Kitten in China. Difficulties finding good food

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey , that looks really good .. I am glad she is healing nicely .. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Gypsy healed sooo well. No complications at all. 

I have a new question. I have to leave for six weeks over the summer so I thankfully found a babysitter. I don't know the girl at all, which worries me, but she seems alright other than a few issues: her apartment is just a tiny box, and she works 8-10 hours a day plus goes away on weekends. I figured my kitten would just be sitting alone in this tiny room for six weeks. 

Since there are so many stray's in China (I pass 50 a day walking around the campus) this girl let a stray kitten (maybe 8 weeks old) that wanders around the apartment into her room as a 'playmate' for Gypsy when she's gone. I'm fine with this, and glad Gypsy will have company, but I cannot take the stray when I pick her up in six weeks, meaning the stray will be abandoned on the street again. I know the stray will also not be taken to the vet either.

So my question, will my cat get fleas, parasites, or worms from playing with a random stray all summer that hasn't been given any shots?  I don't want my cat to get health problems from the stray.

Here's a pic: The stray is the smaller kitten on the floor. (they look like 'sisters')

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would not advise you to allow Gypsy to interact with a stray in which you have no history on and that has not been vetted. There of course is a chance she could get any number of health issues from the stray, from parasites to a URI to FIV/Leukemia (if you have that in China??)

It is best to leave the stray in its environment (and very likely with its mom, littermates) than to take it away for 6 weeks, only to abandon it. By this time, the stray kitten may not be accepted back into its original colony and will truly be left to fend for itself, which is more unfair.

Gypsy will be ok for this time, so long as the girl can give her adequate attention when she is home and there are toys to keep her entertained while she is alone. I also suggest a radio or the tv be left on for her just so there is some background noise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, that's what I suspected. I put a lot of time and effort into making sure Gypsy has been healthy and so far she's had no health issues and want to keep it that way. She already spent one night with the stray but will let the girl know to release it back out.  (Plus I'd prefer the stray not to eat all my kittens food)