kitten keeps making holes in furniture

cutepanda01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To trim a cats claws, get a claw-trimming kit.

Trim up to the reddish part, or it will bleed.

That should stop all the tearing,

but like the peeps above said, try to him a hidey-hole.

sammythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The way i stopped my cat was with a bottle of spray water, and when you catch him tearing into your furniture, then give him a quick scoosh! Its a great way to keep them fit, as they always run a mile, and it only took my a couple of regular scoosh's and then one every so often, and now he never does it. If i'm watering the plants with the same bottle though, he off like a greyhound!

ilovemycats7896

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you see your  kitty sinking her claws or making holes into your favorite couch, reach for a spray bottle filled with ordinary water. The shock of sudden wetness usually stops a cat in her tracks, and eventually, if you do it consistently enough, your cat will associate the unpleasant sensation with the scratching behavior. For a really tough case, put just a few drops of vinegar into the spray bottle and aim for kitty’s nose. It doesn’t hurt them, but the strong smell annoys them. (Another Askviller suggested this, and it worked for my kitten.) Then eventually he will understand that when he makes holes in your couch he'll get sprayed with the water and stop

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't ever use vinegar and spray it at your cat!  It is not safe at all.  If you would like to understand it a bit better, open your eyes and spray it in your own face and nose...it stings!  This is because it is an acid.  Yes, you have diluted it etc, but don't please do this.  (However, vinegar and water make an excellent household cleaner as it has natural antibacterial properties)

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, do NOT spray your cat. They listen. All you have to do is to communicate to them with a lot of love, patience and time. Clap your hands, stomp your foot on the floor and say "NO" loudly. DOn't yell at them and don't scream their name. Any kind of non-threatening noise will do; no LOUD noises. Your kitty will be worse if you traumatize him/her... Years ago, when I was young and inexperienced, I sprayed water on my cat and she just stood there and squinted her eyes and face preparing for the deluge. I realized how cruel this was and stopped after just a couple of squirts. It's inhumane.  PLEASE!!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This isn't a place where people correct each other!
One of my responsibilities as an advisor is to keep the threads flowing smoothly.  Four people in a row, including me, is enough re-inforcement of the situation.  I just didn't want anyone else to chime in and tell them the same thing.  If you would like, I can flag all the posts and let the moderators make a decision. 

If you object to my posts, you have the ability to flag them. Just click on the flag in the lower left corner and when the window pops up, select the reason you are flagging the post.

Last edited:

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel I have to say a few drops of vinegar  in a squirt bottle that holds 250ml of water wont be noticeable by humans, Hopefully nobody is thoughtless enough to use straight stuff. In most cases squirt bottle is not the right tool anyway 

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just been reading how people use squirt bottles, and I hate to say this, but I agree to not using  them. seems its a tool that can too easily be misused, so avoiding it is the best course.

lucylittlekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had a cat before. I got this cat because I wanted it. My cat before was not like it. I CAN NOT continue to allow him to continue to DESTROY my furniture that I paid out of my own money for. I did not come here for you to tell me I shouldn't have got him. I came for help to stop him from again DESTROYING MY FURNITURE. If you don't see a problem in that then idk what else to say
What if you had children and they peed in your bed or ruined your couch, would you just give them up for adoption. I understand your frustration, but this is easily fixable with training and play therapy. It's good to assume that something will get scratched or peed on when you own a cat. I don't know any owners who have ever had a cat and had NO problems at all. being prepared to train and deal with couch scratching and other bad habits are part of owning a cat.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you read the whole thread or just the first few posts then hit reply?  The post you quoted is 2 weeks old and there has been positive discussion about the situation. No need to bring back old posts just to bring up things that have been addressed.

lucylittlekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
O
Did you read the whole thread or just the first few posts then hit reply?  The post you quoted is 2 weeks old and there has been positive discussion about the situation. No need to bring back old posts just to bring up things that have been addressed.
Oh, the site on my phone only showed me the first page of replies, I didn't realize there were more.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I understand that.  The mobile site doesn't highlight the number of replies as well as the standard site.  If you look in the right upper corner each post, it will tell you   post# xx of yy. That way you won't miss any good advice.  I use the mobile site on my nook color.

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked if luv4u859  had tried any of the advise that had been given. The sticky patch covering the hole worked