kitten keeps making holes in furniture

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a cat supply store for closeout deals. Get your local Penny Saver classified paper and look in there.  However, beware of buying used towers.  They could be sprayed, filled with bugs or toxic chemicals.  Look for one that someone bought and is still in the box, unused.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look on Amazon for Go! Pet Club and Armarkat cat furniture. It's not super well-made, but will last a reasonable amount of time under normal usage.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying to find a cat tower for him. Only thing is they are all so expensive and I really need to save my money since I will not be working for the summer. Any tips where to get a decent priced one? Been looking on ebay and craigslist to
I was able to purchase 2 large cat trees (one for my cats one for my Mother's) on Ebay with some "smart bidding" years ago.  I think I paid $70 for one and $60 for the other.  Most of it was in shipping!  They are from Armarkat I think and both are still in great shape.  I haven't looked them up in a long time.  

My first cat did this as a kitten also.  I was only 2 when we got her; but I still have this vague memory of my Mom being mad because she tore up the underside of my box spring.  She outgrew it as she got older.  I think everyone else has left so many good suggestions that one of them has got to help!  

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My current cat loves tents. She has several around the house (where I don't go). I drape an old light weight blanket or sheet over something and down to the floor or couch. She climbs in there and sleeps for hours. Please be careful to use screws with the plywood since nails would pull out easier and get into paws or mouths; there is some light weight plywood out there. I use a light plywood that is plain, smooth white on one side as a whiteboard in my classroom. They will cut it to size for you in Home Depot or Lowes, so take your measurements with you. Have fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got him one of those crinkle bags today! tried to slowly ease him into it but putting some treats in it. He went in got the treats and left lol. I am just going to let him try on his own and hopefully he'll like it. 

I was bidding on ebay but got outbid. I am going to go look for another one to bid one

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep Richbet - tents!! I made a little cat bed, put it on the couch, then hubby embellished....two cushions for walls and a light blanket draped over it.  Kato will even let us know if it need re-making, and I have also come home to find it caved in on top of him - he was happy as larry all snuggled under those cushions with his head peeping out!

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL Tammyp!! My Penny even goes into her sofa tent when company is over! Such entertainment you couldn't buy!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got him one of those crinkle bags today! tried to slowly ease him into it but putting some treats in it. He went in got the treats and left lol. I am just going to let him try on his own and hopefully he'll like it. 

I was bidding on ebay but got outbid. I am going to go look for another one to bid one
He will decide fairly soon that he likes the crinkle bag, I am sure.  

Keep looking on ebay. You will probably get the winning bid on one soon.  I looked into QuiBids, but their method is complicated and expensive just to bid.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats all love these tents http://www.walmart.com/ip/23597716 Walmart carries them in their store for about $3.88 each. They Velcro together. I have them in different combos. Four together to make a square or even put them together side by side. You can tuck them under a table to make it even more fun to hide. You can hang toys inside them and even line one with a cozy bed/blanket. I bet your kitten would love these tents. Cheap enough to give it a try. ;)

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, Feralvr. Those are not 'tents' those are 'cubes' to me! You make a tent with a light blanket or sheet. We have 2 sets of 2 cubes in our house. The cats have chewed the fabric in them; they got torn by their nails while playing.  As with all fun things and cats, you have to put items away for a while and bring them out again after a few days or a week so the cats don't get bored...

Catspaw66: Only one of my cats like the crinkle tunnel. The other one seems to hate the sound... Did you mean 'lash' or 'leash'? just wondering.

Have fun!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But cubes are good fun too!  Ours is loved into a decidedly un-cubelike state!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv4u859

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
does anyone think that getting him neutered may calm him down a little bit? I love my lil guy but it really does drive me crazy to have furniture being destroyed that's not even a year old yet :-(

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I would definately suggest getting him nuetered for lots of reasons. There is a very good chance he will be calmer and more affectionate, AND you don't want to be dealing with him spraying. Most nuetered males will not spray.

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, cubes are fun! Mine have toys in them and the kitties have lots of fun in their cubes. I have to trade out the toys every once in a while. I put some away in a box and pull out other ones. The cats get bored but play again when they have a different one!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering will make a huge improvement on the scale of damage that can be done.

You could always put bixspring on ground with no frame(I do this and have for many many years) and some couches you can pull off the "feet" and/or build a base for it.

My friends cat used to go head first behind the seat cushion and get down there, she was a tiny little female cat.

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
luv4u859 - what city do you live in? if close to me i will give you one of my cats' trees. i just had a screened in catio built for my cats (patio for me) and have outfitted it with all kinds of shelves and ramps and a kitty ladder. i had the cement floor tiled and don't want to put their carpeted cat trees back out there because they get too dirty and i don't have room for all of them in my house. when the cats want something soft to lay on, they use the patio furniture.

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert, my kittens are angels in that aspect but because I got them when they had outgrown that stage or maybe because they keep each other busy they don't have time for their own naughtiness.

While he gets trained you can use those kitty nailcaps they sell so he won't be able to cause any damage. Some people say they last a month if applied correctly and they're cheap too. You can find them at petsmart, petco, amazon, etc.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033287

Don't give up on him, Same as with a baby it takes time and patience but he can learn that behavior is not acceptable and probably what he needs is a safe place. Something like a little cave he can go in and hide. Even kids like to build they own tents to hide and play. He is still a kitten so it could be normal behavior but the good thing is that he is more trainable than an older cat.

Cardboard boxes can be a temporary cheap solution for his hiding needs and curiosity. Open a hole that works as a door. You can line it with blankets or fabric using glue if you want to make it look good. I sprinkle catnip on or hide their favorite toy in there when I want to encourage them to use something ;)  But what works for my kittens might not work for yours. You gotta try different things until you find what works for your baby.

I hope it gets better I can imagine your frustration!