Kitten in China. Difficulties finding good food

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness. I'm so sorry. Poor little mite but she'll be so much better once she's home with you. Is she a lap cat at all? She's going to need pampering.
Did you see her scar?
I'm surprised no litter or water and good for her able to hold it in for such a long time. Poor baby.
If I feel quite weepy about this, I can just imagine how you feel.
Write tomorrow when you get her home. I'm sending love to her and good wishes to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya, I've been worried ever since I went to visit. I'm visiting again this morning to feed her and then picking her up this afternoon! The standard of treatment here for animals is just lower. They are not treated how they would be treated in Canada/US. And my cat is not use to that treatment so I feel worse for her. There's just no animal rights here at all. Also, I noticed the cats had some kind of toilet pad in the cages with them as if they're expected to just lie in their urine/feces and use the 'pad'! Also I'm not sure if anyone even checks in on them at night or not!

I still think Shanghai would have had better vets and more westernized standards than where I am now, but it makes me wonder what a boarding house would be like here! I guess if the breeder had been feeding them dry, Chinese brand adult, dog food, I should have known the Vet would be equally bad! And I think the three night thing is ridiculous and was probably just a way to make money...now in hindsight!

She can be a lap cat when she is tired so ya, I will have to make up for her poor treatment. 

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sad to hear how you found her being treated at the vet's after her surgery.  She is lucky to have you caring for her the way you do, and that you saw what she needed and made sure she had her food, liquid and toilet.  Very much hope you will have her home with you very soon so she can being pampered and loved big time to make up for her recent experience.  Also that she makes a speedy and full recovery from her surgery without any post op' problems.  

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here she is back from the Vet. She was pretty happy! She rolled on her back and purred and started grooming herself! I had the my translator call and ask about the no food/water/litter and they seemed full of excuses. Said they were only beginning work at 9:00-9:30 (but I arrived closer to 10:00 to see her) and that the cat shouldn't eat anything for one full day/night after the surgery anyway. Then they said the toilet pads were necessary because 'litter' could infect the scar. Is that true? So literally the cats are given one thin pad in their small cage and expected to lie in their urine/feces! I can't imagine the litter would harm the scar right? 

Anyway, I brought her home and she drank water at the fountain for TEN minutes. She couldn't get enough water! She must not have had any water for two days/nights! 

No wonder the cats need to be larger/older before spaying. A younger kitten probably wouldn't have survived this treatment! She's a bit thinner now than before leaving her there. I just hope there's no complication now. She's licking the area a bit but I haven't noticed her biting or anything. She still seems energetic too thankfully

Last edited:

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a picture of her scar while she was sleeping. Everything looks normal? Is it supposed to be that red? I really don't want any infection or complication now. how long before her hair grows back?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks ok but keep an eye on it and try to keep her away from licking it. I had a cat who actually opened her stitched and had to be re-operated on. Nuisance of a lovely kitty.
I was always allowed to take them home after their operation. They recuperated at home. And they ate if they wanted to. No pressure and there was plenty of water for them.
Keep us informed of how she's doing.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I can't really remember what my girls' wound looked like as it was so long ago, but I think Gypsy looks OK at the moment.  Very important she doesn't lick or bother the wound though so do keep a close eye on her like Stewball says.  If you can get a colar to stay on her that would be safer, and if not it might be worth trying a little vest type stretchy thing, maybe a cut up baby-gro or something to cover her body.   Sounds like she is best off at home with you from what you describe at the vet clinic.  Fingers and toes crossed there are no complications and she doesn't have to go back there.  

She is such a pretty little cat; she is getting even more lovely as she changes from her kitten looks!   And such long legs.  I'm guessing she is always going to be a jumper and climber with her build.  

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed this morning she's licking her stomach and scar  a lot! I can't monitor her at night either because I keep her in another room! Getting the jumpsuit is a good idea! There are a lot of those types of things here for dogs. I was thinking of trying to find a cone but I'm not sure she'd keep it on or what they have here. 

Will try to pick up some clothing type thing to cover her stomach today. But will it chaft or rub? Not sure I can get her size.

