kitten coughing

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got 7 15 weeks old kittens outside in a building with straw and there one that  will cough with shoulders hunched and neck extended out  and she will sneezes occasionally, i think she gotten better but it hard to tell since they are outside in the cold other then the coughing she is healthy she plays and jump and climbs things perfectly as far i can tell she don't tired easy   any ideas what it is?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i got 7 15 weeks old kittens outside in a building with straw and there one that  will cough with shoulders hunched and neck extended out  and she will sneezes occasionally, i think she gotten better but it hard to tell since they are outside in the cold other then the coughing she is healthy she plays and jump and climbs things perfectly as far i can tell she don't tired easy   any ideas what it is?
It's probably an upper respiratory infectio and it sounds like it may have moved into her lungs.  Can you bring these kittens inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no because my parents won't let me i got my mom to take her to a vet sometime this week 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's probably an upper respiratory infectio and it sounds like it may have moved into her lungs.  Can you bring these kittens inside?
she been coughing for few weeks now, i do think it have gotten better but it hard to tel since she outside in the cold while we in the warmth so we going to take her to a vet just in case

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

she been coughing for few weeks now, i do think it have gotten better but it hard to tel since she outside in the cold while we in the warmth so we going to take her to a vet just in case

Vet care is very important, really for all of them. Is there a reason you can't bring them into your home, even into the garage to better care for them and to socialize them?  They all deserve vaccinations, de-worming, and testing for FIV/FeLV as well as socializing so they can be happy with humans.

I just saw your post above about not being able to bring them inside.  Can you at least get permission to get them all spayed and neutered?  If they don't have this, they will breed and breed and many will die.

Also, here is a link that shows you how to make shelters for outdoor cats in the winter: http://urbancatleague.org/WinterCatShelters

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Vet care is very important, really for all of them. Is there a reason you can't bring them into your home, even into the garage to better care for them and to socialize them?  They all deserve vaccinations, de-worming, and testing for FIV/FeLV as well as socializing so they can be happy with humans.

I just saw your post above about not being able to bring them inside.  Can you at least get permission to get them all spayed and neutered?  If they don't have this, they will breed and breed and many will die.

Also, here is a link that shows you how to make shelters for outdoor cats in the winter: http://urbancatleague.org/WinterCatShelters
The garage is not connected the house and it just as cold, and i agree they deserve vaccinations, deworming and testing and better care, i will try get my parents to get them vaccinated and i do admit they should get better socializing, but they not afraid of humans i do play with  them for hour or so and my sister is living with us with her husband and her kid, i sometimes sneak them inside for him, we are going to give some away and neuter and spay the ones we keep, the first few weeks of winter was freezing when they only couple to few weeks old i had a heater out there but i was forced to take it out because my father thinks they can survive without it, last night i made a shelter and put it where they staying, it not perfect but at least it will make the winter more bearable for them, i am planning to take them with me when i move out so i can provide better care for them.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i plan to bring them with me when i move out so they can be indoors and better care

flowerdew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The garage might not be heated but it should still be warmer than the open air, even if only by 10 degrees or so. 10 degrees + protection from the elements can count for a lot!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The garage might not be heated but it should still be warmer than the open air, even if only by 10 degrees or so. 10 degrees + protection from the elements can count for a lot!
they are not in open air they in small building and also the garage is full, if they in open air and no way to provide protection from the elements then i will just inside regardless what my parents say. if they in the open air they would be dead when they were 5 weeks or 6 weeks old because it been really cold winter like tonight -15 degrees and there a wind Chill Warning that suppose to stay in effect until noon tomorrow

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just want to cry because they have to endure the cold while we in the warm house, i just wish my dad would have more care and compassion for animals and for my dad stop believing cats or dogs should be outside and that humans are better then animals which we are not and my mom would let me bring them in she just don't want hair all over the place and even might get them vaccinated if she have enough money  

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i just want to cry because they have to endure the cold while we in the warm house, i just wish my dad would have more care and compassion for animals and for my dad stop believing cats or dogs should be outside and that humans are better then animals which we are not and my mom would let me bring them in she just don't want hair all over the place and even might get them vaccinated if she have enough money  
I'm glad that you are doing all that you can.  You are a good person trying your best and these cats appreciate it.  Are you feeding them?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad that you are doing all that you can.  You are a good person trying your best and these cats appreciate it.  Are you feeding them?
i am feeding them dry food, my dad dont like buying food for them because they can hunt, from my understanding kittens are not interest in hunting this young they more in play and i don't want them or mama cat to hunt since they haven;t been vaccinated, i also got two older kittens 7 or 8 months old that will cuddle with them helping keeping them warm

