Kitten Dead What Do I Do?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat is a stray cat so she won't stay inside all the time even if i try to. I don't know how she can be in heat again. She just gave birth to kittens.
I am thinking of spaying but i don't know how to take her to the vet as she won't stay in a basket but i will try..
You really must keep her in. Cats can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, and even without going into heat.

Can you get a basket with a lid? Or tie two baskets with ventilation together?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would you be able to get a carrier that closes so she cannot get out in order to take her to get spayed?

You really should keep her totally inside until she is spayed after the kittens are eating soft foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
hey guys and girls thanks for the help but i need some more for some different thing.
The momma Cat took kittens somewhere last night at some other place one by one around 3am-4am holding them in mouth and whenever she comes back to my house she goes to the place where she gave birth in my house, she meows, searches in my house and then she will sit and eat food and go out again. Don't know why is she doing that?
So my question is can the Cat forget where she kept the kittens? I tried to ask my neighbours and tried to follow where the cat goes but i was not able to find.
Has the Cat lost the kittens or is it her behaviour to come to the place where she gave birth to them and search?
Please help guys to understand what's going on? Am super worried. This is the first time cat gave birth to the (3) kittens and one of died (as have mentioned in above posts).

Also remember that this is a stray cat and she gave birth inside my house.

Please help.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she moved the kittens somewhere, and now they are gone - as in someone took them or something happened to them. Now she is searching for them in places that are familiar to her.

I take it you did not restrict the cat to indoor only.

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she moved the kittens somewhere, and now they are gone - as in someone took them or something happened to them. Now she is searching for them in places that are familiar to her.
search
I take it you did not restrict the cat to indoor only.
I don't think someone (human) will take them as they were only 1 week old and even their eyes have not opened.
Can't strict a feral (Wild) Cats to indoors. Those cats always go out when they want to hunt even if we give them the best food..
Can Cats forget were they took Kittens? And if they forget can't they search kittens using their smell or something like that?
Also the area where i live has many stray dogs so many worried if they might have killed the kitten where the cats took them and she can't find them. I will search them in my nearby area and try to see where the Cat goes from my house.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's what I mean. The cat did not forget where her kittens are. Something has happened to them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try to get this poor cat spayed.

It does sound like something has happened to the kittens.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes:Prayers that you find the kittens and bring them home. Usually the mother cat moves her kittens to a safe, very hidden place. I forgot to tell you to change the nest where she gave birth - they like to keep the area clean but will keep the babies in the spot if you give her clean bedding for them to lie on. Maybe she is still searching for her dead baby. Please do not give up hope and please tell us if you see her again.

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what to do? She is a feral cat and she came to my home when she was just a kitten and i have been feeding and taking care of her since then. This cats don't like to be kept indoors. I will try to get her spayed as soon as possible but first i need to find her Kittens or at least what happened to them..
I tired to follow the cat when she goes out but she just disappears after following her to some distance. I have been asking my neighbours and people around my area if they saw kittens of that cat.

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
Momma Cat brought one kitten from the place where she took it but not the other one. Seems like something happened to the other one. :(

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
They were always inside my house.. It's a feral Cat so it does what it wants to do. Cat took kittens (2) out somewhere from my house at around 3.00AM when we were asleep few days ago. Kittens eyes had not opened but now she brought only one.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can try and keep her indoors whilst she is nursing this kitten... If the other kitten has definitely gone. Watch her and check if she attempts to fetch the other however you need to try and hekp the remaining kitten if you can

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with keeping the other kitten in and hopefully mama-kitty will bring in the other baby (although something bad may have happened, especially if there are raccoons, large rats or snakes in the area). I know how difficult it is to deal with semi-feral mother cats and her kittens; I have tried to lock up the mothers only to have the mother cat so stressed out that she abandons the kittens. Fortunately, my kittens were older and I simply take over bottle feeding (lots of work!). I can't recall if you have already bought KMR and bottles, but it is probably a good idea to prepare for assisting in kitten care - mama kitty's milk is best but there are good alternatives (I use goat milk made in the 'kitten-glop' recipe found at www.kitten-rescue.com, which is the website of TCS member Hissy). If the kitten can use KMR without diarrhea, then KMR is more convenient. And in any case, be alert for the need to give electrolyte replacer (unflavored Pedialyte, diluted 50/50, is the best absorbed but I have had great results with homemade recipe). Thank you for the updates!
Prayers that all goes well for you & the little kitty family :vibes: