Kitten Dead What Do I Do?

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys. New member here.
I have a stray to whom i having been feeding and taking care of. She gave birth to 3 kitten on 11th May and one of them died today. Don't know how it died but it's still with the cat and other kittens. I tried to take it away but Cat brought it back. What should i do? Should i take it away without the cat knowing? what about the Cat if she keeps meowing and keeps finding the kitten which is dead? I don't know if Cat is aware if the kitten is dead or not but its still with the Cat and kitten. Please help and Advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She probably isnt clearly aware its dead. Becuase if she knew, she would herself carry it away. Or even ate it up. In the nature they dont want to draw predators or ants into the nest...

Let it be with her a while longer, till she realizes its over.

Be sure you take care of momma and the other alive kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
She probably isnt clearly aware its dead. Becuase if she knew, she would herself carry it away. Or even ate it up. In the nature they dont want to draw predators or ants into the nest...

Let it be with her a while longer, till she realizes its over.

Be sure you take care of momma and the other alive kittens.
Keeping dead kitten with them longer won't have any bad health on other kitten or momma Cat? Kitten died in evening i think around 6PM and its 11PM now. I took the dead kitten away once but Cat took it back to her nest. This is Cat's first litter.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you move mom and the surviving kittens inside? At that point, you could probably bury the one who died.

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
Can you move mom and the surviving kittens inside? At that point, you could probably bury the one who died.
Cat and Kitten are inside. Not outside.
I tried moving the dead one and burying it but Cat took it back to its nest. Am just worried that the other kittens don't get affected due to it. I have already dug up to bury the dead one but I don't want to bury it without the cat knowing it that it died. Please some advice from you experienced ones would be good..

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took my strays conjoined kittens away to have the put down she never seemed to miss them as she had other babies to care for.

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
How is mom getting the kitten back? Is she going outside?
I took the dead Kitten away from the Other Kittens and Cat and put in a waste pan to bury it outside but the Cat saw the Kitten and took it back to the nest holding it in her mouth..
I don't know how much should i wait till the Cat releases that the Kitten is dead. I don't want Cat to be looking for it after i take it away without the Cat knowing it and also worried about other kittens that they are not affected by the dead kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just take it away and put it where she cannot see it or get to it. She will stop looking for it before too long as she has the other kittens to care for.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont think it matters much if the dead kitten is in the nest awhile longer. Unless its very hot at your place and the decay comes literally in a few hours. Or the kitten died in some very bacterial disease...

But of course, it cant lie there more than a few hours. Its swell Cat has such good caretaking instincts, but its not sound in this extension....

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor mama cat..usually they focus on the living babies. Keep explaining to her that her baby is dead and keep showing it to her for maybe another hour, then bury it. I have had a couple of cats leave the nest in search of their dead little one but that was before I began the practice of explaining to the mother. Also, whatever happened to the first one may be a sign that they are facing some health concerns. You have a very good heart for taking care of them!

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for the advice and helping me out here.
I buried the kitten this morning. Cat saw it when i was burying it and she was fine with it so don't have to worry much now.

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
This is good to hear! Are the other kittens doing well?
Seems all fine now.. Other Kittens are fine but Cat seems to be restless as she has not hunted any animal from few days after the birth of Kittens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can get used to being restless. Don't let her out. She can get pregnant again, as she may be in heat now.

Do you plan to spay her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding her well? She needs extra food for nursing - dry food plus 3-4 wet food meals a day.

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
She can get used to being restless. Don't let her out. She can get pregnant again, as she may be in heat now.

Do you plan to spay her?
Cat is a stray cat so she won't stay inside all the time even if i try to. I don't know how she can be in heat again. She just gave birth to kittens.
I am thinking of spaying but i don't know how to take her to the vet as she won't stay in a basket but i will try..

Ravish Baniya

Sentient
Kitten
Purraise
Are you feeding her well? She needs extra food for nursing - dry food plus 3-4 wet food meals a day.
yes i am feeding her well. Food is always there. She doesn't eat much though. Wet and as well as dry food.