Yes, she can jump 6 feet into the air from my bed to a really high dresser! It worried me when she did it last night...because sometimes her stomach grazes the side. Plus she jumps all the way down from it. I tried to stop her but she did it so fast. I don't want her jumping too much right now,

Yeah, she has a leaner body with long legs and a really long tail! She's almost like a circus cat how she jumps and walks on door frames..haha

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

I noticed this morning she's licking her stomach and scar  a lot! I can't monitor her at night either because I keep her in another room! Getting the jumpsuit is a good idea! There are a lot of those types of things here for dogs. I was thinking of trying to find a cone but I'm not sure she'd keep it on or what they have here. 

Will try to pick up some clothing type thing to cover her stomach today. But will it chaft or rub? Not sure I can get her size.

Yes, she can jump 6 feet into the air from my bed to a really high dresser! It worried me when she did it last night...because sometimes her stomach grazes the side. Plus she jumps all the way down from it. I tried to stop her but she did it so fast. I don't want her jumping too much right now,

Yeah, she has a leaner body with long legs and a really long tail! She's almost like a circus cat how she jumps and walks on door frames..haha
what about getting an ace-type self-adhering elastic bandage to wrap her with?

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

what about getting an ace-type self-adhering elastic bandage to wrap her with?
That's a good idea also. I'm sure she's fine, but I'm being more paranoid since I don't want her returning to that vet office again.  I'll see what I can find. I did come across some cones but not sure she'll keep it on her head. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea also. I'm sure she's fine, but I'm being more paranoid since I don't want her returning to that vet office again.  I'll see what I can find. I did come across some cones but not sure she'll keep it on her head. 
If you can find a paper plate, cardboard, you can cut a hole in the middle and put it over her head. It should stop her from reaching the site of the operation and let her eat as well. Poor gypsy.

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually found some kind of cone helmet at the pet store here. It's not very sturdy though. She was able to pull it off right over her head. I think the bandages or clothing she might actually try to bite off, making it worse. I'm going to leave her for now and just watch how it goes. I don't see her licking that much anymore but paper plate is a good idea.

How long before it's safe to say there won't be any complications and I can stop checking the scar? It's day 4 since the operation now. Looks about the same. Still reddish though. She has tons of energy, running and jumping all over the place so I guess that's a good sign.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the outside skin has bonded pretty well after 4 days, I think you can relax a little now. It should be mostly worry-free by 7-10 days. Does she have any external stitches or was it glued? I don't see stitches in the pic. If there are stitches, you can take them out yourself if you don't want to go to the vet again.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

I just dropped her off at the vet. It seems she's going to go a LONG time without eating. I fed her at 11:00 pm last night and the appointment was supposed to be 9:30 am this morning but there was a hold up in the office with so many people so she won't be spayed until 12:00-12:30 now. That's 13 hours without eating right there. I had a translator with me and the vet told my translator that it would be safe for her to eat again tomorrow morning..so that's two nights and a one day without eating. I hope he at least gives her water. Seems like a long time.

There were three other cats in the office in cages and then a family rushed in with a cat that fell from a building! so it was busy in there!  

The vet also say's he spayed 200 cats last year so I assume things will be fine. I'm going to visit her tomorrow and pick her up after two nights. 

And the stitches are self-dissolving so I won't need to return for that at least but he was also saying 'don't be alarmed if after her surgery, she has a rough protrusion on her stomach where the stitches are and that it will fade in a month or so. Not sure what he was going on about there.
Usually the outside skin has bonded pretty well after 4 days, I think you can relax a little now. It should be mostly worry-free by 7-10 days. Does she have any external stitches or was it glued? I don't see stitches in the pic. If there are stitches, you can take them out yourself if you don't want to go to the vet again.

Last edited:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad Gypsy is feeling energetic and I just want to send all good wishes for a speedy recovery to her!  She is a beautiful girl.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I hope Gypsy is still doing well and getting back to her usual self without worrying you too much about whether she might hurt herself.  From the advice you have had here it sounds like she should be getting in to a good clear time from the operation so fingers crossed her wound is still healing nicely and no redness or anything, and that she is eating and drinking well so you can relax a little.  

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't see any stitches at all.  Vet said they disappear on their own. It looks glued or the stitches are under the skin and not visible. Right now it still looks good. Just a thin red line.  She's drinking, eating normally, jumping and playing a lot. Now it's day 5 so almost in the clear! 

Last edited:

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just for safe measure, this is what the scar currently looks like, day 5. I think it's healing pretty good. It's looking a bit crusty actually and you can't see any stitches so I'm guessing they're under the skin.  I think I'm pretty much in the clear!

yay. thanks for the help and comments! 

this site has been very helpful!