Kitten health

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I've got a 12 week old devon Rex & all he does is sleep & eats a little a few times a day. He doesn't play or run around. Is this normal?
Worried mum [emoji]128542[/emoji]

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had your kitty? If the behavior new or has he always been like that? Can you ask where you got him from if he was like that with them? How much does he weigh? What are you feeding him?

Lethargic and not eating well is a big concern in kittens. Dehydration can set in very quickly. They can just go downhill very quickly. If it was me, I'd be at the vet making sure there isn't anything obviously wrong. Rocket had a slightly similar bout at about 5 months old where she just was sleeping and barely eating. We did xrays, bloodwork and an exam with no results. So some boosters and she was better in a few days. Probably ask your vet about a B12 shot, antibiotic and subQ fluids to give him a little boost incase he just has a kitty cold or something minor going on.

All cats are different. Some cats are high energy and never stop. Other cats are calm and mellow. They all have different tastes in toys too so it could be the toys you have for him just aren't interesting to him. I am hoping that it is just his personality is more laid back.

Please let us know how it goes. Any other details you can give might help us give you some vet pointers. At this point though I would do a vet visit and exam to make sure it isn't something serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got him on saturday. He was a live wire apparently.
The breeder said he seemed to go down hill after he was taken away from his mum, the other kittens coped but he didn't. I can't remember how much he weighs but he's thin but having said that he has no hair.
He's a very fussy eater & eats a raw diet, minced beef (ground beef).
He does get up & wanders around & sits with my other two Devons & wows to be picked up.
He's at the vets in the morning first thing (8.30am).
Could it be the fact he's been take off his mum & in a new environment?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Leaving Mom and siblings could explain it. Depressed and still adjusting. A trip to the vet is still in order just to make sure it isn't something else.

I am guessing your other cats eat raw too. He could just be having trouble switching from milk to solid food only. You could get some powdered KMR and offer him a small bowl and see if he goes for it. Some kittens who stay with Mom continue to nurse until mom is completely dry and tolerates it. Obviously that wouldn't be something for long term but if it gets some calories and liquid into him right now it would be good.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No my other two eat wet food, I've got wet for him but he's not keen so I'm giving him what he'll eat until he's older & he's more likely to be receptive to it.
I've ordered some KMR & im giving him goats milk mixed with his mince. At the minute I'm feeding him little & often.
He's just been again & it just came out like coloured water.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you getting a complete raw diet or just the minced beef? Raw diets can be notoriously tricky to make sure you get all the nutrition the cat needs. He could be not getting everything he needs from just the beef and that could explain his behavior. Please check out the raw forum and talk to them about having a balanced diet on raw.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've read up about a raw minced diet & the experts say it's the best diet, although I don't agree, I want him on wet food. I'm going to speak to my vet about it tomorrow. Thank you for your help & advice

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read up about a raw minced diet & the experts say it's the best diet, although I don't agree, I want him on wet food. I'm going to speak to my vet about it tomorrow. Thank you for your help & advice
I think you've made a very wise decision wanting him on wet food.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, however my priority at the minute is to get food into him as he's so thin. I'm very stressed & worn out with worry.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully your vet can point you in the right direction. Best of luck at the vet and please let us know how it goes.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet has put him on antibiotics, which are a nightmare to get into him (liquid form). Also a paste to help harden up his stools that he's meant to lick of my finger but he won't have a bar of it.
His routine is to eat then just sleep, he doesn't play all he wants to do is sleep. He will walk around after me & his uncle (Scribs). He cried a lot to be picked up as he is quite needy. Is his routine normal?