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good and important that you are feeding them.  Is the mom with them too?
yes she is, we got a puppy that like to play so I am afraid to let her out that he will hurt her or the older kittens because he is not gentle I tried getting him to leave them alone and also she might get frozen to dead

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

i am feeding them dry food, my dad dont like buying food for them because they can hunt, from my understanding kittens are not interest in hunting this young they more in play and i don't want them or mama cat to hunt since they haven;t been vaccinated, i also got two older kittens 7 or 8 months old that will cuddle with them helping keeping them warm
I agree with the earlier suggestions, of spaying / Tnr.  Where do you live?  There are almost surely rescue groups who will help you with the spaying, and finding adoption homes for them. Or at least, there should be cheap spaying vets nearby - if the spaying is cheap, it may be easier to talk your parents into it.

Such a cheap spaying clinic will probably do also other basic vet service cheaper than an average fashionable vet.

Also, I think, as your family dont want inside pets, try to find them adoption homes.  Its easier now when they are still young and playful.  They are handleable and you can play with them kittens.  I presume they are shy to others, but the big first opening is made.  It will be much easier for others to come into friendship iwth them

So here are your plans, but the easiest way if you find such a rescue group to collabarate and cooperate with.  They will almost surely happily give you and these cats their help.    

Otherwise you can perhaps find some neigbour or other relative, who can give you support and help?  Adult or another young person. "together are we extra strong"

You took on you a heavy burden, a real Holy Quest. It would be heavy also for a grown up.   You can manage it, if you work consistently on it with a sound plan.  But it will be easier if you get help from friendly folks.

Re the cold garage. 

You can perhaps build them some extra shelter inside that garage?  Is there electricity in that garage?  You can surely rig up some sort of warming lamp.

Otherwise, you can use straw as isolation.  It should be enough, especielly as they are several helping each other to warm up.

Just make sure there is an emergency exit in the huts you are constructing for them.  A forrard entrance, and a smaller exit backwards.

Go to our Forum for Strays and Ferales, you will find ideas there, both for making such huts, and other caretaking of homeless ferales.

Re the cough.  It may be several things, a vet will hopefully know.   What Im thinking on is worms.  If they have many worms, they worms gets into lungs, and cause cough.

As you hint they arent dewormed, they do surely have worms, both round worms, and tape worms...

Last, in the bold letters, what do you mean if they arent vaccinated, they shouldnt hunt?  Vaccines are against cat diseases.  Its only rabies of the" vaccinating diseases" they can get from other animals, but its verry scarce cats get rabies.  (or if you want its extremely scarce people in USA get rabies from cats.  Although its not that unique in some other countries).

I wish you and your protegées all

Good luck!

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the earlier suggestions, of spaying / Tnr.  Where do you live?  There are almost surely rescue groups who will help you with the spaying, and finding adoption homes for them. Or at least, there should be cheap spaying vets nearby - if the spaying is cheap, it may be easier to talk your parents into it.
Such a cheap spaying clinic will probably do also other basic vet service cheaper than an average fashionable vet.

Also, I think, as your family dont want inside pets, try to find them adoption homes.  Its easier now when they are still young and playful.  They are handleable and you can play with it.  I presume they are shy to others, but the big first opening is made.  It will be much easier for others to come into friendship iwth them

So here are your plans, but the easiest way if you find such a rescue group to collabarate with.  They will happily give you and these cats their help.     Continuing!  Hold on

Re the cold garage. 
I live in MN. Now you reminded me there low cost one in fargo no and my mom is willing to get them fix,

They are little shy but they will quickly warm up to others, I would like to keep one or two, there a few humane shelters around so should I get my mom to bring them there or just put up a sign saying free kittens in the driveway? How do I find good homes for them? I am afraid they might go to a place where they get abused or they simply don't understand cats Also I am planning moving out few months after school ends, I plan to bring mama and the two older kittens with me because I am too attached to them

