My boyfriend and I have a new kitten. He’s 10 weeks old and adorable. We love him. He’s litter trained and generally always uses the litter trays we have for him. We had one litter tray originally, but we now have two. We have a two-bedroom apartment and he sleeps in our ensuite bathroom and has access to our bedroom during the day, and we also open up the rest of the apartment to him under supervision when we're around. He had a little accident (pee) on our bed about two weeks or so ago, which we didn't properly clean using the correct products and so he repeated it, but has otherwise been fine. We've since taken steps and removed the soiled mattress and soaked the sheets in enzymatic cleaner.

Since we've had him, there's been someone almost consistently around. We had a few days where we both had to work, but for the rest of it, we took time off to be with him and my boyfriend's sister also stayed with us for a week so she could be with him while we were at work. The time has come, however, for us to go back to work full-time and today was our first full day back at work away from him with what we would describe as our normal routine.

We got back from work today to the delight of a turd in the middle of our bed. We were shocked and really upset. I’ve read some helpful posts about this on the forums and I think there are a number of potential issues. The stress of being left on his own is obviously one. Another is that his litter trays are in entirely different rooms and fairly far apart. He had used his main litter tray to pee and poop earlier in the day (by the looks of it, the poop had been there a while) but potentially he didn’t want to go in the same litter box again when he felt the urge later in the day. We normally always clean his trays immediately when used. We also have noted in the past two or three days that his poop is looser than usual. He was doing firm poops up until now (they could be easily scooped up without litter and they didn't completely stink), whereas now his poop is significantly softer. Apologies if TMI, but it is fairly shapeless and very wet, and it stinks.

We're working through some of these potential issues and are planning to take appropriate measures (we now have a cover for the bed, for example) and are going to call the vet, but the one thing that keeps me really worried is him being on his own. We cannot get another cat to keep him company - we just can't. And perhaps it's just a big change for him all of a sudden spending time on his own. But presumably other people have cats and work full-time, right? We don't work crazy hours, usually just 9 - 5, and we lavish him with attention at the weekend. We're just feeling very guilty about him feeling so obviously anxious that he felt the need to $hit on our bed, but we have to go to work. Do kittens grow out of this? Do you have any pearls of wisdom?

We also bought him a huge cat tree today to try and keep him more entertained and give him some serious vertical space (it's 6ft tall) and he's playing on it now, but would love some advice. We're new to cats.

Thanks

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear this.

Can he jump off of the bed?

Cats go outside of the litter box for a couple of reasons. Medical (pain, infection, etc) or behavioral (territorial insecurity, stress, etc).

I am so glad to hear that you will be taking him to the vet. I would highly suggest getting him a PCR test to rule out any problems such as Giardia, etc. A PCR test is expensive but it is very comprehensive and can be economical in the long run as well as less stressful.

The fact his stools are loose now and smelly could suggest a health issue. Often times diarrhea and other not normal stools can be uncomfortable and when a cat has pain or discomfort going they avoid the litter box.

So after the vet visit I would like to work on a couple of things. Makes sure there are plenty of litter boxes around. I know it is less than ideal but consider a litter box in the bedroom or very near. You are right, he may not have been able to get to the litter box.

The fact he did pee on the bed suggests to me stress or insecurity. Are there other cats near your house (or that come around)? I wonder if your kitten is smelling other cats and is feeling territorially insecure.

So I like to step up play in the area a cat is going. After play feed treats or a meal. Add as many cat trees and scratching posts especially in the bedroom if possible. Cat trees allow the cat to go high (which builds confidence) and scratching posts allow the cat to get their scent on things to "own" the territory more. Also, you may want to consider cat shelving as it also allows a cat to get around above the ground (high) and gives them confidence. Also, makes sure the cat has a lot of warm and comfy bedding again to feel comfortable and get their scent all over. Also, look for toys that the kitten can play with (safely) that doesn't require human interaction so he can have fun while you are away. Finally, just keep loving him, give him great food, love (if you can safely without being hurt).

Cats take on our emotions so please be as calm and confident as possible around him. Being calm, confident and relaxed will help him as he will take those feelings on and feel less stressed.

Cats want to cover their scent and using the litter box is perfect for that so once we get him checked out by the vet and work on building his security we'll get him through this.

