Kitten not peeing and eating less and other issues

Fen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks very young and at that "awkward stage" where it can be difficult to tell. But that looks to me like it may be a little boy as despite the "upside down exclamation point" looking area , the genital opening itself appears circular as opposed to a slit.
I could be wrong though, so don't take my word for it. It will become more evident in time and a vet can tell you 100% 😊

Fen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure that's a girl.
At first glance I was pretty confident that was a girl too, so you may be entirely correct! I was inspecting the picture quite closely before I changed my mind haha!
Perhaps P PoutyFaery could share another picture or two?
I find placing them on their feet and lifting the tail with all 4 paws on the ground the most accurate way to view their bottoms since they aren't all tensed up and straining while wiggling around :lol:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's hard to tell with all the fur, but I'm thinking girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help, I’ve been taking care of an orphaned kitten for a week now and she’s doing amazing.. however in the last 14 hours when I stimulate her she hasn’t gone pee and she’s eating a little less that usual but still eating, should I take her to the vet? She’s 3 weeks, by the way.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, do get her seen. She may need meds or fluids. Is there any chance she has aspirated milk into her lungs? This would be an emergency as it can be fatal.

What formula are you feeding, how much and how often?

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, do get her seen. She may need meds or fluids. Is there any chance she has aspirated milk into her lungs? This would be an emergency as it can be fatal.

What formula are you feeding, how much and how often?
I just got her to pee a little bit. I don’t think she has aspiration, she’s breathing normal and she’s energetic.
We have been using Petlac dry formula, every 4-5 hours and 18mL, but she’s only drinking about 15ml now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not force more formula than she wants. Also, feed every 3 hours instead of 4 to 5 since she’s only 3 weeks old. What is her weight?

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
15oz
Do not force more formula than she wants. Also, feed every 3 hours instead of 4 to 5 since she’s only 3 weeks old. What is her weight?
I was doing 4-5 based on what the “Kitten Lady” on YouTube said.
She 15oz and pooping every other day.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What colour is her urine? If it's dark or bright yellow she may be dehydrated and that's why she's peeing less.

Other possibility is she's starting to pee by herself on her bedding and that's why she's not going when you stimulate her.

But 14 hours is a very short time and as others said, it's normal to have peaks and plateaus. Like with humans, if you have a huge lunch, you're not so hungry at dinner.

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my kitten is 4 weeks and a bottle baby… When did y’all start weaning your kitten(s)? I was wondering if I should start weaning at week 4-5 or 5-6.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I laughed at the title because it asked when I started weaning,not the cat! :hyper: :hyper:Anyways usuall 5 weeks though some are ready earlier

PoutyFaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I laughed at the title because it asked when I started weaning,not the cat! :hyper: :hyper:Anyways usuall 5 weeks though some are ready earlier
😂 Hahahahaha, My bad! Tired cat mom brain. I definitely meant the cat!!! Thank you :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that I would add is that water used for kittens should be bottled, filtered or good well water that's not stored in plastic because feline kidneys are very sensitive to the chemicals in general municipal tap water.