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I live in MN. Now you reminded me there low cost one in fargo no and my mom is willing to get them fix,

They are little shy but they will quickly warm up to others, I would like to keep one or two, there a few humane shelters around so should I get my mom to bring them there or just put up a sign saying free kittens in the driveway? How do I find good homes for them? I am afraid they might go to a place where they get abused or they simply don't understand cats Also I am planning moving out few months after school ends, I plan to bring mama and the two older kittens with me because I am too attached to them
Splendid it seems to resolve itself, step by step.    :)

Taking them to shelter works only if the shelter agrees to foster them and find them adoptions homes.  Many places dont work with homeless shy cats, and thus, in practice they are often immediatley  put to sleep, as they say. Although handleable sweet kittens are decently safe even in these shelters.

The safest bet is if you yourself find them homes.  How to screen the crooks and the inappropriate?   NOT by "kittens for free" to be sure!   Its nam nam for predating and people seeking sparring for their fighting dogs.  Or selling for medical experiment.

The trick is to demand at least 20 dollars!   Which is roughly the price payed by the experimenting institiutions...   If you feel uneasy to ask money, let the sum be a donation, in the CATS name, for some worthy cause both you and the adopter agrees upon.   Doctors without Boundaries, Red Cross, some suitable church group...

Another possibility is to ask for the return of spaying costs.  Which is reasonable for all to see, and also, the adopter doesnt need to bother with it any longer, so they are just happy.

My older bro, who once got on himself  12 kittens from his two young females, had ads, where he sold kittens to families with children, for 10 bucks.  He tried to arrange it so, the child come to his place with his parents.  The child had the money in hand, and he had the kitten in his.   And so the child payed up, and received the kitten.  With the parents standing behind, supervising and giving their quarantee.

As he told me, every one of these adoptions went lucky,  he knew becuse he visited them again several years later.

So, there are many solutions, but dont never give away for free, unless you KNOW the kitten will be receives as a precious gift.

So personally knowing the adopters is always an advantage especielly if they get an much discounted price.

So many people thinks, what is for free, is virtually worthless...  If there are any problems, its easier to just get another one, kittens, there are such to get for free.. Many thinks.

Good luck!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Splendid it seems to resolve itself, step by step.    :)

Taking them to shelter works only if the shelter agrees to foster them and find them adoptions homes.  Many places dont work with homeless shy cats, and thus, in practice they are often immediatley  put to sleep, as they say. Although handleable sweet kittens are decently safe even in these shelters.

The safest bet is if you yourself find them homes.  How to screen the crooks and the inappropriate?   NOT by "kittens for free" to be sure!   Its nam nam for predating and people seeking sparring for their fighting dogs.  Or selling for medical experiment.

The trick is to demand at least 20 dollars!   Which is roughly the price payed by the experimenting institiutions...   If you feel uneasy to ask money, let the sum be a donation, in the CATS name, for some worthy cause both you and the adopter agrees upon.   Doctors without Boundaries, Red Cross, some suitable church group...

Another possibility is to ask for the return of spaying costs.  Which is reasonable for all to see, and also, the adopter doesnt need to bother with it any longer, so they are just happy.

My older bro, who once got on himself  12 kittens from his two young females, had ads, where he sold kittens to families with children, for 10 bucks.  He tried to arrange it so, the child come to his place with his parents.  The child had the money in hand, and he had the kitten in his.   And so the child payed up, and received the kitten.  With the parents standing behind, supervising and giving their quarantee.

As he told me, every one of these adoptions went lucky,  he knew becuse he visited them again several years later.

So, there are many solutions, but dont never give away for free, unless you KNOW the kitten will be receives as a precious gift.

So personally knowing the adopters is always an advantage especielly if they get an much discounted price.

So many people thinks, what is for free, is virtually worthless...  If there are any problems, its easier to just get another one, kittens, there are such to get for free.. Many thinks.

Good luck!
my mom already got few people who wantsone that she knows but since i don't know who they  are i don't know whether or not i should demand money from them too

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are there any books that i should read, i would like to learn much as possible about cat behavior and Nutrition , i already bought think like a cat 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are there other any tips to finding good homes, my mom have problem demanding money how do i convince her? she also say i need to stop having all these rules it not my fault that i care for them deeply,