Please let me know how the vet visit goes and we will solve this. Don't worry, we will help you for as long as you need.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: C calicosrspecial has given you some excellent advice. I want to second the thumbs up about the vet visit since the stool softening that began a few days ago could be an indication that medical issue is involved. Also, there is no such thing as TMI at this site when it involves cats. We are prone to detailed discussions about bodily waste around here. :)
Gr Ct RedLB (O).gif

I think it's wonderful that you stayed home with your new kitten and gave him such a gentle introduction to his new family. :catrub: I wish everyone had that option. :cutecat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks both, very helpful. We’ll call the vet tomorrow and book him in. It is weird how one minute his stools were fine and normal and the next they were sloppy and reaaaaaally pungent, and then he poops on the bed. I wonder whether it might be medical and he’s feeling discomfort. He’s still playful though, so he doesn’t SEEM sick to me. (But I’m not a vet and have no cat experience so my opinion counts for very little!)

But seriously... can I have a cat and work full time? I just feel bad that he could be living with a family with people around constantly and instead he’s on his own during the day. But we love him already and so really want to keep him :(

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Separately... we don’t presently allow kitty into our bedroom at night while we sleep. I don’t know why; we just haven’t done it yet. We’re thinking about it. I’m nervous about allowing him to do this while this issue is ongoing but on the otherhand, don’t cats dislike going to the toilet where they sleep? So if he is sleeping on our bed, perhaps that would be a good way of stopping him from trying to poop there again. Hmmm.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Plenty of people who work full time have cats although many do get a second cat so both will have company. This isn't an option for you so it's important to provide as much stimulation as possible. Older cats spend most of their time sleeping but you have a 10 week old kitten who is going to be running around looking for things to do and to watch. And ways to get into trouble.

BlkCatUnrollsTP.gif

Have you kitten-proofed your apartment, yet? He may not be chewing on electrical cords now but once he gets a bit bored, they may become fascinating chew toys. Just in case you are not already aware of ways to kitten-proof your home, check out this information from the Humane Society of the United States: Cat-Proof Your Home with 12 Easy Tips

Once you've taken away the really "interesting" stuff that appeals to kittens, you'll need to replace it with equally interesting but safe items. You've already provided him with one of the most important things: a cat tree. Try to put this in front of a window, ideally one that looks out on birds and/or squirrels, although any scene with lots of activity will get his interest. You might consider putting a bird feeder outside so he can watch the Bird Show but be sure to read about the pros and cons of doing this first. There are some people who feel that showing a cat prey that he can't reach is setting him up for unnecessary frustration. I think it may depend on the cat. My cats have always loved watching bird feeders but not all cats do.

You can also get games and videos for cats to play with and watch. The games usually consist of something like a bug randomly moving across the screen - depending on their attention span, cats can spend a long time swatting at whatever is moving around. I have a couple of these games on my tablet and one of my cats really gets going on it. Neither of them is interested in videos, though although many cats will sit mesmerized before the screen. There is a wide selection of games and videos for cats on the market and a search on Amazon will give you some idea of what's out there.

Be sure to get him toys that he can play with by himself- again there is huge selection out there. My cats tend to go for the track toys where they can push balls around and around. You might also consider investing in a food maze. These are plastic containers that hold kibble but have small openings so cats have to work for their treats.

About letting him sleep with you - this is another issue about which people have strong opinions. Both of mine sleep with me and I wouldn't have it any other way. There is something wonderfully cozy about having a warm little snoozer nearby. What you've heard about cats not wanting to poop or pee near where they sleep or eat is correct. It's not 100% though, especially if he has a medical issue and is unable to control himself.

I forgot to ask you - have you changed his food recently? Food changes, especially if done rapidly, can upset a cat's digestive system, leading to loose stools and diarrhea. The odor you describe may be associated with his food - often the best way to get rid of odor is to slowly change his food to a different brand.

Good luck with this little sweetheart. He sounds absolutely adorable. You don't have any pictures of by any chance? Around here, we can never have too many cat photos. catman.gif

animated-cat-image-0039.gif

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had a similar issue with my 12 week old kittens. Though it’s not exactly the same, I did want to chime in since I just went through this.

