Kitten not peeing and eating less and other issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 week old bottle baby kitten and 2 dogs, I was wondering when I can introduce them. Should I wait till she (the kitten) gets her vaccines or can I do it now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do NOT introduce a four-week-old kitten to 2 dogs. She is much too young. She needs to be fully weaned, vaccinated, and spayed.

How old are your dogs? What are their individual temperaments?

Introductions must be short and FULLY supervised when they do occur when she is older.

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 week old kitten isn’t pooping on its own, she can pee on her own in the litter box… however she still needs to be stimulated to poop, is this normal?

showmesphynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, that is not normal. By 6 weeks of age a kitten should be able to have a bowel movement on it's own. It sounds like a visit to the vet would be in order.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten sounds slightly constipated. Is she still on the bottle? Is she eating wet cat food or dry food or both?

Your best bet is to add 2-3 drops of olive oil to her kitten milk and also to any wet food you give her. Also, soak the dry food in kitten formula or water to soften. This should help things move along so that she can poop on her own soon.

At only 6 weeks old, she probably just needs more time to learn to go on her own. Since she does poop when stimulated, there’s likely nothing wrong. Just give her time!

showmesphynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, that is not normal. By 6 weeks of age a kitten should be able to have a bowel movement on it's own. It sounds like a visit to the vet would be in order.
I am a preservation breeder. When I start weaning kittens, I grind down the dry kitten food I use at my cattery and at 4 weeks I mix it with water or Fosters GM to make a gruel out of it for the babies to lap up. By 6 weeks they are eating dry kibble on their own and using the litter box and box pooping on their own. If they get constipated, a drop or two of Karo syrup mixed in with some gruel will often help fix the problem. Karo syrup is what people give dogs and babies so it is also what I use for my kittens. I have never heard of anyone using olive oil for constipation on any type of animal before so I can't say yes or no to that. Kittens should be seeing the vet at around 6 weeks to get their first round of vaccinations and get checked for heart murmurs anyway, so it would be a good idea to go ahead and get it's little tummy looked at while you are there. Best of luck with your baby.

showmesphynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 week old bottle baby kitten and 2 dogs, I was wondering when I can introduce them. Should I wait till she (the kitten) gets her vaccines or can I do it now?
Hi, I am so sorry. I did not see this post before I saw the post about your kitten being 6 weeks old. I did not realize it was a bottle-fed orphan it sounds like. I completely understand now. That changes the whole picture of what is happening. So, the kitten is not feeding from it's mother and getting her natural immunities. It is best not to allow her around other animals until she is fully vaccinated. She has no protection at all, especially since she is not getting mothers breast milk either. You should really establish care with a veterinarian and get the first vaccination done as soon as possible. Mother cats spend alot of time licking and stimulating the babies bellies so keep rubbing it's belly frequently with a warm moist washcloth. Your kitten will continue to get stronger in time. Try grinding dry kitten food down in a coffee grinder and mix it with the milk to start weaning it. You can make it thicker as time goes by and eventually the kitten will start eating the dry kibble alone and poop all by itself. Please don't let the kitten run around on the ground outside before being vaccinated. It can pick up diseases on the ground like panleukopenia/feline distemper. The kitten does not have a mother to lay with and derive heat from so a pet heating pad to lay on will help it and it's belly as well.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
P PoutyFaery we've been trying to ask you to keep all your posts about this kitten in the one thread, but it seems you don't know how to access your alert notices and private conversations, so I just wanted to mention it here. We've merged them all and amended the title. We know it's not going through a pregnancy, but with a little kitten like yours, our members need all the information in one place.

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am so sorry. I did not see this post before I saw the post about your kitten being 6 weeks old. I did not realize it was a bottle-fed orphan it sounds like. I completely understand now. That changes the whole picture of what is happening. So, the kitten is not feeding from it's mother and getting her natural immunities. It is best not to allow her around other animals until she is fully vaccinated. She has no protection at all, especially since she is not getting mothers breast milk either. You should really establish care with a veterinarian and get the first vaccination done as soon as possible. Mother cats spend alot of time licking and stimulating the babies bellies so keep rubbing it's belly frequently with a warm moist washcloth. Your kitten will continue to get stronger in time. Try grinding dry kitten food down in a coffee grinder and mix it with the milk to start weaning it. You can make it thicker as time goes by and eventually the kitten will start eating the dry kibble alone and poop all by itself. Please don't let the kitten run around on the ground outside before being vaccinated. It can pick up diseases on the ground like panleukopenia/feline distemper. The kitten does not have a mother to lay with and derive heat from so a pet heating pad to lay on will help it and it's belly as well.
Hello, thank you for responding. I took the kitten to our family’s vet when she was 2 weeks (the day after receiving her), the vet told me to wait till she is 8 weeks to get vaccinations, so I will be waiting until then. She has started weaning with kitten wet food and formula mixture over a week ago and shes been doing amazing with it and she loves it a lot! She’s finally pooping by herself in the litter box and peeing in it too. She’s very energetic and healthy, I am no longer concerned about her. I will be waiting to allow her around my dogs after she gets her vaccines, and only with supervision of course. The only area I let her walk around in is my room, which is where she has been staying. I bought a pet heating bad the same day I got her and she’s been using that since then. Thank you for all of the information. :)

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P PoutyFaery we've been trying to ask you to keep all your posts about this kitten in the one thread, but it seems you don't know how to access your alert notices and private conversations, so I just wanted to mention it here. We've merged them all and amended the title. We know it's not going through a pregnancy, but with a little kitten like yours, our members need all the information in one place.
[/URL]
Okay, I understand. Thank you for telling me.

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I’m really concerned now. My kitten who is 6 or 7 weeks spent the whole day pooping and not having much interest in food. She seems fine, she is energetic and playful… however when I bring her food she goes up to it occasionally gets a couple of sips/bites then walks away, she’s not eating full meals or much of anything at all. She also has pooped about 6 times today all being the consistency of a thick brownie batter, in the shape of a blob. My mom says she’s probably just backed up/full and to give it time, but it’s been about 19 hours since she’s ate a full meal.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
H
Okay, I’m really concerned now. My kitten who is 6 or 7 weeks spent the whole day pooping and not having much interest in food. She seems fine, she is energetic and playful… however when I bring her food she goes up to it occasionally gets a couple of sips/bites then walks away, she’s not eating full meals or much of anything at all. She also has pooped about 6 times today all being the consistency of a thick brownie batter, in the shape of a blob. My mom says she’s probably just backed up/full and to give it time, but it’s been about 19 hours since she’s ate a full meal.
Has she been dewormed yet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since she’s so young she may need fluids. Try giving her clear Pedialyte with a syringe - 1mL every hour. If she’s not better by tomorrow you’ll want to see a vet. Young kittens can go downhill quickly.