Our kittens have had on and off soft stools for about 4 weeks now (finally getting much better). A few days ago (right before I was about to let them start sleeping with us because they no longer got poop on their paws every time they used the box) I come home to find that one of the kittens has pooped directly on the hardwood floor. Twice (and I actully witnessed him doing it the second time). When I am gone, they are in a spare bedroom with the door shut and access to their litter pans, so he definitely wasn’t confused.
When I saw him taking a dump the second time I was following him around because he was acting weird. I thought he needed to go, but he had just peed in his litter box. But he kept licking his back legs and ever so slightly digging around in different places, which was highly suspect. My other kitten sort of wanted to play with him at the time as well. I didn’t realize what was happening until it was too late. I also noticed his stool was softer than usual (he’s usually the one with good poops). So I figured the recent pee in the box, the other kitten, plus the diarrhea were contributing factors. I immediately installed a new Modkat litter box (the cube kind) with a little step in their room, so that he had a covered, quiet place to poo. Haven’t had problems happened since. They also religiously poop in the covered box and only pee in their open litter pan...I didn’t realize this was a thing until I read about it a couple of days ago on this very forum.
**its very expensive, but I highly recommend checking out Modkat litter boxes. They have a couple different models for “diggers” and “side pee-ers” and the design dramatically cuts down on litter box odor and tracking. Also, best looking litter boxes you’ll ever see.

Side note - The kittens have gone in other places in the past; once right outside of my older cat’s Modkat box while we were training them to use it - understandable. Once in a pile of paper towels that they managed to shred on the floor (I assumed they were confused) and once in an amazon box. I also chalked this up to confusion because I had used an amazon box as a makeshift litter the night we brought them home (it was unexpected). All that to say - I think young kittens can easily get confused, especially when they have access to a new, large space. They will grow out of it.

So, definitely get your kitten checked out by the vet for the diarrhea as the others have said, but also have faith that it will get better. I am learning that poop problems just come with the territory with young kittens and as they get older, it will get better. Mine needed to be dewormed, treated for tapeworms (this is separate from “deworming” which usually only treats round and maybe hookworms), but in the end mixing canned pumpkin and probiotics into their food is what fixed their diarrhea. If your kitten comes back clean for parasites and infection I would highly recommend trying those two things with him. Also, as mentioned above, transition him onto new foods veerryyyyyyy slowwwwllyyyy

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, super helpful. We're going to take him to the vet as soon as we can and report back. We have a cam in our bedroom (FOR THE CAT!) and have been watching him playing and sleeping on the cat tree all day... Also saw him using his box. The cat tree was a good purchase...

Here's a pic of him sitting on the sofa at the weekend!

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks both, very helpful. We’ll call the vet tomorrow and book him in. It is weird how one minute his stools were fine and normal and the next they were sloppy and reaaaaaally pungent, and then he poops on the bed. I wonder whether it might be medical and he’s feeling discomfort. He’s still playful though, so he doesn’t SEEM sick to me. (But I’m not a vet and have no cat experience so my opinion counts for very little!)

But seriously... can I have a cat and work full time? I just feel bad that he could be living with a family with people around constantly and instead he’s on his own during the day. But we love him already and so really want to keep him :(
Things happen with health. The good news is, most things can be cured easily. We'll see what the vet finds. But loose stools can be a source or a symptom of discomfort or things not being exactly right. So that is very possible.

Absolutely you can have a cat and work full time. Cats hunt (play), eat, groom and sleep and repeat that. That is their life. So giving them play when you are home, giving him places to look outside during the day (birds, squirrels, etc) and warm places to sleep, and love when you are home is a wonderful life for a cat. Don't worry, he will have a great life.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Separately... we don’t presently allow kitty into our bedroom at night while we sleep. I don’t know why; we just haven’t done it yet. We’re thinking about it. I’m nervous about allowing him to do this while this issue is ongoing but on the otherhand, don’t cats dislike going to the toilet where they sleep? So if he is sleeping on our bed, perhaps that would be a good way of stopping him from trying to poop there again. Hmmm.
Thank you for the additional information. This could be important.

We talked about territorial insecurity as a potential cause. The fact that he has some access to the bedroom but does not have access at night could cause territorial insecurity as he doesn't think he totally "owns" that room. He has it sometimes but not always. That can cause insecurity and marking (usually urinating but also defecating) can be a way for a cat to say "this is mine" by getting their scent on it. The fact he did urinate on it before could suggest this is the cause but I still want to get him checked out by the vet to rule out medical (especially because his stools are loose).

Espalia gives great advice and mentions several important things.

Loose stools can be caused by a number of things medical, change of food, stress etc.

Did you change his food recently?

The cat tree is a great purchase and will be very helpful for him.

Margd's posts are excellent and very insightful as well. great advice.

Thank you for the pic. He is absolutely ADORABLE!!

Don't worry, we will get through this. Between Margd and Espalia we will get you through this. Please feel free to update us and ask anything anytime.

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again guys, so helpful.

So things seem to have settled down a bit. His stools are back to normal and he’s been very sweet. No further issues (though appreciate it’s early days). Will report back as soon as we have a view from the vet. Given the acute phase seems to have stopped we’re going to take him at the weekend when we can get a regular appointment.

I honestly think the cat tree has helped immensely. He’s on it constantly and he generally seems much more chilled out. It has a little cave/lair near the top that he can also hang out in and that’s where he sleeps during the day. I’ve been putting my pyjama t shirt in there so he has some of my scent while I’m away.

Another observation/question on that. From the camera, I can see that he sleeps a lot! I knew cats slept but I didn’t appreciate quite how much. The current routine is that we wake up around 7, have a little play with him and feed him, then we’re out of the flat by 8.30/9. From what I can tell, he might then have a little play with the toys I leave him but it’s then a nap in the cat tree lair until basically 5pm. He gets up to use his litter tray but then it’s back to napping. We get home and he then has a burst of energy from 6/7 until maybe 11? We feed him after play and then put him down to sleep. I did a bit of research and it suggests that kittens of his age can easily sleep 16-20 hours a day. Is this right? I hope so...

Having this kitten feels basically like a trial run for parenthood so I’m very grateful to have found you all!!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

I am so glad his stools are better. Hopefully the vet can rule out medical things and we can then focus on the non-medical.

Cat trees are very helpful. I truly believe in them as they build confidence because they give a cat height to survey the situation in the area (a strategic position to observe and be safe) and allows for the cat to "own" territory by getting his scent on things. Great idea to have clothing with your scent on it to be with him. Another thing that helps him feel confident, safe and secure.

I am not as familiar with kittens as I only work with adult cats. But I know adults can sleep a lot. A cat's life really is to hunt (play), kill, eat, groom, and sleep and repeat. It sounds like you are doing the right things, play then feed. Keep up the great work.

So true, it is good practice for starting a family.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I did a bit of research and it suggests that kittens of his age can easily sleep 16-20 hours a day. Is this right? I hope so...
Yes, that's right - kittens do sleep that much. Their waking hours make up for it - they burn off a lot of energy playing and exploring their world. Wait until the first time the little guy has a case of the zoomies! This is when they run around like lunatics just for the sheer joy of it. This may be a cartoon but it captures the zoomies perfectly.

Having this kitten feels basically like a trial run for parenthood so I’m very grateful to have found you all!!!!
We're very glad you found us as well, and you're right that having a kitten is a good trial run for parenthood. However, as a formerly frazzled, sleepless, disoriented mother of a newborn infant, I am not sure anything can prepare you for the reality. IMO, it's all worth it, though. :cloud9:

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hehe :) we gave him an Instagram feed because our friends and family are obsessed with him. If you’d like to see more, he’s at www.instagram.com/percival_kitteh

He’s asleep on my lap right now while we’re watching tv. He’s adorable.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I just checked his Instagram page. Percival is too adorable for words. I see you already have 175 followers. :clap:

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cute kitty :)
For when you work, I got the Bergan star chaser toy for my 2 old cats and an extra one for my bf's cat, Kit. I recommend this toy for when you dont have time to play with your kitty. Kit is only 3 years old and she love that toy...she sometimes sleep on it for the night. After finding kit outside 3 (prolly 4 now)years ago, my bf was closing the bedroom and bathroom doors at night and she became very aggressive. In my home, my 2 cats are queens and they can go everywhere. Do not forbid access to any room. When i visit my bf, Kit is literally chasing/biting me out of the living room because its her *place*.
We talked about territorial insecurity as a potential cause. The fact that he has some access to the bedroom but does not have access at night could cause territorial insecurity as he doesn't think he totally "owns" that room
Kit is still agressive...but she now sleep with us at night ^^

Last edited: